UH-1 Skins.

JesseJames38

Hi guys.

First time "skinning" in this game, I thought I might as well create something useful for the community. Besides being the wrong Huey model, the skins I've created should be as authentic as possible and resemble real life birds that flew in Vietnam. :)

If the green base color is off, let me know. Im not sure my old monitors shows me the correct colors. :-)

Choppers involved:

4th Aviation Bat. A Comp. '2nd platoon'

4th Aviation Bat. A Comp. '3nd platoon'

28nd Artillery Bat. 'Mustang 051' "The Dumb Bunny III"

28nd Artillery Bat. 'Mustang 938'

116th Assault 1st. 'Lady Jane'

176th Assault Minutemen '366'

dcs%25202013-06-30%252020-22-53-64.jpg

Here's a link to the pictures, hope youre gonna like it!

https://picasaweb.google.com/100664947878695257095/DCSHueyAuthenticVietnamPack102?authkey=Gv1sRgCPDi5fjs7P-zWQ

Also, this one for fun:

dcs%25202013-06-30%252020-20-04-04.jpg

Im gonna release this pack soon when im happy with it. (Within a few days, it needs a few tweaks and quality checks here and there)

Also, Im gonna start creating a second pack soon which will contain authentic medivac and marine hueys.

Edited by <Grizzly>

I'll give it another go tomorrow night mate, I hate leavnig things unfinished.

Although Upuaut will probably be able to add the red stripes in about 10 seconds once he has the psd files :)

“Any pilot should be flying the spitfire, at least once.” – John S. Blyth

Although Upuaut will probably be able to add the red stripes in about 10 seconds once he has the psd files :)

That's funny.

I have not had time to check out the .psd files.

...some time later. I have added the red stripes. Canadian SAR Red Stripe

71.jpg

Edited by upuaut

DCS Mods and Skins: HiDrive

Use the NAS only if the other Link is not working - it's slow!
My DCS MODs and Skins: NAS

That's funny.

71.jpg

Nice work! All of those are looking top notch, I just now got to get back on here and look at all the work everyone is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, I can. It's ab-212.edm in ..DCS World\Bazar\World\Shapes.

Thanks!

Is there plans for a devoplment of the Marine skin for the Nam era helicopter. I think this would be a great addition to the helicopter.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/9/2/8/0515829.jpg

Jesse

Im creating something similar, and Im probably gonna be making a little marine pack with a few different marine huey's as they where a bit different.

Heres an early view of one im creating (Red are to bright, this is just an early preview):

dcs%25202013-06-30%252022-42-42-26.jpg

This is what I use as reference:

Marine%2520UH-1E%2520VMO-2%25201966.jpg

ED Modelviewer

I'm afraid to ask this question in the 3D thread.

I just downloaded edmodelviewer and the instruction pdf. It says a requirement is 3d max studio. I went to their site.

It's $3500.00! Seriously!

Did you guys spend that money on that program?

Skinning the hard way

So I discovered that I like sitting here and painting skins--learning the programs.

I paint everything from scratch, constantly going into DCS and running a mission to take screenshots and see alignments of colors and what I've missed. Am I doing this in the slow DOS kind of method, or is there a much faster way of cutting and pasting or somehow pasting colors on all lined up?

I'm willing to work at this, but it takes me 1-2 days to skin something and you guys are cranking them out in an hour or 2.

What am I missing?

So I discovered that I like sitting here and painting skins--learning the programs.

I paint everything from scratch, constantly going into DCS and running a mission to take screenshots and see alignments of colors and what I've missed. Am I doing this in the slow DOS kind of method, or is there a much faster way of cutting and pasting or somehow pasting colors on all lined up?

I'm willing to work at this, but it takes me 1-2 days to skin something and you guys are cranking them out in an hour or 2.

What am I missing?

I alt tab out of DCS world when I am skinning..

Go back to Photoshop, then make adjustments, save as dds file, then overwrite my files in the specific folder of the skin I am working on within the liveris\uh1 folder and alt tab back into dcs world, the graphics are refreshed, so you will see the changes you have made very quickly!

I alt tab out of DCS world when I am skinning..

Go back to Photoshop, then make adjustments, save as dds file, then overwrite my files in the specific folder of the skin I am working on within the liveris\uh1 folder and alt tab back into dcs world, the graphics are refreshed, so you will see the changes you have made very quickly!

You're going to hate me. Use modelviewer. It's part of DCSW. You don't need tom start the sim and do all that, alt tab and whatnot.

Speed is life !!!

You're going to hate me. Use modelviewer. It's part of DCSW. You don't need tom start the sim and do all that, alt tab and whatnot.

No matter what I do, I cannot get model viewer to launch.

Any info on it please?

I ran into problems launching today too. I finally ended up downloading about 5 different versions going back 1 year from the post on this thread:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=86205

Or, more directly, from here:

ftp://ftp3.files.eagle.ru/mods/model_viewer/

At first, I got error messages, msvcrt.110 not installed. So I went to MS and downloaded C++visual 2010. (msvcrt 100) While there I also loaded the 2012 version too. (msvrct.110) Installing both will not hurt anything.

Then I got a message: effects.dll missing. I figured out that effects is for PS CS6--I have CS5. So I just backed up a few months, knowing that CS6 would not have been out yet, and downloaded one that is compatible for CS5.

It was ver. 69161 from January of this year.

This is how I got it installed. Now it works for me, I just don't know how to use it yet as there seems to be no user manual.

Hope this was a bit helpful.:thumbup:

• Like 1

That's funny.

71.jpg

So, upuaut, I now have model viewer installed and working, but new guys have no guidance. How do we get new skins/models to show up here? They only seem to accept edm and lods files.

If you know of a user manual anywhere, I'd sure appreciate guidance.

Thanks.

Edited by Crashmo

Hi,

first I had also problems, or better, it was complicated to get the skins working in the modelviewer.

But, if you copy just the files without the other folders from your modelviewer folder (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\edModelViewer) to your DCS World folder, it runs nearly perfect.

72.jpg

DCS Mods and Skins: HiDrive

Use the NAS only if the other Link is not working - it's slow!
My DCS MODs and Skins: NAS

Thanks, even that took some practice. I'm new to this, so everything = 2 hours of work. I had downloaded model viewer and didn't even know it is imbedded into the DCS program.

I finally got it and have been playing with it for a while. :thumbup:

Model Viewer

I have it working now. It's slick (pun intended).

Marker--

So I have to assume you got the stand alone ed Modelviewer up and running? Just for edification, DCS has the Model Viewer imbedded in the program. Upuaut showed me how to merge the 2 of them and it works very well. I will try to make this thorough so others can follow also.

First, go the the path on your computer where you installed the Model Viewer. Mine happens to be C:\programs\edmodelviewer. You will see this:

picture.php?albumid=812&pictureid=5654

There are a bunch of free files, not in a folder, below the Luaserializer folder. Copy all of those.

Go to your DCS World folder and copy them right there, they will show up below all of the other game folders. As you can see in the top, mine happens to be in the C:\program files\eagle dynamics\DCS World folder.

picture.php?albumid=812&pictureid=5655

Now, in those files there happens to be an executable file called modelviewer. It is an app file. We will NOT be using that one.

Go into your DCS World\bin folder and voila, a ModelViewer app file.

picture.php?albumid=812&pictureid=5656

Make a shortcut to this and put it on your desktop.

Next, open the program, you should see this:

picture.php?albumid=812&pictureid=5657

Now, at the top, open the View menu, navigate to the Dialogs and click the sub menu Show Folder Browser. Click (check) that menu.

picture.php?albumid=812&pictureid=5658

You should get this:

picture.php?albumid=812&pictureid=5659

While we're there, click on the Liveries sub menu to check that also.

picture.php?albumid=812&pictureid=5660

Now you have both of these boxes open.

picture.php?albumid=812&pictureid=5661

In the Folder Browser box, find your way to the DCS World\bazar\world\shapes folder. This is where the base model for all the aircraft, weapons, trucks, etc. live. They are .edm files.

When you call up the model of aircraft that you want (Ka-50, Uh-1h {which is actually ab-212.edm, maybe because a version of the helo is a Bell 212?} you may get the orange warning no skin shape, or a generic army type like this.

picture.php?albumid=812&pictureid=5662

Notice the ab-212.edm is selected in the Folder Browser box and it automatically generated some database types on the left side of the liveries box. So I then chose the uh-1 from the bottom of the liveries box and it then generated all of those available in the right hand box. Naturally, I chose one that I had been working on, the Brazilian Air Force. And then it paints the model:

picture.php?albumid=812&pictureid=5663

Use your left mouse button, click and drag, to move around the model:

picture.php?albumid=812&pictureid=5664

Click and drag your right mouse button to zoom in and out:

picture.php?albumid=812&pictureid=5666

On the right side of the screen are Rain and Sun sliders. Once you click on and use one of them, the mouse wheel will be able to sub for that action until you choose the other. Here I slid the sun button and then used the mouse wheel from that point onward to make it light and dark.

picture.php?albumid=812&pictureid=5665

When you make changes to your paint, etc. and install them into the liveries folder in DCS World, just like before. Now below the menu bar, third button to the right is called Convert on the Fly, click that and reload your livery and changes should show up instantly. 2 button clicks and your new model is viewable. Much better than what we were doing before--loading it and starting a game, mission editor, blah blah blah. That was a pain in the back side.

I sure hope I didn't screw this up--it did work for me very well. That said: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Link to the update skin 07/02/13 http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/25082496/file.html

Model on, :pilotfly:

Crashmo

Edited by Crashmo

Nice skins guys. Those are very impressive. I hesitate to post my latest collection.....they aren't anything we've discussed here just my personal skin that I've been working on for a few weeks for my friend and I to fly.

This first one is my personal skin, it can be downloaded in the user files http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/ although it may not be up yet (my A-10C skins are up but that one isn't up yet) or: http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/47502792/file.html

The pix in this post show the top, the gunner skins, and the side of mine.

Bank.thumb.png.8946ef811c06155a92193f3dd3bd731a.png

Gunners.thumb.png.4bbf18acc2506bb900607d12210932ec.png

2050053947_SandmanSide.thumb.png.1f8bea1bf65d01704593fe5b39d63c30.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]