LOMAC / FC Threaded Programmed ?!

You guys confusing multi-threading with dualCPU/dualcore/HT?

Nope. AMD64 X2 are capable of multi-threading.

See:

Q: What does AMD foresee as the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core processor benefits to consumers? How do these differ from 64-bit computing benefits?

A: With the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core processors, AMD expects to see performance increases in multi-tasking environments, as well as multi-threaded applications. AMD multi-core processors are designed to deliver superior multimedia performance as multi-threaded applications spread from the enterprise server market to the client and consumer markets.

For example, as media-centric PCs move into the mainstream, AMD’s innovative multi-core processors can serve as the foundation for the Digital Home. Combined with exciting new applications designed for consumer environments, AMD multi-core processor-based media center PCs will be capable of simultaneously serving different media sources to multiple rooms in the home.

The AMD Athlon 64 processor family allows pervasive adoption of the AMD64 platform for desktop and notebook personal computers. Current models of the processors offer world-class performance on 32-bit applications today. In addition, end users have the ability to seamlessly migrate to 64-bit PC applications in the future. The AMD Athlon 64 processor offers leading-edge performance and, on current applications, outperforms competing PC processors on industry-standard benchmarks.

You guys confusing multi-threading with dualCPU/dualcore/HT?

I'd be very surprised indeed if LOMAC runs in a single thread :)

No I do not confuse anything (I hope). I very well beleive know the difference between MUlticore or Dual Processors and HT Technology.

Explanation:

But HT or Multi CPU or Multi Core does not bring great benefits if you are running only one application (and a computer game usually is just one process) which is single threaded.

So best performance would be gained having a properly multi-threaded software (in this case Lock-On) to take the full advantage given from technical abilities like Mult-CPU , HT, or Multic-Core CPUs.

And it seems, that Lock-On is not multi-threaded.

BTW: I really wonder which software is multi-threaded and which is not?

So: Am I rigth that software has to be programmed multi-thread oriented to be able to take full advantage of of Multi-CPU technolgy, or am I really mixing different concepts?

:confused:

And I do not mean Multi-Tasking befeits! Multi-Tasking means IMHO working with more than one Windows-Application, which I usually dont do when gaming.

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

Good article if you want to dig deeper into the subject:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2377&p=1

Note this statement on page three from one of the Unreal3 developers:

"Implementing a multithreaded system requires two to three times the development and testing effort of implementing a comparable non-multithreaded system."

My understanding is that is is not so much a question of programming for multi-core CPUs as such, but a general issue of multi-threaded applications (I've had my share of deadlocks and races in some of my own code for sure, and it's not nice ;)). Distribution of threads onto the system resources (CPUs) should actually be a task of the operating system, not of the application; I guess that's a rather idealized view though that doesn't hold true in "real life" ;) And in addition to the complexity that multithreading always brings about, you also have to design the application in a way that the threads are seperated enough so that they can operate independently as much as possible.

We may be luckier than we think with Lock On (and flight sims in general) in this regard, as there seem to be at least two main threads already: the graphics rendering and the sim core engine doing all the world state calculations (flight model & object behaviour/updates). The sim engine seems to have absolute priority here, running at a fixed rate as much as possible, while the graphics part may suffer from not having enough resources to complete calculations. I guess everyone already was in a situation where the screen just wasn't updated anymore, but the game itself still ran on more or less normal speed (classic case: heavy smoke and explosions during ground attacks, and when the graphics finally come back, you've already crashed).

Theoretically this would be a classic case for a dual-core system: one CPU handles the sim engine, updating the world state which the second CPU uses to render the graphics. Still, don't expect this to be an easy task to implement (and test...) in the end.

Caretaker

ED Beta Test Team

Nope. AMD64 X2 are capable of multi-threading.

See:

All processors are capable of handling threads. If you notice that article states an improvement in performance of multi-threaded applications.

Trust me Prinzartus when I say I know what i'm talking about. :)

Here's an exercise for you... open up windows task manager and view -> select columns, and check the 'Thread Count' box.

When there are multiple "logical" cpu's (Pentium 4 with HyperThreading, classic multiprocessor system, or multi-core cpu, ...) then the OS will distribute the threads accross all available "logical" cpu's. Iirc Windows has a scheduler to decide when which thread is executed on what "logical" cpu.

Also on a single "logical" cpu system you can execute multi-threaded applications (which have been around for many, many years, it has nothing to do with multi-cpu systems or recent multi-core cpu's). Again the scheduler manages the threads' execution.

Lockon, according to task manager, runs at about 13 threads, both the GUI and actual game. No difference in SFM or AFM aircraft.