Linden's A-10C cockpit build

linden

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great all you need are some indicator pointers and you will be set. A very realistic looking replica there:thumbup: Great work!!!

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

• 3 weeks later...

It's nice seeing the text on it isn't it? :)

Is that from the same place I got mine? It loos like it. Now after seeing Deadmans pictures I am wondering if I should keep my replica as is - how it looks in the game or how it looks in RL.

I can tell you, it's a tight squeeze in some places to get those 67 switches in there. I am putting in some omron tactile switches rated for 1.000.000 cycles. This week I plan to send out the gerber files to have the custom PCB made.

What are your plans for the electronics?

It's nice seeing the text on it isn't it? :)

Is that from the same place I got mine? It loos like it. Now after seeing Deadmans pictures I am wondering if I should keep my replica as is - how it looks in the game or how it looks in RL.

I can tell you, it's a tight squeeze in some places to get those 67 switches in there. I am putting in some omron tactile switches rated for 1.000.000 cycles. This week I plan to send out the gerber files to have the custom PCB made.

What are your plans for the electronics?

Yes its the same 4" lcd, a very nice lcd.

I was so lucky that I found an old video card with s-video out, which was

ATI the same that I use now, so it was possible to use both.

have a plan ready for the CDU, but I have to do some more research

how it should look like, as you say the RL is not the same as in the game.

I'm thinking of making a PCB for it, or maybe I do something with

SMD Push Button attached to the backplate.

But a PCB is better :)

linden,

The monitor is from good display?

Yes it is, But as the framework for this lcd does not sit exactly in the middle, so you get a little short on space whit the buttons around the LCD, but it will probably work in some way :)

Hi Linden, it works no problem. If you see my thread you can see from the front that it is centered fine.

Here is a picture of the faceplates turned around. The LCD fits nicely in the space. and there is still space for the cutouts of the buttons. You could move them farther away from the lcd but then you will get clearance issues with the sides around where the dzus fasteners go.

Also, when you do a pcb it's an ideal thing to mount the lcd of the LCD on to. I will be adding 4 mounting holes so that the lcd card can piggy back on it.

photo.JPG.25b099240f10bd634f2079f4593992ec.JPG

Edited by metalnwood

Not sure if any of this helps you Linden but this is how I was mounting my pcb and LCD driver board.

I will mount my own electronics in the same way, on the back of the switch PCB a bit lower down. Until I get the real PCB made this is just a copy of it dimensionally from acrylic to check things out.

pcbmockup.JPG.c2a91f4f4b2e5d700952ec11b1e7f68c.JPG

Thanks for the info Metalnwood!!

Im gonna put the smd on my backplate, just need to figure out how to

get light in to the buttons, working on the blueprint right now and maby i can

fit smal diodes on the back of the button, just next to the pin on the smd.

And i will try to light it from behind and see if the light goes trow allt the way.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi linden

Very nice !

In the post , offering panels, you wrote that you use a painted plate. I have 2 panels so far from a friend of mine with a laser-cnc. he is using a plate, white with black cover from factory. But I do not have a name from this stuff.

Have a look.

I am interested in paneld from you, for sure. The point is my friend is doing business with his laser and he hat not the time nor is it his hobby making the layout for the panels. So great that you have the equipment for that work and you are also in the hobby :thumbup:

How about a caution Panel ? I made mine from a photographic slide, looks okay but not like a real panel.

I am following your work and will wait until we can order !

Thanks so far

Tom

Tom that looks like the stuff I use for my panels. It's LaserMax by Rowmark.

It looks like that same company makes a product called "Lazer Glow". Its basically a panel that glows in the dark. This is a cool feature being that you can just engrave the lettering and it will glow in the dark, eliminating the need to use back lighting on the panels. Its supposed to be tested to glow for hours with just minutes of light exposure.