Maverick Ground Stabilization

ferriwheel

My apologies if this topic has been discussed somewhere in the forum but I'm really not sure if this is to be expected. When I try to lock on a target using a Maverick seeker head, I would put the crosshair in the proximity of the target and ground stabilize it (TMS Down). Then I would try to refine my aim by slewing the crosshair closer to target but the slewing seems to cancel the ground stabilization and I usually end up losing the target all together from the FOV...

In other sims that I've been playing, the ground stabilization seems to work hand in hand with any further slewing making aiming much easier. Not sure which better resembles reality.

Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS better resembles realitity on that front

You can do a couple of things to make life easier:

* Get in the habit of ground stabilizing after every slew (even the tiniest adjustment)

* Line up your Maverick attack so that the wagon wheel (Mav HUD symbol) is close to your TVV. The Mav seeker will be more predictable like this

* Use your TGP to line up your shot...yawn :D

• Like 1

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

When it comes to slewing, change the SLEW value from 5 to 1

And I'd agree with "Line up your Maverick attack so that the wagon wheel (Mav HUD symbol) is close to your TVV"

Edited by ZoomBoy27
  • Like 1

ZoomBoy

My Flight Sims Page

- Link to My Blog - Sims and Things - DCS Stuff++

- Up-to-Speed Guides to the old Lockon A10A and Su-25T

- Some missions [needs update]

Thanks guys. As long as the behavior of the seeker head is what ED intended it to have, I'm happy to adopt all the techniques above to cope with it.

It's just my intuition that this probably is not how Mavericks function in real life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Your intuition is wrong. Now, the controls on a real HOTAS might be easier to handle, but other than that ... you're wrong.

It's just my intuition that this probably is not how Mavericks function in real life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

That would actually make the cursor slew faster. If you want it to be slower, the number needs to go up.

I think that's desirable.

Everyone is different though, I for one set slew speed via the stat page to 0.5 (TAD cursor, TGP, TDC). And always set my MAV to 1. I'm using the HOTAS warthog and swear by those settings...but I fly with plenty of guys who use the same hardware but do the exact opposite with slew speed.

Also, if you're flying erratically and way off bore sight with the MAV, slew speed has nothing to do with how much the seeker head appears to "jump" around. It's a function of the seeker gimbals not being able to keep up with aircraft manuvering

Mav seeker stabilization has been bugged for a long time. The seeker is gyro-stabilized...when slewing, the seeker should be space stabilized. It's a known issue. It will get fixed eventually.

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

• ED Team
Mav seeker stabilization has been bugged for a long time. The seeker is gyro-stabilized...when slewing, the seeker should be space stabilized. It's a known issue. It will get fixed eventually.

In my understanding space stabilization should work only while you hold TMS Left Long (Suite 3.3 mechanization). Am I wrong?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

• ED Team
Hey Oleg,

There should be a juicy bug report in Mantis, if I remember correctly. If you can't find it, let me know.

Yes, just have found it, and it says exactly what I am saying about the space stabilization - press and hold to stabilize.

Anyway, I used to think that Ferriwheel is asking about a different problem - once you have touched slew, ground stabilize (TMS Aft Short) is cancelled, and the seeker head goes off the target area.

P.S.

Check you email please.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Space stabilization is indeed TMS Left (hold). However, the same conditions for space stabilization are also met when slewing (missile video present, seeker uncaged, brakes released). The only difference is that slew commands act directly on the torquer motors which slews the seeker in the earth-fixed inertial reference frame.

I'm pretty sure I submitted a bug with the details of the various missile states and seeker behavior. Obviously, I can't access it, but it should have been fairly recently...

Or maybe I'm remembering it wrong, and I added a comment to someone else's report, or just posted it in the forum. I'm not sure exactly, but I remember typing the whole thing up somewhere. Lol...

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

• ED Team
Space stabilization is indeed TMS Left (hold). However, the same conditions for space stabilization are also met when slewing (missile video present, seeker uncaged, brakes released). The only difference is that slew commands act directly on the torquer motors which slews the seeker in the earth-fixed inertial reference frame.

I'm pretty sure I submitted a bug with the details of the various missile states and seeker behavior. Obviously, I can't access it, but it should have been fairly recently...

Or maybe I'm remembering it wrong, and I added a comment to someone else's report, or just posted it in the forum. I'm not sure exactly, but I remember typing the whole thing up somewhere. Lol...

It would be really useful to read your description then. What happens to the seeker when I stop slew, and the missile can't lock anything right after slew released?

Edited by Olgerd

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It would be really useful to read your description then. What happens to the seeker when I stop slew, and the missile can't lock anything right after slew released?

A Breaklock results and correlate track is automatically commanded to ground stabilize the scene to aid in target (re)acquisition.

• ED Team
Is the last part recorded in IR ?

No. A-10C does not have FLIR.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What was the part they were talking about with oil, where he said it went bonkers for a sec then showed normal? It's at 2:48, something about stabilizing in one minute? I know that oil pressure is essential to keep the parts lubricated and if it drops below a certain amount then the engine will start to shred and break parts off possibly, but it seemed like there was more to it with what they were saying. Btw, LOVE THAT VIDEO, pissed myself when the guy was in sensors for mavericks the whole time ahahah. That and shit pilots dont say are my favorite so far.

Edited by ralfidude

What was the part they were talking about with oil, where he said it went bonkers for a sec then showed normal?

During maneuvering, the oil pressure fluctuates. With zero or negative g maneuvers, the oil pressure can drop to 0 psi. This is ok as long the oil pressure returns to normal within one minute.

The boldface for an erratic oil pressure indication is to operate the engine at minimum power (but not idle) and monitor the pressure. If, after one minute, the pressure has not returned to the normal range, the engine is to be shutdown before it has a catastrophic failure.

...LOVE THAT VIDEO...That and shit pilots dont say are my favorite so far.

It's a really good one. My personal favorite moment:

"I've got a CCIP INVALID with BDU-33DB"

"Are you in hot elevation?"

"Hot..."

"...Verify how I do that again"

"...Should read 700"

Dude enters 2

:lol: