How do i get DCS world?

Hey all,

I only have DCS A-10C. Im gonna do an uninstall of it (i havent used it in forever), download the latest version of A-10C, and install that. After I do this, how do I get DCS World? Do I need DCS World to play online? Im confused by this whole thing haha.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

DCS World is an environment into which you install modules for each of the flyable aircraft. So instead of launching the A10 standalone when you want to fly Hog, and start BS2 when you want to fly Ka-50, you'd launch World which contains both and then choose. So what you want to do is install World (can be found under the P51 download on the main site) and then the A10 module.

You can play online with anyone using the same version, as with everything, so if the people you fly with use the standalone version maybe you should wait with World. Also, World is currently in beta, which you can keep in mind when deciding. It's pretty stable though.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

can you still play missions in dcs world?

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

can you still play missions in dcs world?

Everything works more or less the same. The various products (aircraft) are just part of a bigger picture. If you install BS2 and A10 you will have all the missions that were in the standalone versions. You will also have the missions for the Su-25T.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

As Cichlidfan said, but for some added clarification of the difference between DCS World and the "old system";

It used to be that you had a lot of separate installs. For example, you'd have separate and independent installs of DCS:BS, DCS:A-10C and FC2.

DCS World just ropes everything into the same install, with each aircraft acting as a "plugin" or "module" to this installation. The base program is free software that does not cost you anything, and does include the Su-25T from the FC series as a sort of "demo". If you then purchase an aircraft module (or other type of module, like Combined Arms), this will install into DCS World. You'll still fly and fight as per normal, just everything is fitting into the same installation.

More information: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89885

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

What if I download the beta and full version will be released shortly. Will the beta then be patched to full or will I have to reinstall everything after I've finally plugged everything into the World?

EDIT: Ok I just figured out that the new World update isn't beta anymore... :doh:

Off to reinstall the A-10C.

Edited by Griffin

What if I download the beta and full version will be released shortly. Will the beta then be patched to full or will I have to reinstall everything after I've finally plugged everything into the World?

EDIT: Ok I just figured out that the new World update isn't beta anymore... :doh:

Off to reinstall the A-10C.

World is still beta, it has beta in massive letters on the loading screen. :D

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

The fact that ED are keeping to a tight versioning structure ie 1.2.3.4 and they have supplied upgrades previously between minor versions could suggest this is likely, certainly from a customer service point of view.

But there can be no guarantee that something technical between versions precludes any upgrade process requiring a clean reinstall.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

As Cichlidfan said, but for some added clarification of the difference between DCS World and the "old system";

It used to be that you had a lot of separate installs. For example, you'd have separate and independent installs of DCS:BS, DCS:A-10C and FC2.

DCS World just ropes everything into the same install, with each aircraft acting as a "plugin" or "module" to this installation. The base program is free software that does not cost you anything, and does include the Su-25T from the FC series as a sort of "demo". If you then purchase an aircraft module (or other type of module, like Combined Arms), this will install into DCS World. You'll still fly and fight as per normal, just everything is fitting into the same installation.

More information: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89885

great information. one more question. all of these third party aircraft, will they be incorporated into dcs world?

Yes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I will buy and use DCS world after it becomes more mature..lazy don't want to uninstall and download more than once as I have the A-10C and BS2. By the way how do include youe equipment inyour signature block?

Thanks,

rogueone

CPU AMD FX 8350 * core @ 4.3 GHZ/Font

MOBO ASUSSabertooth 990FX R2.0/Font

RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengence 1600/Font

Graphics 6970 & 6950 xfire

HD 750GB @ 7200 RPM

SSD HD Intel x-25 160GB

SSD HD 2 240 GB

Win 7 Pro

Controllers Warthog & Saitec Rudder

Track IR5 3 monitors 27" LCD and 2 10" VGA

By the way how do include youe equipment inyour signature block?

User CP > Edit Signature

Then just type it. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Hi,

Is the BS2 upgrade functional in DCS World? I read somewhere that only the standalone version of BS2 works in DCSW. Thanks...

BTW the whole thing sounds great, aim downloading DCSW now, but I have the BS2 upgrade. Either way, I still would like to try the Su25T and I will buy A-10 and CA in the future. Looking forward to CA alot!

If you could add (develop) a sub sim like "Sub Command" (or Janes 688i) into DCSW that would be killer!

Edited by red2112

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS World just ropes everything into the same install, with each aircraft acting as a "plugin" or "module" to this installation.

/showthread.php?t=89885

Thanks for the clarification. I am sure you all are aware that with all the new excitement (World, 3P devs, ...) that there are always going to be questions.

I have one concerning the "integration" of module files into the core DCS: World installation. Looking at the way the A-10C module installed, I wonder if there is some thought going to a way to "gracefully" separate install files? It looks like the A-10C module installed pretty tightly into the DCS: World folders ... not sure if there was any overlap of files.

My question derives from two sources: a way to uninstall a module without damaging the core installation, and what happens when mods are installed that affect one module but not another (or World mods)?

Seems like this would be the ideal time for ED to have in it's toolbox an idea of file structure that would meet the needs of de- and re-installs. And I am thinking that mods are going to be a big plus hit with the core-module concept and opening development to 3P groups so that a folder structure making mods easy and usable would be a good thing.

Any thoughts along these lines?

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

Thanks for the clarification. I am sure you all are aware that with all the new excitement (World, 3P devs, ...) that there are always going to be questions.

I have one concerning the "integration" of module files into the core DCS: World installation. Looking at the way the A-10C module installed, I wonder if there is some thought going to a way to "gracefully" separate install files? It looks like the A-10C module installed pretty tightly into the DCS: World folders ... not sure if there was any overlap of files.

My question derives from two sources: a way to uninstall a module without damaging the core installation, and what happens when mods are installed that affect one module but not another (or World mods)?

Seems like this would be the ideal time for ED to have in it's toolbox an idea of file structure that would meet the needs of de- and re-installs. And I am thinking that mods are going to be a big plus hit with the core-module concept and opening development to 3P groups so that a folder structure making mods easy and usable would be a good thing.

Any thoughts along these lines?

All modules only install into their own folder in the folder called MODS.

Nate

Hi Guys, Getting ready to install DCS World and the P-51...then install the A-10C and BS2,

can I install DCS world and the P-51 only...then later (a few days). uninstall the a-10C and BS2 and then at that time reinstall A-10C and BS2 in DCS world?

I havw afriend coming over to see my set-up. I would like to have everything runningfor his visit before making a lot of changes.

YYour advice appreciated........rogueonne

HD 750GB @ 7200 RPM

SSD HD Intel x-25 160GB

SSD HD 2 240 GB

Win 7 Pro

Yes.

However, note that you do not have to uninstall your current A-10C and BS2. Also note that if you have the Upgrade license for BS2, this will not work with DCS:World during beta for technical reasons.

So to get things running, all you really need to do is install World and the modules you want for it. I'd even recommend keeping the current installs for now, since they are "stable" and not "beta".

Also, no need to deactivate, the DCS:World modules will use the same activations you already have on your computer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

DCS World - order of operations

Yes.

However, note that you do not have to uninstall your current A-10C and BS2. Also note that if you have the Upgrade license for BS2, this will not work with DCS:World during beta for technical reasons.

So to get things running, all you really need to do is install World and the modules you want for it. I'd even recommend keeping the current installs for now, since they are "stable" and not "beta".

Also, no need to deactivate, the DCS:World modules will use the same activations you already have on your computer.

Thank you for your prompt reply..mow I can continue with my download and installation

rogueone (Dr. Roger R Clausen )

HD 750GB @ 7200 RPM

SSD HD Intel x-25 160GB

SSD HD 2 240 GB

Win 7 Pro