High Speed/ High Altitude

Hi All,

Just a quick question about DCS world? We all know how well the environment is suited to low and slow aircraft like the hog and the shark but the new aircraft such as the mig 21 will be the first to be able to attain supersonic speeds and high altitudes. Will the sky darken and will be able to see the curvature of the earth for example at 60,000ft?

Regards,

Ceri

DCS is widely derived from Lock On / Flamming Cliffs that already had several aircrafts such as the F-15 and Su-27 capable of going as high as level 1000 (35k meters). So basically the very high altitude experience in DCS is likely to be the same : dark sky and visible stars in plain daylight, but flat earth ;)

It's actually a funny question because at some point Lock On was all about fast movers, and we were wondering if the environnement would be any good from the point of view of a Ka-50 (when it wasn't yet released). And now tanks are coming ;)

Edited by 92nd-MajorBug
92nd Kodiak Air Force - May the Greuh be with you

I was flying the MiG-25 yesterday in DCS:World and yes, the sky darkens, you can se curvature and even stars are visible in broad daylight. The bad thing is that the map is a bit to small for that kind of aircraft but I think most smaller fighters will be okay as they will run out of fuel quickly. Another bad thing is that visibility range seems short even when it's maxed out in options.

rlgm7k.jpg

Edited by Brisse

One question: why does the ground darken? ;) It should brighten slightly as you get higher (more light reflected at the viewer).

Best regards,

Tango.

Dunno! That screenshot I posted above is in broad daylight. This need tweaking I think.

• 1 month later...
I was flying the MiG-25 yesterday in DCS:World and yes, the sky darkens, you can se curvature and even stars are visible in broad daylight.

rlgm7k.jpg

I've never been able to see the curvature of the earth due to the weird black scattering of light at high altitude, but it appears the sun is related to coordinates and altitudes. So, is the earth in DCS world REALLY round? Or is it just a sun position trick?

lvElW.jpg

There is no earth curvature in DCS, if you really want to see this for yourself - open graphics.cfg and goto line 192 and change to

far_clip = 500000;

or even greater, you'll see the whole area is flat regardless of altitude.

Edited by Mustang

• 2 years later...