Finally, a New Tutorial

Ironhand,

Excellent work. Glad to see you back to train nuggets like me. Your 1.0, 1.01 and 1.02 tutorials helped me a great deal.

S!

Nowi

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

ASUS Sabertooth X79

4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix VLP PC3-12800

ASUS Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti 8 Gb

Seasonic Platinum 860W

Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt

CH Products PT/TQ/MFP

Slaw Pedals

TrackIR 5

WhiskeyRomeo,

Your difficulty probably stemmed from the fact that I didn't use LoMan to package it. It's a simple zip file.

You're right. I didn't notice the missing .lma file till I read your note.

But I had noticed that your websites download page said you were using LoMan to package your tracks.

You're right. I didn't notice the missing .lma file till I read your note.

But I had noticed that your websites download page said you were using LoMan to package your tracks.

(Slaps his forehead.) I had been using LoMan until I discovered that LOMAC had been given the ability to play OGG files. Up until that point, I used LoMan as a means of creating smaller tutorial download sizes. Originally, LOMAC only played WAV files. So LoMan converted the larger WAV files to the smaller OGG files for downloading. Then it converted them back to WAV when you installed them. Now conversion back to WAV is no longer necessary and doing so actually makes the installation bigger than it needs to be.

Guess now I need to find the time to adjust my website to reflect the change. Oh goodie. One more thing to do. :)

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Another great tutorial.

Thanks a lot! It's awesome how you play with those SAMs that usually kill me if they only come in pairs...

I think I got the idea of evasion, finally ;)

I'd also appreciate the idea of turning your former tutorials into video-files. Maybe you can spread the workload within the community so that not only one poor guy has to handle them all.

Unfortunately I'm not one of those video-wizards but I'm pretty sure some will follow your call if you'd only ask. What I could do is mirror/host two or three of those finallized videos on my webspace to share traffic.

Hi Ironhand, nice to see you back in action after that worrying quiet period. I have finally upgraded to Flaming Cliffs so I'm again able to enjoy your tutorials. Looking forward to more to come!

I'd also appreciate the idea of turning your former tutorials into video-files. Maybe you can spread the workload within the community so that not only one poor guy has to handle them all.

This is a great idea. It surely is frustrating and demotivating, to user and creator alike, to see the tutorials rendered obsolete with every upgrade of the simulator. Archiving them as movies would mitigate that. Offloading the movie conversion effort to the community would avoid increasing the surely not insignificant workload that Rich puts into these great tutorials.

That said, there are great advantages to be had by having the tutorials in track format also — such as the ability to take control and to study the action using all the diverse camera views provided by the sim. The latter is very helpful in many situations, e.g. to understand how SAMs behave. So I hope tutorials will continue to be made available in this form.

Anyway, thanks for the tutorial!

Hi egaRim,

That's great! Makes it far more enjoyable to RTB instead of riding the silk elevator to the ground...or worse.

And the idea of spreading the conversion workload is a good one.

Hi Attila!

Great to "see" you here! Obsolesence of tutorial and creator alike is indeed frustrating and demotivating. :) While there are disadvantages to movies, one great advantage (other than that they will always play back correctly) is that, should you miss something, a simple "rewind" allows you to review it. You don't have to start over from the beginning.

I'm talking with Ruggbutt now about rendering tutorials as movies. Thankfully (or distressingly) the repertoire of V1.02 and 1.1x tutorials isn't large. Once we've establish a format for the conversion, it'd be helpful to have others join in the effort. I've never converted a tutorial to a movie but I'm sure each will take a great deal of work. Nothing is ever as simple as it seems. My rule of thumb is to always double the amount of time you think something will take and scale it up to the next unit of measurement. So, something you think will only take 15 minutes usually ends up eating 30 hours of your life. :)

Take care,

Rich

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Remeber you can also play video files (divx, xvid for sure, I tested) inside LockOn.

You just need to press open, and switch type of file into "video files" locate the file it, and open it :)

But careful with sound codecs. For example the way the sound is encoded in F-Pole movie makes it not play inside LockOn.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

The tutorial tottally rocks! Ironhand, you are the man! :icon_supe I love your tutorials - perfect voice, rythm and everything. It's a pity that tutorials and version-oriented. Is there some way to easily convert them from version to version?

Guest ruggbutt

To expand a bit about making the tutorials into videos: It's going to take quite a bit of time. The fact that the AVI tool renders slowly and it's 2gb limit are only a couple of issues. The vids have to be high quality enough to see the subtleties of the tracks. Take for instance Rich's recent tutorial. The missile contrails need to be extremely easy to see in the resulting video. I can do that with some tricks used in Vegas. You can highlight the "whites" without taking away from the rest of the scene. I shot a 30 second clip last night for Rich to take a look at, and it seems that he's happy with the video quality. The resulting file size won't be small. I'm thinking 10mb for a minute of footage is a good guesstimate. I can remove some of the to and from flying where no action is going on, while retaining the voiceovers as Ironhand has plenty of things that he's teaching while he's ingressing to the target.

The main thing I want to do is to be able to keep the tracks true to Rich's vision.

Great Track Rich. You make it look so easy.

I was disappointed when it came to an end. I just cant get enough of your tutorials....

Hope the Video thing works out. It will capture your work for prosperity....Who knows, some future generation may define it as 'pure art'..

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

(Snipped)....Who knows, some future generation may define it as 'pure art'..

Now wouldn't that be a hoot? :)

And thanks.

Rich

_____

• 7 months later...

Sorry for bumping old thread.. I have downloaded the tutorial and it's great! Thanks for that.

I have one problem though. There is a reference to missile contrails (SAM's) in the tutorial. I don't see any contrails from SAM missiles at all (I do see my missiles contrails). Is there something wrong with my LockOn? (I use 1.12a)

I recall getting this tutorial when Ironhand first announced it and I do remember seeing the missles have contrails back then, but I just tried it now and they do not have them anymore and I have v1.12a as well so it must have been changed.

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

I have one problem though. There is a reference to missile contrails (SAM's) in the tutorial. I don't see any contrails from SAM missiles at all (I do see my missiles contrails). Is there something wrong with my LockOn? (I use 1.12a)

I just checked. The tutorial was made with V1.11 and apparently is not playing back correctly with V1.12a. The reason you're seeing neither contrails nor explosions of the SAMs below and behind you is because there are none to be seen. The SAMs are auto-detonating shortly after launch. For as long as I watched the tutorial--2 attack runs--none of the SAMs made it much beyond the tanks they were defending. Looks like this one will have to be converted to video, too, for correct viewing.

Rich

_____

I just checked. The tutorial was made with V1.11 and apparently is not playing back correctly with V1.12a. The reason you're seeing neither contrails nor explosions of the SAMs below and behind you is because there are none to be seen. The SAMs are auto-detonating shortly after launch. For as long as I watched the tutorial--2 attack runs--none of the SAMs made it much beyond the tanks they were defending. Looks like this one will have to be converted to video, too, for correct viewing.

Rich

Thanks for explanation. I thought it was the problem with versions.

Anyway the tutorial is great no matter the contrails! Thank you very much.