you have committed fratricide? refueling woes

Maachine

ok so i have this mission, i take off and right away i need to get to a tanker to fuel up. my fueling abilities aren't that great. i'm flying and flying trying to get fuel and i realize i never opened the fueling door :dunno:

i even got close to getting fuel a few times........ if the door was open. so i open the door......just about to get fuel for the first time in a frustrating 20 mins......f-15 comes flying right over the top of me, slams into the tanker, big explosion......airplane peices everywhere. i manage to get away unscathed. i quit the mission to see a message "your combat scores have been deleted for committing fratricide."

WTF!?

got any pointers to help with refueling? i know to concentrate on a spot on the tanker.....not the boom and i have curvature on my saitek x-52.....trimmed up nice and pretty....am i missing something else?

• Like 1

i quit the mission to see a message "your combat scores have been deleted for committing fratricide."

WTF!?

Yeah, I had similar things happen to me, that sorta sucks. Nothing really you can do about AFAIK.

got any pointers to help with refueling? i know to concentrate on a spot on the tanker.....not the boom and i have curvature on my saitek x-52.....trimmed up nice and pretty....am i missing something else?

Just practice, I'd say. :)

Go to the download section and get a refueling mission. Takes more practice than anything else in the game. It's also very rewarding when you get the hang of it.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

not sure. its a single player mission. computer controlled......probably a bug?

i do have a training mission for refueling. i never fly it. just wondering if anyone had anymore tips for me besides telling me to practice. which it true, i do need to.

Don't forget to hit the nosewheel steering button after a disconnect to reset the aerial refueling status lights (right side of the HUD)?

No reset - no connect - no fuel ;)

You may try to keep one eye on the TVV of the HUD. That works pretty good.

Don't fly the plane with the stick - fine trim it all the time. Trim, trim, trim!

Only minor adjustments with the stick.

Try flying alone and hold your TVV centered by just flying the A-10 with your trim adjustments.

You'll get used to it ;)

And: completely ignore the boom. Forget that it's even there ;)

Stay cool, calm and collected.

I love aeriel refueling :D

i find that i struggle with throttle control the most. it seems like the closer i get to connecting with the tanker the more things get crazy. with throttle and stick movements. i've thought about just using trim to move around. i'll give it a shot since someone else mentioned it works. i know about the NWS button. thats how i figured out my fueling door wasnt open. and....

whats a TVV?

whats a TVV?

total velocity vector

its the little plane shaped thing on your hud that hops around, it says where your plane is actually headed as apposed to where its pointed

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Call Sign: Pork Chop.

intel I5 4670K @ 3.4GHz - GALAXY GTX 670 2GB @ 1080P - 16GB ( 2X8 ) Corsair DDR3 1600MHz - ASUS VG248QE 1080p

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO Mother Board - Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB(game/boot) - WD 640GB HDD 6.0GB/s - 750w Corsair Power Supply

:yes:Trackir 5 w/ Tclip Pro - :joystick:TM HOTAS Warthog - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech G700s Mouse (edit:May19/14) http://wiki.benargee.com/

What?

You are flying a military plane and don't know what TVV is?!?!?

:D:D:D

I should have been more clearly.

It's nearly impossible to fly behind the tanker without any stick input.

But it's way, way easier when you're fine trimming all the time.

What I meant:

I suggested to fly the plane by only adjusting trim for practice purposes.

Just choose the freeflight misson, fly around and practice trimming.

Fly straight and change throttle back and forth and compensate the pitch of the planes nose by trimming.

Soon you'll learn that any change of controls and throttle input changes the trim of the plane and that you can compensate it by... well, trimming.

Should be kind of second nature ;)

i find that i struggle with throttle control the most.

Any, even tiny changes in throttle (and thus speed) will change the pitch of a plane (basic principles of aerodynamics ;) I guess you know that :))

In a quite unusual situation like flying behind a tanker you really have to take this in account.

Throttle up - the nose will rise. Throttle down - the nose will point down.

You may not notice that when you are flying alone and it's not that relevant. But when refueling in the air it becomes very obvious.

Watch this video from Grayson Frohberg:

It's funny and the trick with the throttle works quite good.

Have fun learnig aerial refueling!

Oh, and try his trick with the singing. It's the best thing I ever learned to refuel mid-air :D

Edited by Konrad Friedrich

Oh yeah yet another refueling thread! I love refueling! I trained it for a few hours in a selfmade mission. Im now able not to destroy the tanker. The number of reconnects varies from 0 to 20 or something like that. Im flying with a t.flight hotas x so no super precision tm warthog here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The weird thing is that it really gets quite easy once you get the feel for it.

You stay cool. You trim with ease. Compensating pitch, roll and yaw movement becomes routine.

You can even look around, check gauges, watch the scenerie... you may sing a little bit (troll-lo-lo-looooo...)

All is nice and easy.

But dare to stop refueling training for a week or so... it will start all over again... :cry:

Bloody hell, move your head around? I'm no where near that stage!! As oon as I try and look at the fuel gauge I'm away with the fairies in la la land. I have been trying an awful lot recently. So much so that I now have about 155 A2A refuellings - but only about 125 landings! Actually though my A2A missions start me just behind the tanker. Although I must admit I've never shot the poor blighter down

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Bloody hell, move your head around? I'm no where near that stage!!

And that's the reason why you can't get near that stage, young Jedi... ;)

It is difficult. But: Get that thought out of your head ;)

As long as you think 'it is difficult' all the time - it will be difficult.

Calm down, stay cool.

If you disconnect just fall behind the tanker for some seconds. Relax.

Use curves for your joystick. For the TM Warthog I use Deadzone 5 and Curvature 16.

Although I must admit I've never shot the poor blighter down

Shush... you can admit it: You were at least tempted... ;)

you cant troll lo lo......even that guy started to screw up when he troll lo lo'd

Looking around makes it really hard. Im able to do a quick check of my fuel gauge while refueling (im using freetrack). And even that split second makes me struggle a bit.

However, checking the fuel gauge is important for me! I dont want to refuel to max since the warthog gets too heavy. I usually stop at half tanks full.

EDIT: 2 deadzone and 25 curvature here

Edited by Oznerol256

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Btw:

A good training for aerial refueling is to set up a mission with a tanker and let him fly for say 80 miles in a straight line. Speed about 180 knts.

Get close and don't ask for refueling, so he won't lower the boom. It's too distracting.

Just get behind him and fly close formation in refueling position.

Do it until you get real comfortable in that position.

I've learned it that way.

I guess real pilots learn it in a similar way.

It should look like this (I'm pretty shure you know that...):

AerialRefuelingConnectPosition_zps7b4bf71c.jpg

After all that practice you should be able to refuel while flying with your keyboard :thumbup:

The first person who can prove that he can refuel flying with the keyboard only (video evidence), receives a high quality digital painting of a A-10C as an reward.

Qualification: Complete refuel - no disconnect.

Let's see if someone's actually trying... :D:D:D