Issues with Helios profile and DCS World/BS2

I'm trying to use the DDBrico profile http://www.gadrocsworkshop.com/node/14 with DCS World/BS2 and having a few problems. Note I had to reset this profile for my two displays but I don't think that can be causing any of these issues.

Firstly, the Shvkal display remains showing the static "off" background when the Shvkal comes on, blocking the exported view. I guess that's supposed to auto-hide when it detects the Shvkal comes on, which doesn't appear to be working.

The Abris display seems to have a similar problem and the on/off switch doesn't sync with the KA-50 (when doing auto startup anyway) but flicking the switch on the Helios monitor to On results in the Abris displaying properly, so I guess that switch hides the static background (I don't think there's any matching on/off switch in the Helios profile for the Shvkal that could be used to hide the static background).

I note another Gadroc profile shows the Shvkal and Abris without any static backgrounds http://www.gadrocsworkshop.com/node/17, so do we need to just stop using those?

Another problem is that some of the switches do weird things, like the Blade Tip Light switch on the hidden Panel Elec seems to do what F2 does and switch to an exterior view. It's assigned to {RALT}j though. Perhaps some of the default keys have been changed between this profile being designed and BS2 1.2? Some of the other switches bring up the briefing screen (not sure which key that is).

On the overhead panel, Panel Sup, the Windsh-Wiper switch does make the in-cockpit switch move but it doesn't actually turn the wiper on (it works if I click on the in-cockpit switch rather than the Helios one). Looking at it in the Editor, under Release it has "send keys Keyboard to" set to empty but it also has "Set Mechanical Windshield Wiper Switch on DCS Black Shark to 2" (if I select the upper part of this switch in the Editor, I can see there's a "position one entered" and "position two entered" entry which set it to 5 and 1 respectively) and as I say, it does make the in-cockpit switch move, so it's weird that the wipers don't activate.

Is there a list of keys for BS2 1.2 anywhere as I have a load of documents but they all seem to be for previous versions? A list of just the keys that have changed would be useful as well if anyone has one, as that would enable me to quickly find the Helios switches that need editing.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

I dont use any static backgrounds, just a black desktop. Other do though, with no trouble I guess.

There are some Helios/BS2 bindings that do not work correctly, both for switches and exported lights. I started making lists about them for others to note but it just seemed like a waste of time. Try looking at the original SCI website. I know these:

1. signal flare power

2. nav lights

3. some ADF switches

4. K-041 power

5. AP DT/DH switch

6. R-828 test LED

there are others too as you have found.

ABRIS switch works fine though. Sounds like you may be triggering it with a button pulse and not a binding, but it is hard to tell with what we know here. Make sure it does not have an extra button assign to it.

Helios may be incomplete with a few bugs, but it is a great program. All we can do is try to list the bugs and wait for them to be fixed when Gadroc finds some RL time again.

Edited by JG14_Smil

Thanks. I've edited the profile to remove the Shkval "off" background now and now I can see it properly. I can also see my desktop picture in the Shkval are when it's off but I don't mind and as you say, using a black desktop for the Helios monitor will solve that problem.

I don't know if the problems are necessarily due to Helios or just incorrect key-bindings in the particular profile I'm using. I just read (and stupidly lost the page) that RAlt+J is indeed the wrong binding for the Blade Tip Light switch, or at least it's incorrectly bound twice so that it switches to exterior view, so that's a DCS bug.

I haven't actually tried switching the ABRIS with a key-binding, I was just testing with the auto-startup sequence and it didn't switch on in Helios. If I start a mission where everything, including the ABRIS, is powered up, it's switched off in Helios until I flick that switch as well. I could just remove the ABRIS "off" background as I did with the Shkval one though, as a workaround.

Thanks for the list of known non-working bindings. I'll check those on the profile I'm using.

Edited by doveman

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Yep. RCtrl+J is "Jump into selected aircraft" so I needed to change the Blade Tip light to the correct RCtrl+RAlt+J.

Intercom was also wrong on LCtrl+LAlt+W, which is "Windscreen Wiper Switch" and the correct combo is LCtrl+LAlt+Z.

The Fire Extinguisher System switch was wrong as well on LCtrl+LShft+W, which is "Electrical Power Battery 2" and should be LCtrl+LShft+Z.

Wheel Brake was set to LShift+Z where it should be just W.

There seems to be a pattern developing here of W where it should be Z (and vice-versa), so I imagine this was changed at some point in DCS' cycle.

I haven't got a clue how to fix the Windscreen Wiper Switch problem though as that isn't even set to send a key combo.

EDIT: There's a 10-position selector switch marked UGM.B that's assigned to LAlt+B, which is wrong as that toggles the Briefing on/off. I'm not sure what that should be set to.

EDIT2: I figured out that is the "Rocket and gun pods ballistics data setting" and so should be set to LCtrl+B.

I haven't totally solved the problem with the Fire Extinguisher System switch, as I changed it to LCtrl+LShft+Z in the only place I could find but it only sends that when switching to the top-most position and still sends LCtr+LShft+W when switching to the lower two positions.

None of the controls on the rear right panel synchronise with the in-cockpit controls either, meaning the in-cockpit switches will be up and the Helios ones down.

EDIT3: Ah, found that the Fire Extinguisher System switch "OPER" has three layers, so I needed to change all three to LCtrl+LShft+Z.

Edited by doveman

Hello,

If you are using Helios, try to use bindings and not key presses. Sending a keypress is a last resort for me. Out of 200+ switches, only a few send keystrokes.

1. Use a Helios binding.

2. Use a button pulse if it will work. (in DCS and not Helios)

3. Use keystrokes if the others won't work.

Only option 1 will stay in sync with DCS. Options 2 and 3 will never be able to stay in sync without luck. If you are not using option 1, you are not getting the full potential from Helios. I use real switches so I am not familiar with the glass cockpit stuff, but it sounds like you have some bound backwards.

If I remember correctly, the fire ext. 1-4 buttons won't work by bindings (add to Helios bug list).

Blackshark fire extinguisher has only two redundant systems, not three. Don't waste time with the third position.

Edited by JG14_Smil

I hope you don't mind, but I wanted to point out the basic concept of what could make some buttons work backwards.

- You have a controller with ten buttons. Buttons 1-4 are on, 5-10 are off.

- You look at Windows Game Controllers, it shows your controller with four buttons on, six buttons off. (Windows starts polling right away)

- You start Helios and bring up your controller tab. It will shows all ten buttons off. (Helios does not start polling until it sees a change)

- You turn on button #5. POOF! Helios now shows five buttons on, five buttons off (I seemingly "woke it up").

By turning on one switch, I just sent four other commands to DCS through Helios. These can make switches work backwards to what you wanted if you use keystrokes or button pulses, taking you out of sync. If you used Helios bindings, DCS button will stay in sync until it is told to "turn off". If you use Helios bindings, you just set five switches automatically.

This is how my system works. I am sorry if yours is different and I am making it harder to understand. :)

Edited by JG14_Smil

Hello,

If you are using Helios, try to use bindings and not key presses. Sending a keypress is a last resort for me. Out of 200+ switches, only a few send keystrokes.

1. Use a Helios binding.

2. Use a button pulse if it will work. (in DCS and not Helios)

3. Use keystrokes if the others won't work.

Only option 1 will stay in sync with DCS. Options 2 and 3 will never be able to stay in sync without luck. If you are not using option 1, you are not getting the full potential from Helios. I use real switches so I am not familiar with the glass cockpit stuff, but it sounds like you have some bound backwards.

If I remember correctly, the fire ext. 1-4 buttons won't work by bindings (add to Helios bug list).

Blackshark fire extinguisher has only two redundant systems, not three. Don't waste time with the third position.

Thanks. I was curious why some of the switches are using keystrokes and others are using commands like "Push System Master Caution on DCS Black Shark". The tricky thing is going to be finding the correct commands to replace the keystrokes with.

For momentary buttons like the fire ext. ones, it doesn't really matter if I use keystrokes rather than bindings, as there isn't an issue with them getting out-of-sync, unlike with toggle switches.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there.

I have a problem with Helios after installing DCS World 1.2.1.

My gauges and indicators stopped working on my second monitor (A-10C). They worked fine with the previous version. Does anybody have any idea what did I do wrong...? :cry:

TM Warthog no.00128

You didn´t do anything wrong. The new version overwrote the files used for Helios work. And they are listed on this post:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=88732&highlight=helios+dcs+world

If you have a backup of these files, just overwrite them. If, not......Well, it´s gonna be a looong day.

BTW, everytime the upgrader installs something, check inside the folder he created (something like bko00001, bkp00002 inside you root folder), and see if he replaced any modified (for Helios, for instance) file. If so, just bring the backed up file back.

It happened to me last night (on the second upgrade), and messed up my Helios (again). I just moved back the files backed up, and everything returned to normal.

Thank you all for the advices!

First of all, there is no \DCS A-10C\Scripts\Aircrafts\A-10C\Cockpit folder on my HD. I made a clear setup with DCS World 1.2.1.

Second, I hit the setup button in Helios (previously I entered the correct path for DCS Wolrd), but nothing happened. Both MFCDs are in their correct position, and all the indicatprs and gauges are frozen.

Maybe I missed one little step somewhere, but I don't know where, when.

TM Warthog no.00128

This is the path for the World A10C scripts:

x:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts

This is the path you need to use in Helios to get the export.lua to be written using the "setup" button:

x:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\

Make sure that the Helios editor is running in administrator mode also.

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

http://www.blackknightssquadron.com/

Now I gave up. :surrender: I've configured dcs+helios many months ago, only once, and worked fine. Now it doesn't work. Maybe I'm an idiot because I forgot everything, but the fact is, I can not make it to work.

I don't remember any abracadabra with many lua files (except monitorsetup and snapviewdefault), and the whole dcs on two monitors+helios worked well.

It must be my fault, and it must be a very little, single moment that I missed. Pffff... idiot. :dunno:

Does anybody have a checklist (have you done x? Have you done y? etc.)?

Thank you guys for your helpfulness and patience.

TM Warthog no.00128

So, I did all the things that you've linked me above. I've modded the export.lua file, the viewports (I have never ever did it before and Helios worked...).

I've created a new Helios file (after I've reinstalled Helios) from Loz vSM1.2 template. I've added the DCS-A10C interface and modded the install path for DCS World.

And still doesn't work. I can see all the MFCD's and the RWR, Digit Clock, etc. indicators on my second monitor (I resized and repositioned them to fit the Helios profile) but the gauges are still stationary.

Any idea...? :helpsmilie:

TM Warthog no.00128

59th_Bird,

I suggest you start a new thread. I started this one to ask about fixing issues with a specific BS2 Helios profile, not A10C.

With every new update I've lost my radio menus, now Helios. I have to start from scratch again and burn a day trying to get this working. But whats the point if the next micro update just resets and deletes all that work?

Look in your dcs root folder there is a folder named backup.xxx that will have all your modded files. Just copy and paste those files back to their correct locations and all will be fine.

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

http://www.blackknightssquadron.com/

• 2 months later...

Doveman,

did you ever get this working, how you would like, Ive just downloaded it, and reset monitors for my 4 monitor system, with all the helios panels, moved onto the one touchscreen.

Problem is they now all overlap each other, How did you get them to hide, what im after is having main panel with all others hiddern, until i touch a hiddern button to call them up, just like loz's panel for A10.

sorry if this is basic stuff, but im useless at this sort of thing, was just wondering if you could let me know how you did it.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Cowboy10uk,

I found the same when resetting for a single monitor but I just deleted the extra windows as there's not enough room for them all on one monitor. You probably could make them hidden and make extra buttons down the bottom to toggle them but I could never work out how that works in Helios as it's not at all user-friendly.

No problem mate, I've managed to hide them now, just trying to figure out how to make hidden buttons, although to be honest, the ones on there on not essential for flying anyway. Just had a quick flight and it works with the combined lua as I fly the A10 as well. :D

Now I just ave to go through it and change all the key problems that you found. Thanks for doing that by the way, and then it's setting up the exports for the camera, shikval and countermeasures display.

Only issue I think I might hit, is I think the shikval uses the same export as the Rmfd in A10, and I need to set up both to export but in different places on the screen.

Ummm gonna be an intresting few days. :)

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

• 1 year later...

I'm Hunting for a functional Helios Profile for BS2,,,,,:no_sad:

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle