Graphics settings

I was curious as to which graphics settings are processed via CPU vs. GPU. I.E. water, civilian road traffic, trees, clutter/bushes, etc. And mirrors

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

Water, ground clutter/trees, scenes, and global draw distance are mostly GPU. Turning down the global draw distance and ground clutter seems to have the greatest effect on performance. 50 km for global, 6 km for trees, and 1 km for ground clutter works well for me. Water quality doesn't seem to affect my GPU performance at all.

Civilian traffic and scenery draw distance is mostly CPU. Medium visibility offers the best performance and quality for me. I turn civilian traffic off if I'm flying combat missions and turn it on high when I'm doing TAGs. he fact of it being on will have a tremendous effect on your CPU performance, especially with combat occurring. That being said, your i7 shouldn't have a problem handling either of these options.

Mirrors... I'm not sure. It seems to hog a lot of resources from both. I leave it off.

Edited by sjb5001

Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz

8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3, 1600MHz

NVidia GeForce GTX 760

Windows 8 Pro Operating System - 64-Bit

Saitek X52 Pro Joystick and Throttle

Water effect is kinda iffy.

In general it doesn't affect FPS that much. But I have experienced unexplainable FPS drop with the water effect at high, which has been greatly reduced by taking the water effect down to low.

Edited by TZeer

"These are the settings I use on my modest rig (c2d E7500 @3.8ghz, Radeon 6850, 8gb DDR3 etc) I get pretty decent FPS all round."

Seems to be a image missing... ???

- With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

- "Upside-down shuttlecock of death" SU-27 as described by Sgt Baker

I can see an image. A very big one at that. Pretty much the same options that I use except for the visible range setting. I have mine on Medium. FPS are ok when flying on my own, but once there is a battle going on then my fps gets stupidly low, unplayable at times. I use fps saving mods too. Bit ridiculous really.

Regards,

Milli

• ED Team

Even with my rig I get hits especially around airfields and when black smoke is on the battlefield.

Hopefully ED will get to optimise some of these areas in the future, but I fear it will not happen as EDGE is on the horizon so why would they spend time on the current graphics engine when a new one is in DCS's future.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2