Hello I'd like some help taking off please

mrbobo

Hello, I recently picked Blackshark off steam a couple of days ago during the sale. The 500 page manual was over-welming (i know nothing about sims) but this fellows helpful guide has me up and shooting within hours.

The problem I have at the moment, it seems most missions you don't need to do any prep for startup but I want to learn how to do it. I followed

youtube video step by step but when I fire the "start" on the engine, it seems to starts up for a few seconds then just turns off again. I'm kinda unsure exactly what i'm doing wrong.
  • Like 1

I hear your lament.

I spent at least a week learning how to take off cold.

This video helped me (I just tried it over and over until I had it): http://youtu.be/oucXaEZG0vM and one or more online guides (google "black shark startup checklist").

Once you get it down, it feels very cool... and I bet you end up showing off to your honey (or at least trying to! LOL!)

If you can record a track. Wait until this happens then exit and click save track. Then when you post here click go advanced and click on the paperclip icon on the toolbar there. It took me 25 minutes to have the bird with most systems running when I first learnt. Was missing important stuff though.

Edit: let me watch your clip. It's your APU that's turning off not the engines. Don't move the switch marked APU-Eng 1-Eng 2-Turbo gear until whatever you're starting is fully spooled up. You also moved the main hydraulics switch to off (should be down). Read the startup sectiong of the manual many many times. It will help. The red levers are the engine cutoff valves. Don't move them till turning the engines on. Also the blue AP buttons: it should be the bottom right of the four you turn off. That's altitude. The other's you need.

Edited by Jona33

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Wait till the APU has fully started (3 green lights on the APU control panel) enable the EEGs for both engines then hit the selector switch on the start panel and press start, when the engine hits 20% RPM open the engine cutoff lever and let engine spool up and once stable at idle mode repeat the process for the right engine.

...but when I fire the "start" on the engine, it seems to starts up for a few seconds then just turns off again.

Most like missing fuel to the engines.

Post a track so I may see what you are doing.

Edit: Never mind, I see you have posted a clip.

Hello again, I recorded a clip of attempting to start up. Any idea where I am going wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otFp4FZpRjY&feature=youtu.be

Hahahaha. Sooo, what did you say about the crew chief's wife? Guess he didn't take it too kindly because he left your bird without a single drop of fuel. Since the APU requires fuel, it stops after just a few seconds of operation. :-)

Ask kindly, though, maybe he's already forgiven you. With an open cockpit door, call the comms menu, ground crew, refuel, 50% (for example). The fuel indicator in the lower right corner of the forward panel will soon start updating the fuel state. Then you're ready to spool up the APU and then the engines.

Guess what it was? After 3 hours, I realized the training mission I was on, didn''t start you with fuel. haha. So, after ordering a re-fuel, worked first time. Easy peasy.

Oh man. *face palm*

Thanks for the help . *thumbs up*

Aside from the fuel problem, it's somewhat obvious you're new to Black Shark, so all the buttons and switches don't yet mean anything to you, they're just some obstacle to overcome in order to get airborne.

What helped me tremendously in order to understand the startup procedure (vs. just following it) was this video: Leading Edge Training. It's a newcomer must-see IMO.

Aside from the fuel problem, it's somewhat obvious you're new to Black Shark, so all the buttons and switches don't yet mean anything to you, they're just some obstacle to overcome in order to get airborne.

What helped me tremendously in order to understand the startup procedure (vs. just following it) was this video: Leading Edge Training. It's a newcomer must-see IMO.

The main problem seems to be comprehending than flying. User videos seem more helpful than the ones the developer put out as the manual seems to mainly use keyboard shortcuts rather than showing you what to click on. The developer video as well uses a radio type voice which can be difficult to decipher at times esp considering the rate at which the video goes.

I'll check out that link, thank you.

The Leading Edge video is indeed excellent.

Everyone is struggling at first, so dont worry, take your time and study how to operate this thing. Most important is not to hurry. Actually I would advice to forget about blowing stuff up at the beginning and just concentrate on how to start and fly the chopper. :)

Oh and because we all went through this I can already tell you what the next big topic is that you will be scratching your head about, once you are in the air: the beast is called the trimmer and the autopilot modes. Once you are in the air and your chopper starts to behave very strange and you feel like you have to fight it to keep it from crashing then remember this thread and read this: BS Auto Pilot description and operation.

And read it again. And again. Sorry, dont want to scare you, have fun flying this amazing chopper / sim. :thumbup:

The main problem seems to be comprehending than flying. User videos seem more helpful than the ones the developer put out as the manual seems to mainly use keyboard shortcuts rather than showing you what to click on. The developer video as well uses a radio type voice which can be difficult to decipher at times esp considering the rate at which the video goes.

I'll check out that link, thank you.

This is why I started this some time ago

mockup_003a.png

I dropped it.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=59108

Thats quite cool. If something like that was made into simple interactive flash type program I imagine it could be quite useful for flight sim simpletons such as myself.

Does Black Shark 2 work with steam? Is it worth picking up as well? I read they couldn't put it on steam for some odd legal type reason.

Guess what it was? After 3 hours, I realized the training mission I was on, didn''t start you with fuel. haha. So, after ordering a re-fuel, worked first time. Easy peasy.

Let me guess: It was the Dragon's freeflight mission :music_whistling:

I had the same problem. How could I assume, that my commanding officer is sending me on a mission in the machine with no fuel?!? It seems like the ground crew is drinking more wodka than they can handle :thumbup:

Thats quite cool. If something like that was made into simple interactive flash type program I imagine it could be quite useful for flight sim simpletons such as myself.

Does Black Shark 2 work with steam? Is it worth picking up as well? I read they couldn't put it on steam for some odd legal type reason.

Flash trainer is available. If you don't know about it it means you haven't read the topic :sly:

I had the same problem. How could I assume, that my commanding officer is sending me on a mission in the machine with no fuel?!? It seems like the ground crew is drinking more wodka than they can handle :thumbup:

Well, and you forgot to check your fuel gauges... :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Does this fellow have anymore videos? That was very informative.

Unfortunately, no. He did plan to do a complete series of training videos for a fee, had bought a new rig to record high quality videos, had his website up and running, released a first introduction lesson for free and then disappeared. I haven't read from him in years, no clue what happened.

Guys, does anyone know if Miguez is still around? Google searches don't turn up anything for me, most info is years old or refers to other people by the same name.

mrbobo, if you're interested I can upload that first (and only) introduction lesson of the Leading Edge Training series. Since it was released for free, I don't think Miguez would mind (and if he sues me, at least I'll know he's still alive). But that lesson is mostly an appetizer. I'd have paid for the full set if he had continued that way (and still would, because there's still so much to learn in Black Shark).

Black Shark2 has been released, but is not available on steam. It is available here on Eagle Dynamics website. Upgrade right now is 19.99... I highly recommend the upgrade. LOTS of changes over bs1 including the ability to fly in the same game as the Warthog. It also supports a new trigger system that allows for interactive cockpit training, which I am in the process of creating.

Edited by BigfootMSR
  • Like 1

DCS: A10C Warthog JTAC coordinate entry training mission http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/99424/

DCS: Blackshark 2 interactive training missions http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84612

Black Shark2 has been released, but is not available on steam. It is available here on Eagle Dynamics website. Upgrade right now is 19.99... I highly recommend the upgrade. LOTS of changes over bs1 including the ability to fly in the same game as the Warthog. It also supports a new trigger system that allows for interactive cockpit training, which I am in the process of creating.

Thanks for the info, will probably pick it up.

Too bad you can't get it on steam though. Seems odd considering you can buy DLC for games. Also allowed GFWL and Ubiplay to run through it.

http://www.checksix-fr.com/downloads/DCS/BlackShark/Docs/Normal%20Checklist%20%28Beginner%29%20v1.9.1.pdf is the checklist i use and it was very useful to learn the cold-start procedure. has the locations of all the switches for each step given. took me about 20 minutes to run through it the first time, and i've got down to about 2 for scramble-start with it.