Virtual Tuskegee Airmen

Bearitall

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the virtual tuskegee airmen today they recieved there very first first factory fresh P-51D straight out the Fishy Factory....

what you reckon to this then ? what shall we name her ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=67432&stc=1&d=1340407713

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

extended my stick today. about £26 all in. only real cost was the garden hose attachment from america £14, £2 for the copper parts. £10 for the ps/2 extender.

only work required was to cut away part of the grey plastic. remove the housing for 1 end of the p2/s connector, and the chap at the hardware store kindly cut off 10 mil of the copper reducer (28to26 mil). (6 inches of pipe @ 26 mil). no glue, welds, solders or joins, and perfectly stable. i could glue the pipe to the reducer or put a screw in, i might try different sizes of pipe.

i reckon 2-3 if not 4 times the precise control i seek aquired ! SORTED !

update: having flown a while with it now. its essential imo. especially for the `stang

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

We are Proud to Announce A New member to our Team

Hello Everyone;

At this time Virtual Tuskegee Airmen are very Proud to announce a new member to our team who I know will bring extreme added experience to our team..

This new member is: VH-Rock...his knowledge will be a intragual valued asset to us..

I welcome VH-Rock to VTA-Virtual Tuskegee Airmen...

I hope everyone congratulates him on this Announcement...

Cheers..:thumbup:

Edited by Double_D

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

• 2 weeks later...

Test Run #4 Slot

hey;

Last night I did a test run at #4 Slot with Tank from the FSX Blue Angels..here are some picture's..

tankwolf7.jpgtankwolf9.jpgtankwolf8.jpgtankwolf6.jpgtankwolf5.jpg

tankwolf.jpg

tankwolf1.jpg

tankwolf4.jpg

Learn something new also during this test run..at least I found for myself I had to run 2 less RPM, which allows me better throttle control..and less kick when throttle up

Edited by Double_D

[/Table]

What's the new RPM you are flying formation with Air Wolf?

I was @23 rpm...it allows me to throttle up and down for holding position easier..

But of course this easiest for me but maybe different for others...experiment!!!!

[/Table]

OK. It would be interesting to know what RPM the real pilots that fly formation in the P-51 fly with. Just to compare your experience with the FM.

Looking at the pictures I just posted that is the settings I used to keep close like that..again that is just my preferences..others may do different..:music_whistling:

[/Table]

Please not that Wolf is flying level passes and turns and the moment so any cruise power settings will do. Flying formation with cruise power settings is quite a relaxing experience. I certainly would not recommend these settings for any more strenuous than a gentle turn.

It is also worth saying that, personally (and I think most other formation pilots would agree with me), it is always beneficial to run the same settings as the leader. As you gain experience, you throttle bracket (the amount you move the throttle forwards and backwards) will become less and less, eventually resulting in very small movements as you start to understand the aircraft more. Torque is not an issue here as there is not a big difference when you have a small throttle bracket.

• Like 1

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

Please not that Wolf is flying level passes and turns and the moment so any cruise power settings will do. Flying formation with cruise power settings is quite a relaxing experience. I certainly would not recommend these settings for any more strenuous than a gentle turn.

It is also worth saying that, personally (and I think most other formation pilots would agree with me), it is always beneficial to run the same settings as the leader. As you gain experience, you throttle bracket (the amount you move the throttle forwards and backwards) will become less and less, eventually resulting in very small movements as you start to understand the aircraft more. Torque is not an issue here as there is not a big difference when you have a small throttle bracket.

True True..I was just following the leader at a easy pace...of course this was just a test run ..to get use to the feel and placement of the plane..

Practice practice practice....and more practice

Edited by Double_D

[/Table]

Yep, these settings are fine for getting from your departure airfield to aerobatic box. But, when you run in for the show, Manifold pressure and RPM should be increased to aerobatic specifications which you will have pre determined in your training flights.

Correct Boss..I hear ya...as Lead my settings are pre-determined..with adjustments along the way..I still have alot to learn..and the enormous help I am getting is getting me there...soon to do more intense moves...maybe tonight...:music_whistling:

Still a long long long road ahead of me..

[/Table]

.. you throttle bracket (the amount you move the throttle forwards and backwards) will become less and less, eventually resulting in very small movements as you start to understand the aircraft more. Torque is not an issue here as there is not a big difference when you have a small throttle bracket.

I'm on a X52 Pro joystick and have configured manifold pressure on the throttle it self and RPM on a slider. Is that what you also have?

(HJ)

I'm on a X52 Pro joystick and have configured manifold pressure on the throttle it self and RPM on a slider. Is that what you also have?

(HJ)

I have the TM Warthog..one throttle for Power(thrust) the other for RPM...what you have set up is fine..:thumbup:

[/Table]

.constant changes in manifold rock refers to. not RPM and not both together.!. and a window of operation for the manifold. RPM is generally set and not changed at the same frequencies as the manifold. if there is a change in RPM it comes at a point where the routine changes. but for general formation RPM is set.

, lets say wolf is in lead and is set at 40 on the manifold. to fly formation near him constant adjustment is required, so we may set a window of 35-45 where we use the manifold. in that window so to speak. and pumping the throttle back and forth to keep formation. this window will start large as you get used to it and get smaller when you get close and comfortable in formation.

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

RPM is set and kept constant throughout the routine. It is changed after take-off to climb, once your at altitude to cruise, and then just before you start your routine. At this point, the RPM will not be changed until the routine is finished.

When I say adjust power, that is done by changing the Manifold pressure by using the throttle. The lead will keep a consistent power (Unless a change is required at a specific time, in which case everybody changes) and you fly trying to match his settings.

I have an X-52. I have manifold pressure (Throttle) set up on the standard X-52 Throttle and I have my RPM on the rotator next to the magic mouse. Flying Formation gets to the point where you don't really have to think about the throttle at all, it just comes naturally after a while.

Edited by VH-Rock

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

Agree, using the same settings to begin with helps greatly. Also, as mentioned, the finer control inputs you can do the better off you'll be - but just because one pilot isn't making any changes doesn't mean you might not need to move your own controls since your aircraft is displaced (in space) from the flight lead while in formation. Any climb, descent, turn or correction won't be identical between two airplanes in the formation, albeit often only small differences in input are noted.

OK so when Rock talks about throttle changes he is refering to RPM? You don't change the manifold pressure?

Adjusting MP is what you'd do in the real plane as well when flying a constant speed prop. Typically you only set and reset your RPM a few times during a flight, such as climbout, cruise, before landing etc., so while maneuvering you'd have it set prior as well and then use your throttle (MP) to add or reduce power. Aerobatic flying demands a little more power than cruising around. The side effect of maneuvering with more power is that the left turning tendencies such as P-factor, adverse yaw and torque are more prevalent in high AoA, low speed and high power setting instances (which is where you'd find yourself over the top of a loop or rolling maneuver typically).

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

Hey;

Just a reminder the pic's were of just an experiment I was trying out...I heed VH-Rock's instructions with great respect along with my former Lead/tutor" Lawndart "..

Edited by Double_D

[/Table]