What do you use to zoom?

I'm looking for some ideas on how to setup my HOTAS to zoom in.

I've tried a few ways but never really liked any of them.

Let me know what you guys use.

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've set zoom on the right toe-brake of the rudder pedals. As this axis is quite jerky, I just use it as zoomed completely in or zoomed completely out. As I don't like to fly around with FOV 120, I have set the max zoomed out level to FOV 70 in view.lua.

Please fix the KA-50 bugs :-)

Black Shark: Controller profile & setup, TrackIR profile, pit.

Warthog HOTAS: Lubing the stick and extending the stick.

Posts on howto customize switches in DCS &

Must-have mods for DCS World and KA-50 (mostly JSGME).

Casual couch pilot, watching capped.tv...

TrackIr

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

So you use the Z axis to zoom in?

Yes

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

I had X52 and I was using slider1 or the scroll wheel on the throttle lever.

I tried trackir axis Z too, but that doesn't suited to me. That made me loosing orientation in the terrain. IMHO, in general, frequent changes of zoom will make you lost orientation due to different scale.

Edited by Suchacz

^ That would have been perfect. Only... Those axes are incredibly jerky sometimes and was just too annoying. I've been looking for a good way to zoom in every since.

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On my X52 throttle, I use the small pot near the thumb.

The axis is much too jittery to use directly, so I use bands. 0-20% is zoom out, 21-79% nothing, 80-100% zoom in, and then the clutch button (in the center of this pot) resets the zoom.

I find it's very effective and I use it naturally now.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

on my warthog I use the friction slider.

On my old X52, I used the slider on the throttle. However, this too was quite jerky, so what I did was I setup zones top 10% = zoom in, bottom 10% = zoom out, the 80% in between were kept empty... and I think I had one of the buttons there to 'reset zoom', but I don't really remember, it's quite a while....

Anyway, the point is, if the axis are too jerky, try splitting them into zones and working with key assignments for those.

If you want to use the throttle scroll wheel to zoom your view, you can try this:

- at the beginning of the mission, pres LAlt+C to activate mouse look

- for being able to click the cockpit at the same moment when the mouse look is enabled, open and edit this file "xxx\DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\clickable_common.lua"

and change

use_click_and_pan_mode = [b]false[/b]

to

use_click_and_pan_mode = [b]true[/b]

BTW... this setting should be default, because it was default setting for BS1. Dunno the purpose of this change. If you want to use it, you must change it after each update or reinstall.

This was my prefered method of zooming on my (RIP) X52pro. It feels like using an axis control, without any parasitic jittery.

Edited by Suchacz

I used the slider on my X52, delt with the jerking by training my thumb to find the sweet spot that stops it. Now I use the ministick on my CH throttle, scripted so that holding down button 4 (my shift button) enables the stick to manipulate zoom, releasing 4 leaves the zoom where it is.

From the shadows of war's past a demon of the air rises from the grave.

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"