Win8 Compatibility

I feel tempted to pick up a copy for my laptop, but at the same time I would love to get one of the Win8 Pro tablets once they're released and their price heavily drops lol. So in the meantime $40 isn't the worst.

Do you get to choose whether it's x86 or x64? Or you get both in the .iso or disc sent to you?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Old System Specs:

CPU: AMD Pnehom II x6 1090T

MOBO: Asus M4A88TD-V

GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

HDD: Hitachi GST Deskstar 7K3000 2TB

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

Monitor: Gateway FHD2400 24" (1920x1200)

Mouse: Logitech G9x

Extras:

LG WH10LS30 BD Burner

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Sharkoon SR 5.1 Surround Headset

Thrustmaster T1600 Joystick

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you get to choose whether it's x86 or x64? Or you get both in the .iso or disc sent to you?

The copy I ordered (currently in transit) was specifically identified as 64bit. Of course, I have no idea what's on the disc.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the vendor (Newegg) did have a separate listing for the 32bit version.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The copy I ordered (currently in transit) was specifically identified as 64bit. Of course, I have no idea what's on the disc.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the vendor (Newegg) did have a separate listing for the 32bit version.

Oh, okay. See I'm looking to purchase the upgrade promo directly from Microsoft and my laptop is 32 bit, desktop for gaming and what not is 64. I don't want to run Win8 on my desktop at this time, but potentially would like to down the road.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Old System Specs:

CPU: AMD Pnehom II x6 1090T

MOBO: Asus M4A88TD-V

GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

HDD: Hitachi GST Deskstar 7K3000 2TB

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

Monitor: Gateway FHD2400 24" (1920x1200)

Mouse: Logitech G9x

Extras:

LG WH10LS30 BD Burner

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Sharkoon SR 5.1 Surround Headset

Thrustmaster T1600 Joystick

Oh, okay. See I'm looking to purchase the upgrade promo directly from Microsoft and my laptop is 32 bit, desktop for gaming and what not is 64. I don't want to run Win8 on my desktop at this time, but potentially would like to down the road.

If you are getting a system builder edition, or the upgrade, that might be different. I ordered the OEM since it was cheaper and would do what I wanted.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I feel tempted to pick up a copy for my laptop, but at the same time I would love to get one of the Win8 Pro tablets once they're released and their price heavily drops lol. So in the meantime $40 isn't the worst.

I dont know if its the same as in win7, but when winseven came out i bought an x86 disc but installed a x64 version and the key worked for both versions. So in that case the .iso had just the x86 version, but the cd key worked for the x64 version too.

I think this might help you.

Edited by swe_badger

AMD FX-6300

8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LP DDR3 RAM

SAPPHIRE HD 7790 DUAL-X O/C 1GB DDR5

2TB SEAGATE HDD

WIN7 ULTIMATE X64

I have been using Windows 8 for a few months now. DCS works fine under Windows 8 (I would say even a tad smoother for me)as do all other games I have tried.

I suggest after installation that you download and install classic shell (It's free).

It will give you the complete look, feel and similar functionality to Windows 7, start menu, booting to the desktop. Metro screen and charms bar are still accessible as well but only if you want to access them. You can live on the desktop if that is your desire.

The only way that you will know you are running Windows 8 is that you will get better file copies, integrated antivirus/antimalware and access to the new GUI if you want to use it.

You can swim, the water is just fine.

Out

Edited by PoleCat

OK - this is seriously screwed up by MS or I missed the boat completely........Here's the issue:

I purchased, got my serial and downloaded the files for setup, 2.63GB via the Upgrade assistant. Now there's the first problem as the 64-bit files are supposed to be 3.3GB.

As if that is not enough, all attempts at install proved useless, probably because of the file discrepancy.

OK - What now?

Google advises that I redownload the install files - good advice? One would think so, would you not?

Think again.

I cannot redownload any files as all attempts to run the upgrade assistant prompts me to purchase the product again prior to getting to the download. I have already purchased the product but cannot download the setup files :music_whistling:

Does anybody have any advice/ideas for me where I can download the setup files for Win8 64-bit without having to spend another £25?

Honestly, I have spent the better part of an afternoon on this and am none the wiser.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

OK - this is seriously screwed up by MS or I missed the boat completely........Here's the issue:

I purchased, got my serial and downloaded the files for setup, 2.63GB via the Upgrade assistant. Now there's the first problem as the 64-bit files are supposed to be 3.3GB.

As if that is not enough, all attempts at install proved useless, probably because of the file discrepancy.

OK - What now?

Google advises that I redownload the install files - good advice? One would think so, would you not?

Think again.

I cannot redownload any files as all attempts to run the upgrade assistant prompts me to purchase the product again prior to getting to the download. I have already purchased the product but cannot download the setup files :music_whistling:

Does anybody have any advice/ideas for me where I can download the setup files for Win8 64-bit without having to spend another £25?

Honestly, I have spent the better part of an afternoon on this and am none the wiser.

LOL! This is so sad because I was -until yesterday- in almost the exact same position as you. Luckily I figured it all out with some help and some serious detective work. Here's your solution, you're welcome:

This is how I got a working Windows 8 Pro x64 installation from a 32-bit Windows XP license. All of the below instructions can and must be done from any 64-bit Windows installation, use you're secondary PC or your gf's PC, any 64-bit Windows installation will do (except maybe XP 64-bit, I'm not sure).

1. Open up the email that you recieved from Microsoft when you bought your license. In it -on the top under the big "Thanks for your purchase/order" head- you will find the sentence (translating from Swedish now) "If you need to download Windows just enter your new Product key here."

2. Click on "here" and it will re-direct you to enter your Win 8 license key and you will receive a file that looks the same as the upgrade assistant and is the exact same file size and the name of the .exe is different but it isn't the same.

3. Just start the downloaded .exe file and follow the instructions, don't worry it won't install anything on the PC you are doing this on. It will just download the Windows installation files (64-bit version in this case) and when it is finished it will prompt you to either install the freshly downloaded files right away OR make a bootable ISO or USB.

4. Choose to create an ISO or USB and when it's finished making either one of those, simply put your fresh Win 8 DVD or USB stick in the computer you want to install it on. You can even make a fresh installation on an empty drive if you want to instead of doing the cumbersome upgrade from a previous Win 7/Vista/Xp installation. Just like a regular OEM/Retail DVD.

Typing this from my fresh 64-bit Windows 8 Pro installation, happy as can be!biggrin.png

AMD FX-6300

2TB SEAGATE HDD

WIN7 ULTIMATE X64

LOL! This is so sad because I was -until yesterday- in almost the exact same position as you. Luckily I figured it all out with some help and some serious detective work. Here's your solution, you're welcome:

If only it was so easy.....:wallbash:

Doing what you advise above just gets me to download another upgrade assistant, prompting me to purchase before I get to the download screen. It does not even ask me for the serial key, it just starts downloading the assistant.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If only it was so easy.....:wallbash:

Doing what you advise above just gets me to download another upgrade assistant, prompting me to purchase before I get to the download screen. It does not even ask me for the serial key, it just starts downloading the assistant.

That shouldn't be, if you click on the link in your e-mail you should be prompted to download a file called "Windows8-Setup.exe". It's the exact same size as the upgrade assistant BUT the first thing it will do is to ask you to input your Windows 8 license key that is in the very same confirmation mail that you will find the link to the "Windows8-Setup.exe" file in. I just did it myself in my own confirmation mail to be sure. I also took the time to make a screenshot of my confirmation mail to show you which link to click on:

1996419748_installationhelp.jpg.911d00ce41dc44e228bf09a1acb70b20.jpg

Edited by swe_badger

AMD FX-6300

2TB SEAGATE HDD

WIN7 ULTIMATE X64

OK - part of the mystery solved. Does not work on my main PC where I purchased it on, but does work as above on another PC, prompting me for a serial and allowing me to download again.

Now the next question:

How do I know that it is downloading the 64-bit files now? No indication on order or download that it is actually the 64-bit files that are being downloaded.

Nothing is ever simple eh :megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK - part of the mystery solved. Does not work on my main PC where I purchased it on, but does work as above on another PC, prompting me for a serial and allowing me to download again.

Now the next question:

How do I know that it is downloading the 64-bit files now? No indication on order or download that it is actually the 64-bit files that are being downloaded.

Nothing is ever simple eh :megalol:

As I mentioned in my little "guide", if you are doing it on ANY 64-bit windows installation (Vista or 7 64-bit at least) it will automatically download the 64-bit files, I guarantee it. It's really daft of Microsoft I know but I guess it's to simplify for people that don't know the difference between them 32-bits and those 64-bits I guess.:doh:

P.S Boy was I happy -and releived- when my install was finished and I went to my computer info and saw that 64-bit OS notice in the properties of "My Computer".

Edited by swe_badger
  • Like 1

AMD FX-6300

2TB SEAGATE HDD

WIN7 ULTIMATE X64

Thanx M8 - running my second download now - hold thumbs :D

For the record, how big is the 64-bit .iso/USB thingiemabob?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanx M8 - running my second download now - hold thumbs :D

For the record, how big is the 64-bit .iso/USB thingiemabob?

No worries, glad I could help. With regards to the iso/usb thingiemabob, I just checked the USB I put my install on and it shows that approx. 2.66GB of space is occupied on my 8GB USB stick. I have to say, that's some impressive compressing considering the whole 64-bit installation takes up roughly 20GB of space when it's finished. You wouldn't believe how fast it installed and was up and running. Also the start-up and shutdown times are radically improved, I have a 5900 RPM drive but I swear, Win8 boots up and shuts down faster than Win7 did when I had my SSD drive (RIP). Great stuff. With regards to the new start screen, I like it as I now think of it as a kind of new Start Menu, switching between it and the regular desktop is totally seamless.

Edited by swe_badger

AMD FX-6300

2TB SEAGATE HDD

WIN7 ULTIMATE X64

Windows 8 certainly Installs, boots up and shuts down faster then Windows 7. File copies are also much better. I used the Windows 7 USB download tool from Microsoft to convert the Windows 8 ISO to bootable USB easily.

This new OS is quite cool.

Note: New version of classic shell released today with a number of improvements.

Out

I've also had a nightmare experience trying to upgrade from 7 to 8!!!

Have an Acer Inspire 4820TG... it's a quality laptop with an i5 running 64bit W7.

However the upgrade fails EVERY single time at 68% completion with not a single clue as to why....

It does mention during the initial Upgrade Assistant that it seems the CPU/BIOS on my lappie might not support NX and thus the install may fail. But I have no indication if that WAS the reason it failed. I also have multiple partitions, 1 for temp/outlook/programs/documents.... have no idea if that's the reason. I am pissed and have just given up... thankfully I didn't pay anything 'cos I'm a Technet subscriber.

i7@3.5Ghz, ATI 5870, 16GB RAM, win7 64bit, TH2GO, Track-IR, 4screen pit, TM WArthog HOTAS

Windows 8 certainly Installs, boots up and shuts down faster then Windows 7. File copies are also much better. I used the Windows 7 USB download tool from Microsoft to convert the Windows 8 ISO to bootable USB easily.

This new OS is quite cool.

Note: New version of classic shell released today with a number of improvements.

Out

Man, I'm soooo glad I got over my install and activation hiccupps....Win8 runs a helluva lot better and smoother on my system, probably the best OS i have had to date. Boots in twenty seconds from a Raptor that must be close to 4 years old already - even DCS loadup times are twice as fast for me. Now that could be indicative of a wonky Win7 install but I'll take it whichever way I can get it. Even the install process was lightening-quick and painless, a far cry from all my previous OS installs.

Ta for the Classic shell tip Polecat - compliments metro well, although I actually prefer Metro for 80% of the time/tasks I do so I'm well happy with this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Boots in twenty seconds from a Raptor that must be close to 4 years old already

Eew! Go get yourself an SSD already. :)

(I'm in the middle of getting things installed on my new SSD, and 5-sec Win7 boot is mighty sweet.)

I'll probably end up looking at Win8 at some point, but I typically only switch OS whenever I do a complete OS rebuild. Gets me the advantage that the worst kinks in a new OS release are usually sorted out by the time I put my dirty paws on it. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I'll probably end up looking at Win8 at some point, but I typically only switch OS whenever I do a complete OS rebuild. Gets me the advantage that the worst kinks in a new OS release are usually sorted out by the time I put my dirty paws on it. :D

Aye, I'm no techno-wizard but I swear it's almost as if someone took a particularly large cracker and shoved it up Win 7's a$$ and lit the fuze........What resulted is Win 8, the performance is really that good.

I can see where they are coming from with it and it's all good. I mean yeah, the average programmer or person who relies on Win7 for their livelihood will not get much extra use I suppose. For the average-joe like myself the added comforts/convenience/user-freindliness and bling that one gets with Win 8, when looking at how much I paid for it, makes me start giggling like a naughty nun about to get scragged :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Either that, or they'll do what they did with vista: wait a service pack, do some cosmetics, re-launch it under a new name; and then people will suddenly love it. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

It takes about 10s to load windows 7 for me, i.e. less than Bios post. So this windows 8 (aka windows gone psichadelic squares in the 1960's) for me is like... meh...

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Considering how rarely I reboot a machine boot time is never really an issue anyway. ;)