Landing the Huey - short video

ddavid

First post so a Big Hi to All!

I've been trying out the Huey for a couple of weeks and think it's really quite good (understatement!). Like any new helicopter (to me, at least) there's a lot to learn - coupled with this being my first inroad into DCS World - some might say a baptism of fire?

Well, here's a short video on my first impressions of landing the Huey. It is definitely Not a tutorial - more a collection of thoughts. Hope you enjoy...

https://vimeo.com/76439920

Any comments and suggestions welcome.

Cheers - Dai. 8)

• 3 months later...

Ive flown in Hueys many times ..... and if a pilot had landed like that he woulda been told in the bar later what I thought of him ..... and excluded from all rounds .

Having said that . I have the Huey module ..... and you make me look awful (sorry typo) at the minute !!!

Edited by badger66

Wow, that was your first flight? Pretty good flying!

I didn't keep any tracks or videos from my first attempts, but they looked a lot worse and I think there were a lot more craters around the airbase. :D

I had previously flown the Ka-50, that helped a lot with the Huey because I already knew the basics about rotary wing flight. On the other hand, the flight dynamics could hardly be more different than these two, so it took a good while until I started to feel comfortable in the Huey.

There are some excellent training missions that helped me to get acquainted with the Huey, for example:

You didn't use trim in your video, did you? For me (TM Warthog stick, no Force Feedback) trimming is a huge help to keep the control oscillations down and make the flight look smoother. I think trimming (or trimming more) may help you get the beast under control. :thumbup:

• 6 months later...
First post so a Big Hi to All!

I've been trying out the Huey for a couple of weeks and think it's really quite good (understatement!). Like any new helicopter (to me, at least) there's a lot to learn - coupled with this being my first inroad into DCS World - some might say a baptism of fire?

Well, here's a short video on my first impressions of landing the Huey. It is definitely Not a tutorial - more a collection of thoughts. Hope you enjoy...

https://vimeo.com/76439920

Any comments and suggestions welcome.

Cheers - Dai. 8)

Thanks for video. It was ok, since You haven't crashed that thing. I'm flying UH-1 past few weeks and it really is challenging. But then, when You start to get better, it's very rewarding and I just love that chopper.

You can check one of my first training flights out. I already had one flight before this and I really struggled to not crash it. :) Everything is just a matter of time. :thumbup:

Wow, that was your first flight? Pretty good flying!

I didn't keep any tracks or videos from my first attempts, but they looked a lot worse and I think there were a lot more craters around the airbase. :D

I had previously flown the Ka-50, that helped a lot with the Huey because I already knew the basics about rotary wing flight. On the other hand, the flight dynamics could hardly be more different than these two, so it took a good while until I started to feel comfortable in the Huey.

There are some excellent training missions that helped me to get acquainted with the Huey, for example:

You didn't use trim in your video, did you? For me (TM Warthog stick, no Force Feedback) trimming is a huge help to keep the control oscillations down and make the flight look smoother. I think trimming (or trimming more) may help you get the beast under control. :thumbup:

:-D I know what You mean. Coax vs main/tail rotor is pure hell to get used to.

Oooops...now I see the date, when this thread was created. I think I´m talking to myself then...:megalol:

Less than a year... this forum has seen much heavier thread resurrections. :D

And with only a single post so far, OP doesn't seem too eager to learn from us anyways... :devil_2:

Less than a year... this forum has seen much heavier thread resurrections. :D

And with only a single post so far, OP doesn't seem too eager to learn from us anyways... :devil_2:

Probably can't cope with your humour:lol:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Probably can't cope with your humour:lol:

You mean he anticipated that I would make some fun at his expense for not following up on his own thread and that discouraged him from... following up on his own thread?

Yeah, makes sense. :D

Edited by Yurgon
Typo