Su-27 drivers, give me a hand!

Shein

The R-77... ... MiG-29S+77 vs Su-27+ER? Maybe this is personal bias, but I would rather pic the 27. The R-77 kinematics is so poor that sometimes you could F-pole the target AND gimble defeat the R-77 without losing lock.... it's that bad. IN 1.2.2 of course.

wow really? admittedly, I never used it in-game, but reading up on it I was lead to believe it was on par with the amraam, maybe even better than the amraam (of course now we're getting into speculation)

It may have been on par with the 120A. It was never better, except possibly in how much AoA it can develop.

wow really? admittedly, I never used it in-game, but reading up on it I was lead to believe it was on par with the amraam, maybe even better than the amraam (of course now we're getting into speculation)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You're awesome! Thank you.

My next question, is the poor performance of the Russian air to air missiles being looked at too?

They are working on all the missiles.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

wow... thank you all for the replies! I know I'm at a disadvantage but that's what makes it interesting to me! Though I won't lie I can't wait for dcs su27sm! i downed my first 15 charlie last night... any more tactics and info welcome

Su27sm ?! Who said that ?! Did I miss something ?!

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately us hard done to Russki's get a meagre 5-6nm for close combat modes

Sure? It seems with only the IRST sensor active You can lock targets from the vertical scan at far longer Ranges (near 50km). With the radar sensor only this seems to be correct.

But what really wonders me is if You activate BOTH sensors in vertical scan the lock rang is automatically downgraded to the radar lock range (of these meagre 5-6). Why isn´t the target here locked automatically with the sensor with the greater range (IRST)???

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good combat flight is understanding the nature of things and the feeling to handle it.

I frequently go in to what I call "Hunter" mode with the Russian fighters :D

Many newbies don't realize that when they turn on their radar or jammers, they are basically lighting themselves up like a Christmas tree and everyone nearby can see their general location. That's a bad idea. Especially when you have someone like myself on the opposing team, using your RADAR emissions against you in a very big way.

Basically, as mentioned by others in this thread, I find it best to use IRST whenever possible. Instead of pressing I to activate radar, press O to activate IRST. IRST is a passive system that looks for infrared heat signatures of enemy aircraft. I find it best to fly low and go through canyons, so that any enemy aircraft would have to be very close to find me. Occasionally I will pop up out of the canyons for a few seconds and look at my RWR to see if there are any enemy aircraft close by using their radar/jammers. I will also use this "pop-up" time to sweep the area with my IRST. If I locate an enemy, I try to stalk then outside of their radar detection area (basically I move closer to them directly from their left or right side). When I am close enough, I will pop off a single R-27ET missile. Because this missile does not emit radar of any kind, the enemy generally doesn't know they're in danger and doesn't take any evasive action.

Usually they will simply continue flying in a straight line and won't know what hit them. If the ET doesn't kill them immediately, I am usually able to pop off an R-77 before they have time to realize what's going on, and by then I'm close enough that there's simply not much they can do about it.

The "stealth" IRST approach is one of the best aspects of Russian aircraft in FC3 that the American aircraft don't get to use. You have to use your strengths to your advantage.

There are a few drawbacks to using IRST alone. The worst drawback is that you cannot tell an enemy apart from a friend just by their heat signature. There are ways around this, however. For example, lets say you are tracking a target in IRST and they are going 500Km/h. If you look at that speed, and it is a consistently slow speed, you can generally assume safely that it is an A-10C or an Su-25T. If you look at your team roster and there are no A-10C's or frogfoots, you can be assured that you are looking at an enemy aircraft without ever firing up your radar and alerting the enemy to your presence. Even more, if there is a frogfoot/hog pilot on your team, you can simply ask them where they are to determine if your target is a friendly. If for whatever reason you simply can't distinguish if your locked target is a friend or foe, you can rapidly fire on your radar for a second or two and check to make sure, and then just as quickly turn it off. 80% of the time, the enemy will not notice you just locked them on. Another drawback of IRST compared to radar is that you cannot move the scan zone up and down like you can with radar.

Usually, I will wait to make this identification until I am close enough to pop off an R-77 the second I get confirmation, in case they do start maneuvering in response to my short lock.

The best part is when they are flying with a wingman in close proximity. In this case, I will fire off an R-27ET at the lead aircraft, and will rapidly lock on to the wingman and shoot another ET at him. In most cases you can have them both bursting in to flames within seconds of each other, wondering what on earth happened!

Edited by Night

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS

Whats Your callsign in the game??

Besides (also Noob question), can You see jamming signals on RWR? I know You can see them on Your own radar (as line of dots) but can You also see the signal alone on RWR without having Your own radar on and without the enemy radar directly hitting You??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good combat flight is understanding the nature of things and the feeling to handle it.

As described above,but always use your radar for identification before lunch. 1/2 second activation of radar doesn't trigger enemy RWR. Flying low means also huge energy / missile range disadvantage..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.....Vladimir, let's go to Sukhoi.......

As described above,but always use your radar for identification before lunch. 1/2 second activation of radar doesn't trigger enemy RWR. Flying low means also huge energy / missile range disadvantage..

Yes, flying low does have its disadvantages. However, especially if you are in a mountainous area, it has its advantages as well. If you remain low in the mountain ridges and pop up occasionally you can remain hidden to all but the closest targets. When you are a Russian Su-27 you need every advantage against the F-15's you can get. Using mountains as cover lets you get up a lot closer into a WVR situation, as long as they are not flying in your opposite direction. In the flanker you want to get the F-15 in to a WVR situation as best you can, because that is where the flanker really excels.

And yeah, in my post I did suggest using radar for a very short amount of time to make the identification. But it's not always necessary.

Of course, this strategy does not apply very well when flying over flat terrain or water ;) in those cases, you want to use the R-27ER's slightly better range to force the enemy a/c in to going defensive as soon as possible, and maneuvering enough that you don't lose your lock but force the AMRAAM to lose kinetic energy trying to follow you. It's a tricky dance if you have no where to hide.

Edited by Night

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS

Oberst, yes jammers show up on your RWR. Jammers work by emitting high energy radar emissions to confuse enemy radar. As such, they show up on RWR. People in FC3 multiplayer use jammers WAY more often than they actually should. It makes you difficult to miss and tells everyone where you are.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Exactly so. 51 server is the best server online! War RAF or the server is not nearly as good!

ok sorry, but no, simply because its air quake, its pretty much ace combat with better damage modeling on that server

Oberst, yes jammers show up on your RWR. Jammers work by emitting high energy radar emissions to confuse enemy radar. As such, they show up on RWR. People in FC3 multiplayer use jammers WAY more often than they actually should. It makes you difficult to miss and tells everyone where you are.

i dont think you are correct, RWR cannot detect whether the target is jamming or not, youll need to turn your radar on for that.

Edited by karambiatos

Yes, flying low does have its disadvantages. However, especially if you are in a mountainous area, it has its advantages as well. If you remain low in the mountain ridges and pop up occasionally you can remain hidden to all but the closest targets. When you are a Russian Su-27 you need every advantage against the F-15's you can get. Using mountains as cover lets you get up a lot closer into a WVR situation, as long as they are not flying in your opposite direction. In the flanker you want to get the F-15 in to a WVR situation as best you can, because that is where the flanker really excels.

And yeah, in my post I did suggest using radar for a very short amount of time to make the identification. But it's not always necessary.

No problem. I just don't want to have more new Pilots on MP servers which will only assume that the target is enemy and shoot down friendly. Quick radar on / off is faster and it is stealth as well.

Low tactic is effective and very popular on public servers. It just has described disadvantige. If you expect someone on the deck you just climb higher to 6 - 7,8 Km move your radar down ,scann from the distance and easy kill.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.....Vladimir, let's go to Sukhoi.......

@ Night: Yeah I mostly get killed by this tactic on the 51st, mainly with 27ET. I also think thats the best strategy for the flanker in FC3. By the way, why the hell can't You carry 6 ETs with the Flanker, why do You have to choose 4 ERs in the middle 4 Slots? The geometry of this Weapons is almost the same. Is this also in RL? Whats the reason for this harsh restriction?

I've tested the flanker several times on my own but for me the advantages with the eos stealth don't outbalance the general huge bvr disadvantage facing the eagle. Esp. regarding You can fly this low hide and seek tactic with the eagle as well. And I'm often enjoing, doing this when I'm not sure if I got a bvr hit. It isn't really stealthy but You can't find the eagle also when its hiding in deep valleys. And in addition the lock and launch with VS is really quick with the eagle. You get it in a second, know at once if friend or foe and with the great slammer range you mostly are in range immeditaly also. So when the enemy gets the lock warning in this case its mostly too late. For that reasons for the meantime I stay with the eagle.

And @karambiatos:

The question wasn't if you can see, IF a target ist jamming, but if the target shows up at all this way at RWR. Ok that should be the case. What kind of signal do you get the in the eagle, regarding it shows the type of aircraft. Is this also with a jamming signal? Or what kind of signal do You get then???

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]