AoA for dumb bombs?

112th_Rossi

I've always had a bit of an issue with dumb bombs. Maybe it's a case of RTFM but...

The CCIP pipper is always outside of the HUD so I can't see it, but if I increase my AoA it appears. Does this mean at medium to low altitudes it's hard to bomb a target? It seems that I have to be in a steep 30 to 40 degree dive before I can properly see the pipper so I can 'put the thing on the thing' and pull the trigger.

Any advice welcome!

Funny you bring this up. I was struggling with this last night myself. Set a load out with several Mk-82s and tried practicing CCIP delivery on some practice targets. I failed to understand how/when I should start diving. I always came up short or overshot my target.

Haven't really tried the AIRs in CCIP.

It must have been 'Mk82 practice night' yesterday - I too was playing with a dummy mission trying to work out the best starting altitude and dive angle for Mk82s. I also concluded that high starting altitude and a steep dive makes it much easier to get the pipper on the target.

I guess the A10 isn't fast enough to project the impact point far enough infront of the aircraft.

Are retarded bombs any better?

Retarded bombs (Mk 82 AIR) put the CCIP pipper even further below the HUD. Think of it: the pipper depicts the impact point if you were to press the release at that instant. AIRs with drag chute armed will quickly dissipate forward velocity and land relatively close to the release point meaning the pipper must also be further below the aircraft.

Best use CCIP consent to release (CR) which is described on page 540 of the manual.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

Retarded bombs (Mk 82 AIR) put the CCIP pipper even further below the HUD. Think of it: the pipper depicts the impact point if you were to press the release at that instant. AIRs with drag chute armed will quickly dissipate forward velocity and land relatively close to the release point meaning the pipper must also be further below the aircraft.

Best use CCIP consent to release (CR) which is described on page 540 of the manual.

What is the point of retarded bombs then? If it's so awkward to aim your bombs using the regular 82s how can retarded bombs be of any use?

I can understand using them on fast movers at low altitiude

Should speed brakes be employed when diving?

To that question Eddie once replied that the Hog is slow enough by itself and you need the energy to make a quick escape maneuver. So, just go in fast (> 300 Kts) using CCIP CR, mark the target and, with the release button pressed, pull up straight until the bomb is dropped. That way you only need to be steep for a short time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

What is the point of retarded bombs then? If it's so awkward to aim your bombs using the regular 82s how can retarded bombs be of any use?

CCIP CR isn't awkward per se, you just need to train it a bit. And the purpose of a retarded delivery is to put enough distance between the blast and your aircraft, thereby lowering the safe release altitude. It's useful if you need to maintain terrain masking for example.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO

If you use CCIP CR you can fly very low, and you dont need to tilt the nose down more than a couple of degrees down before you get up the pipper. Its as said over, used if you need terrain masking while you attack. i really haven't used the retarded ones, if im bringing dumb bombs i usually take the Mk82's.

In CCIP i find it best if i put my target at 3\9 o'clock at 13000-15000 ft, and turn in when im around 5NM ish away from the target, this works good for me.I used the 476vFG's tutorials on most stuff and find those very good! you should check out theiyre Youtube channel if you allready haven't :)

I hope any of this helps!

Regards Anders

• Like 1

I've always had a bit of an issue with dumb bombs. Maybe it's a case of RTFM but...

The CCIP pipper is always outside of the HUD so I can't see it, but if I increase my AoA it appears. Does this mean at medium to low altitudes it's hard to bomb a target? It seems that I have to be in a steep 30 to 40 degree dive before I can properly see the pipper so I can 'put the thing on the thing' and pull the trigger.

Any advice welcome!

sometimes, even 45 degrees will do the trick too..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

You can release them from lower altitudes without risking to get caught in the blast yourself.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

You can release them from lower altitudes without risking to get caught in the blast yourself.

But the issue of AIMING is very undermining to potential of using them. Dunno. Maybe USAF someday will release an AIR guide.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

True but the A10 is incapable of going fast enough for the reticule to appear at low altitudes. It's much more of a guestimate.

You need to read about consent to release CCIP modes.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

low angle low drag deliviers are possible with the hog and i employ sometimes , tho due to the slow approach speed and escape speed i never use them a lot when i drop in anger.

Diving bombing is a good way to get the bomb on tgt. And the more speeds the better it hits your target. Also setting TOF and minimal alitude helps in getting the bomb on target.

Bascially if you want a good dive look at the target and when it drops below your nose wait 1-2 seconds, then tip in go inverted , pull nose to target, roll and voila drop bomb in less then 10 seconds. if you take longer then the AAA has a nice target for them self.

Also when in anger dont be afraid to drop dumb bomb in ripple 2. Rather have 2 boms on a tank and have the tank destroyed then do two passes and put your aircraft in extra danger

Insert comment here from my weapon officer Eddie to explain to whole more detail =)

Edited by WarthogSmurf

Rather than typing an 8000 word reply on the subject, which would not be at all difficult, I will simply say click on the YouTube link in my sig and watch the demo videos. If you then any specific questions regarding each delivery and/or safe escape then ask here and I'll do my best to answer.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Rather than typing an 8000 word reply on the subject, which would not be at all difficult, I will simply say click on the YouTube link in my sig and watch the demo videos. If you then any specific questions regarding each delivery and/or safe escape then ask here and I'll do my best to answer.

Any plans for new intake? I wanna join, BAAAD!!! :mad:

j/k

;)

When one passes, another is brought in. But the queue is well into double figures.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL