What processor?

Hi,

I'm starting to think about upgrade my processor (an Athlon 64 3200+), my aim is for gaming performance, mainly.

I have three choices:

1) Athlon 64 FX-55 (which is really expensive for my budget, so it's a little off my sights)

2) Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (for me a real shoot in the dark as I don't know if Lomac can use all it's power)

3) Athlon 64 4000+ (among three, the cheapest but I don't know if it's worth the upgrade, since I have a 3200+...)

So, what do you recommend? I'm expecting to order it next month.

Thank you ;)

=FN= Six o'Clock

Member of Falcões da Noite Squadron

Florianopolis :: Brazil

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

well, to be honest, if you go for single core then you would be shooting yourself in the foot, as the 4800 is faster than the fx55, heck even my 4400 is faster than the fx55, and for gaming it is marginally slower, and i mean marginally. I run most if not all games ar highest settings, with the exception of slomac, and all run perfectly fine with me. only thing is, some games need to be forced to run on one core, but thats changing, all new games will be dualcore optimized in the future, so it makes sense to go for dualcore, especially as the 4800 has 2 amd 4000 cpus under the hood, so even if you did run games on one core, your still getting a dedicated fx53/amd 64 4000+ cpu for gaming on.

the 4800 would be the wisest choice to get IMHO

I'd say wait a while, because your CPU isn't that bad, and spending lots of money for a 4fps increase in lomac is, well, unwise. If you really have to buy something, buy the 4000+, as it got a good price/quality, the X2 processors, on the other hand, are useless for lomac, as it will only use 1 processor, and not 2 at once to calculate everything. If you want an fps increase, a new cpu is the way, followed by GPU (and make sure everything is "balanced", so you don't end up with an FX-57 and a Radeon 9600).

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

he wouldnt be buying a new cpu solely for 1 game would he ? as that would be kinda weird.

If he were buying a new cpu just for lomac, then i would say wait 2 years, but if its for everything else and some gaming and not just lockon then it has got to be the dualcore, cod2 is optimized for dualcore, and it just screams along with it, so they starting to make games for them.

As for your x2s are useless for lomac, thats crap, mine can power ahead of lomac better than any single core amd 3700 can, i have 2 3700 cores, and i bet ya that i would get better fps with one of my cores than a single core 3700 cpu. due to the fact that only the game and some minor things would run on it, it wouldnt have all the other crap running on it like a single core cpu would have, thus allowing more power to the game.

Hummm...

Nice tips Scotsman! I'm really interested to know what's the best choice Lomac-wise...

And, as Force Feedback said: should I expect a so low FPS gain? If it's true, I think I'll wait some more time...

;)

=FN= Six o'Clock

Hi,

I'm starting to think about upgrade my processor (an Athlon 64 3200+), my aim is for gaming performance, mainly.

I have three choices:

1) Athlon 64 FX-55 (which is really expensive for my budget, so it's a little off my sights)

2) Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (for me a real shoot in the dark as I don't know if Lomac can use all it's power)

3) Athlon 64 4000+ (among three, the cheapest but I don't know if it's worth the upgrade, since I have a 3200+...)

So, what do you recommend? I'm expecting to order it next month.

Thank you ;)

If you have some confidence with overclock you should try it on your CPU. AMD64 3200 with core Venice overclock quite easily so you could reach

the performance of the 4000 without buying any new CPU.

Beware, you should be able to do it you should also have the right hardware (a good mobo and a lucky CPU)

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

lomac is lomac, if you want it at its highest setting, then there isnt a cpu available that will give you the best that lomac has to offer at 50+fps.

you would need to wait at least til the begining of next year before we see anything that could even think about running the whole of lomac maxed out.

well, i can gurantee that you would get more than 4fps with any of these cpus. it just depends on what you run the game at now.

If you want to buy something and have the money then i would say get the 4800, as the 4000 and fx55 are old technology compared to what is out now, heck in a month or 2 there releasing 5gig x2s and above.

its not my money to be spending, but knowing now what i do about dualcore, then i would never ever go back to single core. all of my games scream along, with the one exception of lomac, it doesnt scream but i can play it maxed without highest water and mirrors but everything else at its highest and my fps is a stable 40ish thats with aa maxed 8s and af maxed 16, it does go down low, but thats because of the way the game is coded, its not a cpu problem, its cuz the game is coded badly.

basically, every single thing i do on my pc is at uber fast speeds. now i can compare it to an amd 2600 and an amd 64 2800, and this thing just eats both of them up and asks for 2nds, it truly is fast compared to them. Thats why i would never ever go back to a single core cpu.

I can run a thorough anti virus scan, and benchmark using prime95 at the same time and still use my pc like it was my 2800,ok i couldnt play any games at the same time but it just never seems to slow down. It is absolutly crazy. I am still astounded 6 months on what this thing can do. another example, i have opened all my apps, except games, i opened the max of internet explorer windows which is 50, i ran a defrag and the thing was still not slowing down. you try any of that on a single core cpu and see what happens. also, it takes 10 seconds from pushing the power button to being on desktop with everything loaded. all this is the reason i would never ever go back to single core, admittedly there is the odd niggle and glitch with dualcore cpu, mainly in games, but just affinity them and its all good.

as for lomac, then i would say it would still be between the fx55 and the 4800, overclocked the fx would take it, but both at stock, then the 4800 would win, even on one core.

another thing you have to worry about, if you want it to be the latest tech, then remember that amds m2 motherboards come out this year and pretty soon at that, and that adds ddr2 to the mix for amd, now all cpus that are available just now will not fit into the m2 socket motherboard, forcing all of us to update to m2 at somepoint in the future if we wanna be near the top.

Just for your information my specs are as follows.

Amd fx-55

2 GIG DDR400 BY CRUCIAL

650 watt psu (enermax)

asus A8n sli premium motherboard

Western digital 200gig hard drive

Nvidia 7800gtx card

Sony dvd/cdrw

CPU cooling fan system

My frame rates online and off for lomac are in the upper 60s, maybe higher but the FPS counter on lockon stops at 60. It rarely goes below 36 or so only over heavy cities or lots and lots of heavy action. I fly with everything maxed out almost (mirrors on high resolution,reflections on,water/medium,active shadows,terrain 100km,heat blur on) and it is always very smooth, i turn off heat blur when online because i dont need it (only for eye candy offline). All my other games (pacific fighters/forgotten battles merged,COD2,Silent Hunter3) all run off the charts with FPS and the visuals are unbeleivable. I run lockon 1600x1200 with 2aa 2af on a 22 inch samsung monitor. I took my time putting it all together but its well worth it when you get all the components in. Good luck with your choice on processors, i am happy with the fx-55.

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

its maybe stops at 60, as the rez of your monitor may have capped your refresh rate to 60 and you may have vsync on. the fps scale in lomac goes into its hundreds if you havent got vsync on.

btw is it just me or does the water in pf merged look lovely :p

I run lockon 1600x1200 with 2aa 2af on a 22 inch samsung monitor. I took my time putting it all together but its well worth it when you get all the components in. Good luck with your choice on processors, i am happy with the fx-55.

just impressive!...

Who knows, if i save a LOT of money, one day I can have a system like this, hehe!

:)

=FN= Six o'Clock

Thanks evil-scottsman i didnt know that, i will try it with vsinc off tonight and see if i can change my refresh rate, i think though if i remember it was on like 75 percent refresh but i could be wrong, and yes the water in pacific fighters is incredible to look at, i tend to fly low and look at it too much. On 1600x1200 4aa and 8af it is just too nice to look at. Should i keep v-sync on or off and what is the difference, im not familiar with what it does.

So, what do you recommend?

I recommend you keep your money in the bank unless you earn a lot and can afford to indulge yourself. :-)

The current generation of new hardware (with minimal improvements in CPU MHz) is all about pushing hardware drugs to hardware junkies if you ask me. Dual core, 64-bit, PCI-E... all great for marketing departments, but lousy bang for buck for *significant* real world improvements.

On my 2.3GHz Mobile Barton, 1Gb, ATI X800Pro system the only game I would like better performance from is LOMAC. I can fly at 1600x1200, x4fsaa with almost the same frame rates as at 1024x768 (I fly with graphics set to maximum except viewing distance, which is set at medium). What LOMAC *really* needs is about another 2GHz of processor power... which isn't going to happen until ED can afford to re-write the code from scratch for dual core and 64-bit.

I'm not holding my breath, but I am holding my wallet tightly for the time being. :-)

Good luck making a decision. I'd upgrade my processor if I could guarantee overclocking a cheap AMD 64-bit core to 3GHz, but 2.7/8 seems to be the average limit, and that's only a 20% boost in MHz, which is nowhere near enough for *me* to justify an upgrade. Others will disagree, but I work too hard for my money to spend it so easily!

I suspect I may change my mind when 1.2 comes out. Frame rates when flying the 25T (which I do rarely despite the superb flight model) are already a little on the low side, and a 20% improvement might make the difference between too slow and acceptable in the new helicopter. I'll wait to see first though.

Andrew McP

PS Forgot I have water set to medium too.

I have a 64-bit 3200 venice core and plan on o/cing it to 2.6-2.8, well at least to a 2.5. Hopefully I'll get to it sometime this weekend or before if possible.

I also recommend to hold on to your purchase decission at this time. I will not buy any hardware until Black Shark is released. Who knows what we gonna get with that package when it comes to software optimization.

So wait for few more months ...

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Junae,

You might want to read this thread as well

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=12825

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

he wouldnt be buying a new cpu solely for 1 game would he ? as that would be kinda weird.

If he were buying a new cpu just for lomac, then i would say wait 2 years, but if its for everything else and some gaming and not just lockon then it has got to be the dualcore, cod2 is optimized for dualcore, and it just screams along with it, so they starting to make games for them.

As for your x2s are useless for lomac, thats crap, mine can power ahead of lomac better than any single core amd 3700 can, i have 2 3700 cores, and i bet ya that i would get better fps with one of my cores than a single core 3700 cpu. due to the fact that only the game and some minor things would run on it, it wouldnt have all the other crap running on it like a single core cpu would have, thus allowing more power to the game.

Good to know. I'm planning on upgrading to an AMD 4200 X2 myself. I use my computer for more then just gaming, so the extra core will come in handy when I'm using Photoshop or Pinnacle.

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

you will never ever look back and think it was a bad purchase, everyone who i know personally who has bought an x2 has said that it is like changing from night to day, the change is that extreme.

Me personally, now that ive had my x2 for 6 months and ironed out all the problems associated with them which are basically just affinity settings. I could never ever go back to using single core cpus.

You will see what i mean when your x2 is ready to be booted up for the first time :)

Your words are very encouraging Scott.

I never thought about purchasing a dual core CPU before, ... but I think you're changing my mind, LOL!

=FN= Six o'Clock

Well now I know absolutely for sure I will buy a dual-core. My Dad ordered a new system with a 3800+ X2 last weekend. We picked it up last night. Just one word came to my mind when I booted the little monster up: :icon_supe WOW!!!! Even with a lot of applications already installed it took no more then 20 seconds to boot windows. After playing around with Photoshop CS2 I was even more impressed.

An alternative to the Athlon64 X2 processors are the socket 939 Opteron 165 (1.8 GHz) and Opteron 170 (2.0 GHz) dual core processors. Both have a 1 MB L2 Cache and both are greater overclockers (> 2.6 GHz at or close to stock voltage). Prices are very competitive relative to the X2 processors.

Cheers,

Nowi

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

ASUS Sabertooth X79

4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix VLP PC3-12800

ASUS Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti 8 Gb

Seasonic Platinum 860W

Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt

CH Products PT/TQ/MFP

Slaw Pedals

TrackIR 5

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN
An alternative to the Athlon64 X2 processors are the socket 939 Opteron 165 (1.8 GHz) and Opteron 170 (2.0 GHz) dual core processors. Both have a 1 MB L2 Cache and both are greater overclockers (> 2.6 GHz at or close to stock voltage). Prices are very competitive relative to the X2 processors.

Cheers,

Nowi

yup, less extensions on the actual cpu, but they overclock gooooood :icon_supe