How can I find the target !

bird-1

just bomb any civilian target you find ;))

just kidding..

I recommend using the TGP in WHOT/BHOT mode and scan the area. On the other hand you can have your wingman dive down in the target area to provoke anti air fire, so you can see the target. More risk but more fun =)

Third option would be JTAC reports or information from the TAD.

Oh and keep frame rate over 40 fps, since you will detect (moving) objects much quicker.

Greetings

boris

9900k, 2080TI, 64GB, ssd, valve index, Thrustmaster on virpil, virpil cm2 throttle, tpr pedals, mfd.

just bomb any civilian target you find ;))

just kidding..

I recommend using the TGP in WHOT/BHOT mode and scan the area. On the other hand you can have your wingman dive down in the target area to provoke anti air fire, so you can see the target. More risk but more fun =)

Third option would be JTAC reports or information from the TAD.

Oh and keep frame rate over 40 fps, since you will detect (moving) objects much quicker.

Greetings

boris

Thanks very much for your help, there is still a long way to go for me:pilotfly:

NFI_651/bird-1

NFI Chinese Web

Intel i7 6800k OC 3.7GHz | MSI X99 | Nvidia GTC1060 6G | DDR4 2400MHz 32GB | Sumsung SSD 256GB | Apple 27’LCD | TM Hotas Warthog for A10C & Cougar for FC3 | Saitek Flight Rudder Pedals

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic63864_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Turning on Labels can help too.

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

No, you didn't recommend labels. Naw I didn't think so. Couldn't have. Eye Twitching!

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

Turning on Labels can help too.

It doesn't help because some of the time (MP) labels won't be on and you won't be able to find targets without it. Look for the dust kicked up by moving vehicles as it's a good giveaway.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Hi Bird-1

Like most of the above have said, its mainly down to JTAC, but if 1 not available its down to the Mark1 eyeball.... use ur zoom function to scan the ground, look out for dust trails , it takes practice to find them but that's the whole idea...

From my experience in MP this weekend, don't stay heads down in the TGP while flying in a SAM and manpad infested area. Got nailed several times. I need to work on deciphering the RWR.

Also , got new info that friendly Mav launches will set off the missle warning indicator if they are in the area? Never saw it myself, but got it from a reliable source. Never knew that, so I guess that's another reason for calling "Rifle" before firing.

Its been mentioned before that you can play with icons on but I find them garrish looking.Would rather have a single black dot placed right over the targets and viewable by a simple deduction system where light and fog comes into effect governing the distance at which you see the black dots.This way you can scan visually and when you spot dots then you can start scanning with TGP for identifying etc.

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

you can modify the config\view\labels.lua file to turn the labels into a simple dot, change their viewable range, and even change the colors for each side so they're all set to black (0, 0, 0)

Unfortunately they're still not tied to fog, lighting levels, what have you.

For me, spotting targets is done 75% of the time using JTAC support. If there isn't JTAC hopefully the targets are pretty much out and the open or moving and easy to spot. If neither of the above is true I usually just go home!

Labels? Did I say that... naaahhhh... LOL

ps. Just pointing out a option .. we have many options in life -- as my wife keeps telling me .. she's very wise [well, at least, most of the time]

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

I was following this post as well,, last page,, I still have an outstanding question,,,, maybe this will help this thread as well?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=77599

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

what I do is keep my altitude around 15K or higher, put the plane into a 15 degree (give or take) banking orbit with the target search area on my right wing about 10 miles out.

Get on the targeting pod and search using White hot (my preference) and definitely use the MFD quick view ( I changed mine to NUM0 then numpad 6)... this in my view is crucial otherwise your eyes may explode.

Keep in mind that your pod may get wound up so I suggest using mark points... .when you get a few, change the dial near your CDU to "Mark" and they will show up on your TAD. If you dont use mark points, when your pod does get wound up, and almost certainly will, you will have to start your hard-earned search all over again.

i7 8700K @ 4.4Ghz, 16G 3200 RAM, Nvidia 1080Ti, T16000 HOTAS, TIR5, 75" DLP Monitor

Look its very easy especially when Noti A-10 is covering your ass. A-10C one that is me code name Raw steak dive in to said enemy territory. Bad guy on Loose starts busting caps my way. When Bam Noti wackes the bozo up side the head with some 30 mm that is team work:thumbup:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

The biggest mistake you can make whilst looking for a target with the TGP, is doing it right up close and personal.

You will see jack shit.

Go out of the AO for about 10nm, to 15nm, and circle around it, while searching for targets with the TGP.

You will see MUCH MORE on the screen, and whenever you "think" you see something, instead of pressing DMS up to zoom in, just hit the china hat forward short to zoom right in, and press it again to zoom right out if its a fake.

Also, you showed a winter scenery. That's a problem, the TGP sucks balls in winter with identifying targets, even if you switch between whot and bhot, so you really need to focus on that. The problem lies with the ground and it appears to be all camoflauged essentially, so you can be looking at a big hot target but you wont see it because of the ground its on, overlays the same exact color.

So practice on all other seasons first, and when you get that down, go for the winter setting, and start to look for that.

Remember, 15k and above is your friend! Most common Sams in this game have a range below that. Anything stronger than that, and it doesnt matter what altitude you are at, you will get fired upon, but 15k is a sure way to see targets that might be hiding behind something if you were low, and be sure you can avoid the common sams.

And stay the fu*k away until you got something!!!!

PS: Another way to do this is have the guys in multiplayer look at you, while you tell them you are going low, look for tracer fire.

They will suddenly have lots of targets of opportunity when you fly by hehe. I do it all the time, and most of the time dont get hit, if there are only AAA to worry about.

I am typically scanning for targets as far as the pod will let me all the way in to the target area.

I have my jet on auto pilot 5 degrees nose up, scan many miles around the target area. I make mental notes of where the threats are and sometimes set some mark points. By the time I am around 20 miles out I am at 10 to 15K, flying level and already have my first pass already planned out. Shoot the closest threats first, then extend, reacquire the next and work my way in.

Unless I am flying with my flight lead, then I just high cover him and shoot the red triangles he sends to me :)

Just practice your pod-fu and you will become an expert at finding the air threats in no time. For tanks, and such, just fly low, visual, look for tracers coming up, and shoot them with your gun. Or put a pod on them, climb out for some altitude, come back around and CCRP a 97 down there.

Edit to add.. In the pic you posted, lets say you know there are enemy down in that area but could not get tally, and didn't want to fly lower to search visually to reduce the risk of being shot at. What I would do is just drop a mark point using the MRK or Mark button on the up front controller. Then extend about 10 or so miles and slave the target pod to that mark point. Then set up a nice long orbit on auto pilot and work that area with the pod to try and locate the targets. Remember that the Mark will be right below your aircraft at the time you hit the button so adjust the direction of your search accordingly.

Also remember to pull your head out up of the pod every once and a while, and look at where the pod seeker head marker is on your HUD. If its way off the side, turn your aircraft until you see the pod marker in your HUD. Many times I have been so focused on searching for targets and scanning every last street, alley or hillside, that I am now scanning area that is 20 or so miles away from the original target area without realizing it :)

Edited by Rider1

Welcome to the wonderful world of a mud mover. Don't turn on labels because that is heresy. Pretty much everything else that everyone has posted should help out a lot but the biggest thing is experience. I've had plenty of times where I've flown around the AO looking around for what seemed like forever with the TGP, not found anything, used my MK1 and found what I was looking for. The different tools at your disposal are all great but you can't use just one of them especially if it isn't working out. Practice, practice, practice, experience, experience, experience.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

EtherealN: I will promptly perform a sex change and offer my hand in marriage to whomever

Flying at the altitude from those pics in the first post, it will be much more effective using the eyeball and zoom function (search for Speed's binoculars post mod). We've been flying lots of missions in our squadron where we are search large areas (30mi x 30mi) with zero intel on specific locations of targets (many static). Have to search towns, treelines, etc. In most situations, and particularly when there is any hilly/mountainous terrain involved, TGP is difficult/slow to use to cover large areas. WAY more effective to simply look out the cockpit and use zoom. Takes practice, but your situational awareness will also be x10 as you get to know the terrain around you.

"just drop a mark point using the MRK or Mark button on the up front controller"

Hmmm,,, I did not know that would drop a mark right where your hog was as soon as you hit that button,,, it is VERY helpfull! Like dropping bread crumbs,,,,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

hello

if i understand it right,

-AWACS cant give info on ground targets?

-only JTAC can?

-so , without JTAC, if one wants to search for ground targets in some undefined area,TGP is the only way?

-if so, if the mission builder makes a mission with 2 waypoints and puts several ground targets way east of that second waypoint, how can the pilot detect those ground targets, as he does not know where the mission builder has put the targets? Or is this impossible?

In the briefing you either tell the pilot exactly where the targets are if they're non portable or give them a search zone. You don't just put targets around if they're important without saying someone could be around there.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing