Russian hud why no flight path vector?

CoBlue

See screenshot.

These are soviet aircraft we are talkting about. And FPV wouldn't be a tool with soviet symbology. It would be even a possible cause for accidents with the symbology used on those (and some new) planes. And RuAF MiG-29/Su-27 still fly well even without it.

You're right again! I don't fly A-10C too often. :) I'm not sure how we got to talking about that number, but I'm sure you know that if the FPV is gone, the source of data for that number is most likely gone too.

I understand that an FPV would not be the best addition to a Russian HUD, there's a lot of "stuff" going on in the center of a Russian HUD that would not go well with an FPV... but of course that ties into why I think the western symbology is better. I'll leave it at that.

there's a lot of "stuff" going on in the center of a Russian HUD that would not go well with an FPV

It's not about the quantity of stufff on the center of the HUD: FPV = real horizon line. So you roll 45 degrees right. So horizon rolls 45 degrees left, aircraft symbol rolls 45 degrees right and the symbol is now visualy has roll of 90 degrees to horizon.

"Я ошеломлён, но думаю об этом другими словами", - некий гражданин

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

It's not about the quantity of stufff on the center of the HUD: FPV = real horizon line. So you roll 45 degrees right. So horizon rolls 45 degrees left, aircraft symbol rolls 45 degrees right and the symbol is now visualy has roll of 90 degrees to horizon.

Yes. I was just making the simpler argument. There's too much going on in that space to put an FPV there.

What is said meant, that it would be very difficult for you to fly by instruments in case of HUD failure or poor weather conditions, IF you learned and used to flying by the FPV only.

I can guarantee you that there is none pilot in the western world that is used to fly by the FPV only:thumbup:

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

It is very bad habit to learn flying with FPV. It would be very difficult to fly without it due to failures, especially in poor weather conditions.

That's like saying it's a bad habit looking through the sights when shooting a rifle instead of firing from the hip because sights might break or be misaligned!

• 2 months later...

i prefer the simplicity of the su-27 HUD to say the f-15/f-16 in some ways, certainly speed and altitude displays are way better (cleaner) IMHO, but i really miss the FPV and G meter.

is there no way to mod the HUD?

My kit: i7-4790K@4GHz / 8GB - GTX 980ti + rift CV1 - X52 pro - Multi Keyboard Remapper - 2DOF motion sim (in development)