Processor vs. Graphics card in Lomac

Here's my whole system. Don't you think it should run LO smooth? I only use 1024 res with 4xfsaa/4xaf, and med settings in the LO. I even tried low settings, and I still get stutters even with the fps showing very high. I'm beginning to think something is starting to fail in my system.

Coolmaster case with 5 fans

Enermax 450w PS

Asus P4C800 DDR/400 875P

P4 3.2

Zalman cooler

Corsair 512 mb (2)

X800XT PE

WD 80GB 8mb

Audigy 2

XP Home SP2 DX 9.0c

Buzz

I have a similar system to you and I have no noticable stutters (if any). Maybe you answer is another gig of ram.

I run at 4xAA 8xAS @ 1280x960

I used to run LO (not FC) at 1280 res with all high settings. I would just click the high button and leave it there. I don't remember stutters back then.

Something has to failing on my system, but i'm not sure what at this point. What do you guys think? HD? Maybe it's dizzy from all my formats..;-)

Buzz

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

well, all i can say to this is, when in SLI mode and with the load counter program running, lockon uses like 20% max of both video cards power. it doesnt even make the counter jump up and down like in other games, its a rock steady load usage around the 10% mark for each card, thus only roughly 10% of each card's power is required to run this game, the rest being cpu.

when jumping from a single 6800gt to single 7800gtx, i also noticed 0 increase in anything, as i stated before, it may have to do with the pc being just a 2800+ and not being powerful enough for the 68gt that was in it but thats another story.

so from all the testing and messin about ive did, it basically proves that no matter what kind of video card you have, as long as its say a 6*** or x700 upwards then lockon is then solely cpu dependant from that point onwards, after a certain point, the video cards do jack performance wise.

basically what i am saying is, once you have a decent enough graphics card that can run the game on its highest settings without to many problems, then thats it, you have the best settings, now all you have to do is have a decent cpu to get more fps.

Running a P4 2.8 @ 3.2, 1 gig-O-ram, AGP vintage, 17 monitor @ 10X7. Just a normal non-Uber system that anyone might have. Vcard wise, didn't want to 'invest' in anything AGP. Just wanted a Vcard that would fully utalize my current rig till PCI-e settled in.

Set up a single benchmark run. Home-made track of the 'Oil Terminal' A-10 mission with the whole terminal on fire. Smoke and blazes everywhere. Ran a 6800GT, then a 850XT, then a 800XL and then a 6600GT (4X AA and 4X AF, hi/med). Recorded a fraps set for each run and laid 'em side by side in Excel. Identical results + (-) a couple of FPS here and there. 6 months ago, saved $250 by going with the 6600. For my basic rig, the big cards made no difference. Even at an Intel 3.2 level, it seems that the 6800/850 cards driving 17" monitors at normal resolutions (at least for me) provide no benefit.

If stuttering only happens during HD access, then take a look at your transfer mode on your IDE controller in your device manager. There's still this strange behavior that this setting rolls back to "PIO only". This means that your CPU is used when data is loaded from your HD into the RAM, which is fatal in LO.

This setting has to be "Ultra DMA Mode X" for all the drives.

EDIT: Buzz, I just saw that I have the same HD and I had this problem. It always reverted to "PIO only" after a certain amount of time. If this is the case on your system I'll try to figure out what the solution was ;).

If stuttering only happens during HD access, then take a look at your transfer mode on your IDE controller in your device manager. There's still this strange behavior that this setting rolls back to "PIO only". This means that your CPU is used when data is loaded from your HD into the RAM, which is fatal in LO.

This setting has to be "Ultra DMA Mode X" for all the drives.

EDIT: Buzz, I just saw that I have the same HD and I had this problem. It always reverted to "PIO only" after a certain amount of time. If this is the case on your system I'll try to figure out what the solution was ;).

I just looked, and it's set at "Use DMA if available". That's the only option I have besides PIO.

edit..On a closer look. It's set at "Ultra DMA Mode X" :(

Buzz

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders