Sound modding

c0ff

• 4 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Expect to see Doc/Sounds/sdef_and_wave_list.txt file in the coming OpenBetas (can't promise it will be in the nearest one).

DCS World:
==========

Aircrafts/A-10/APU/APU1.sdef
wave:
	Effects/Aircrafts/A-10/APU/APU1
Aircrafts/A-10/APU/APU1Cpt.sdef
wave:
	Effects/Aircrafts/A-10/APU/APU1Cpt
Aircrafts/A-10/APU/APU2.sdef
wave:
	Effects/Aircrafts/A-10/APU/APU2

You get the idea. It lists all the sdefs and waves referenced in the DCS World and its modules.

You can create your own sdef files with the listed names - they will be used by the DCS instead of the stock ones. You can also reference (or replace in your mod) the listed wave files (yes, the names are w/o extensions).

Edited by c0ff

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Expect to see Doc/Sounds/sdef_and_wave_list.txt file in the coming OpenBetas ...

Thanks a lot, hope it cames out soon, as it seems really interesting :thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Where do i put awacs sounds mod? I want the awacs to be in English instead of Russian but i can't find sounds folder in the game dir

You would replace the files in: <Saved Games> \ <DCS> \ Sounds \ Speech \ RUS \ Common \ AWACS \

There might also be a better way, editing the SDEF files.

You would replace the files in: <Saved Games> \ <DCS> \ Sounds \ Speech \ RUS \ Common \ AWACS \

There might also be a better way, editing the SDEF files.

Thank you for the reply i tried putting in their but their was no sounds folder to replace? it had no effect, I am using the steam version 2.5.6 client.

I have a sounds.edc folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Sounds.edc

but the files are not wavs and the folders inside are labelled 00, 0a, 0b etc....

Edited by ak22

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team
The standard location of these was Mods/aircraft/(module)/Sounds/EditorMusic. How do these work now?

Theme music moved to themes. (module)/Skins/1/EditorMusic.

For some modules the path may differ, though. Anyway it is specified in the module's entry.lua file.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Can anyone help me find all the pilot comms? I can't find them listed in the sdef_and_wave.txt file included with the sound mod guide.

I want to find all of the PC outgoing comm messages that the pilot makes and replace them with dead/mute files so that when I use voice attack to give an order or talk to the carrier I don't have to listen to my dead-sounding computer voice repeat the things I just said.

Thank you to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

I'd like to replace again the sound canon for the F18, but I can't

Where is the location for this sound, guys ?

I was able to modify all the canon sounds I wanted, but not for the F18

Thank you

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Expect to see Doc/Sounds/sdef_and_wave_list.txt file in the coming OpenBetas (can't promise it will be in the nearest one).

DCS World:
==========

Aircrafts/A-10/APU/APU1.sdef
wave:
	Effects/Aircrafts/A-10/APU/APU1
Aircrafts/A-10/APU/APU1Cpt.sdef
wave:
	Effects/Aircrafts/A-10/APU/APU1Cpt
Aircrafts/A-10/APU/APU2.sdef
wave:
	Effects/Aircrafts/A-10/APU/APU2

You get the idea. It lists all the sdefs and waves referenced in the DCS World and its modules.

You can create your own sdef files with the listed names - they will be used by the DCS instead of the stock ones. You can also reference (or replace in your mod) the listed wave files (yes, the names are w/o extensions).

I dont understand why sdef's are encrypted too...sound files maybe but the sdefs??:huh:, how am I supossed to see what the gain, attack, doppler, etc. propieters are set by default then?...making sdefs from scratch makes no sense if I dont know anything about the actual ones.

Take a look at my MODS here

That was the decision. Sorry.

Well, that basically means that it is pretty inviable to make external sound mods imho, even with own sound samples. It makes no sense to change parameters, "blind", then loading the sim, test, and change back without knowing how the original set is configured as a reference. Hope this decision can be reviewed at some point as I cant find a solid reason to block some config files.

Take a look at my MODS here

what do you mean?

When sling loading......forward, back...load is swinging side to side...lol....

Should be part of common speech....current very automated......

Hope it included in next doc update.....

So far looks v tidy....just hope this part becomes transparent n mod ible...thanks 4 asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that basically means that it is pretty inviable to make external sound mods imho, even with own sound samples. It makes no sense to change parameters, "blind", then loading the sim, test, and change back without knowing how the original set is configured as a reference. Hope this decision can be reviewed at some point as I cant find a solid reason to block some config files.

Dmitry,

I'll have to agree with watermanpc on this one - once 2.5.6 goes stable, the ability to create external (hell, even internal) mods becomes almost improbable. All of our work depends on trial and error, being able to discern what files do what, and how they sound/behave in the simulator is a mandatory step in the process of any mod in ANY title.

Still trying to understand why there needed to be this change to begin with. It seems counter-intuitive in my opinion. Simply providing a list of "available" sdef files and their locations is not that helpful if we can't see or hear what the original files do, in order to improve or modify them.

I wonder if authorized community content creators would be able to use the DCS SDK (the same one other third parties have access to) in order to continue making exceptional content, with even greater functionality. If you give us the right tools, this community can create even cooler/better content. The great thing about communities is that we all learn from each-other. Why limit yourself, or others, to be creative - as long as the company approves of it? :thumbup: I'd love to see the modding community grow, and help inspire ED to do even better.

I hope that ED changes their mind on this - I can't imagine why they chose such drastic measures to "protect" their work. It's extremely frustrating.

On an positive note, I do appreciate the example mod in the Docs folder! I was able to much more efficiently install mods that way. Similar to what ArmA 3 does, with their "Addons" folder. Bohemia Interactive actually provides their community a set of "tools" to develop content, if they so choose. Those tools are actually not available for public use, unless the user specifically wants to download and start developing content. It would be amazing if DCS took this approach to modding...

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

All things sound @ Echo 19 Audio

linktr.ee/echo19audio

• ED Team
Simply providing a list of "available" sdef files and their locations is not that helpful if we can't see or hear what the original files do, in order to improve or modify them.

You can add

"gain = 0"

to all sdef from the list. And then step-by-step (file by file) disable this option. And improve or replace original audio file or sdef.

So you can hear what the original file do.

Edited by btd

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)