For all that play lockon in widescreen format

Thx Cali but don't changes in the view.lua file become overridden by the host server settings?

This becomes obvious when you play on different servers.

(eg from memory the 504 server has a wider possible view limit as do most gunzo/dogfight servers)

Wont that screw up your settings so that while you wont get stretching on a widescreen you'll be especially zoomed in to the hud.

I wanna make sure this works fne before committing to an expensive upgrade. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Thx bud i appreciate your help but i think either im missing something or you're not getting me.

With a widescreen you ought to be able to see more of the cockpit + surround then without.

If you correct for the distortion by altering the aspect ratio (16:10 i believe as opposed to 4:3 for standard monitors) then infact you are zoomed in and will not see as much of the cockpit and surround. This i believe was demonstrated in the previous threads as widescreen users could not zoom out all the way and thus could not for example see the su-27 rwr without actually looking down at it.

The only way to get round this was to alter the view limits in the view.lua BUT unless im grossly mistaken in online play the view.lua is overridden by server values. Thus while you may not have a distorted image (as server does not dictate resolution or aspect ratio) you end up with an excessively zoomed in view for which you cannot fully zoom out and still see as much of the cockpit and surround as normally visible to non widescreen users. As i understand it this is because your FOV is limited by ther server imposed view.lua values.

Mods feel free to move this to the Tech discussion if necessary.

Anyone know if ED plans to support widescreen in BS?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Same here. Widscreen is so immersive especially with TrackIR you can actually look sideways a bit not just turn your head with your eyes centered on the middle of the screen.

Yeah im sold.........but isnt that horizontal view come at a cost of the vertical view?

Anyone mind posting pics of cockpit views in online servers (especially su-27, what i know best) of default and zoomed out.

Just to put my mind at rest.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It does take away some vertical view but you get use to it really quickly and can compensate by setting a larger default FOV. As long as you can see your HSI without much moving around your ok.

Also with a 16:10 screen you should get better vertical view then with a 16:9 screen. Personnaly I bought a LG Flatron 20.1 inch. Theyr real cheap and have 5ms response time and 2000:1 contrast ratio. Very happy with the quality/price.

http://www.lockonfiles.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=514#dl

This tool is awesome to set up your graphics and views as long as you dont go into the option menu in Lomac again after setting it up.

It does take away some vertical view but you get use to it really quickly and can compensate by setting a larger default FOV. As long as you can see your HSI without much moving around your ok.

Exactly.

And to set a larger FOV you need to alter the view.lua

which is overridden by the host values when playing online.......is it not?

Assuming they're overridden to default then your forced to a closer hud view then normal from which you cant zoom all the way out like you can with a normal monitor.

Thx for input....im pretty set on a WS monitor anyway but will prob wait to see how the R600 performs as ill likely need to upgrade.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's not overridden by the host, the host can't control what resolution your running at. I said that before, I know the 504th and every other server in hyperlobby aren't running at 1680x1050 <-------that is what I'm using. Just get the widescreen trust me you won't be sorry. Plus you can always zoom in and out, I do that all the time. Do you fly at the default FOV for the whole game? I know I don't, that's why I have the zoom function programmed into my CH throttle. So I can do whatever I want to.

I know the host cannot control your resolution (1680x1050 if 22" or 1920x1200 if 24", what im considering:)) or the aspect. This you set yourself by editing the relevant file as mentioned earlier before or simply using LoCFG .

When you set up your widescreen did you just alter the resolution and aspect or did you change the view limits as well?

The host WILL control your view limits, as demonstrated by zorlac here:-

http://www.forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=13231&highlight=view+limits+online

He's not using a widescreen but the same principle applies. Like he says, the consequence is that during online play where view limits are enforced he cant see the bottom of the cockpit and thus cant tell if he is ecm on or off.

Unfortunately im away from home at the moment so cant post screenshots but im willing to bet that on an online server that has default view limits with both of us zoomed out to the max i would be able to see more vertically - top and bottom of cockpit then a widescreen user. If that means a widescreen user cant see the top part of their virtual legs then no big deal......but if the blindspot (or blindbar more accurately) is sufficiently large as to cut off instruments or upwards vertical vision in a dogfight then that might suck a little.

Or perhaps im being thick.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Been searching through every widescreen thread I could find here and still no answer whether there is a work around to actually "gain back" the vertical view that gets snipped off when you use a widescreen in LOFC?

Here are two comparison shots to illustrate exactly what a widescreen does for me and what it doesn't do for me (widen the view)!!! Any suggestions or word from ED that they will in fact make LOBS widescreen friendly!?

This is on my widescreen monitor (with an aspect ratio of 1.6); top and bottom cropped off... you'd expect a widescreen to give you more, not less right?!

vtb647rz5.jpg

This is on my other monitor (close to a 4:3 aspect ratio, although set at 1.25, instead of 1.33); notice the difference?!?!?!

vtb646dq6.jpg

P.S. Someone please sticky this thread already in the Tech forum maybe!

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

Your comparision method is incorrect.

You compare widescreen and normal screen with the same horizontal FOV which is IIRC 60 degrees. Because normal screen has bigger vertical to horizontal ratio, you have also bigger field of view in the vertical plane.

You should compare default (60) FOV on normal screen with the increased (about 73 degrees) FOV on widescreen.

And the modifications from the first page alter only maximum allowable FOV, so we can have this increased FOV when zooming out.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I dont know how you managed to get an aspect ratio of 1.25:1....

Making your resolution to 1280x1024 wont automatically give you an aspect ratio of 1.25:1 it will simply shrink or stretch your image at the default lockon ratio of 4:3.

http://www.lockonfiles.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=514#dl <----Here you go.

Look in the previous post i put a link to a tool that does it all for you no need to go play in your config files.

Just divide the width and the height of the screen pixels and the number will be 1.25... (In LOMAC you have to set this number in the graphics.cfg gile in addition to changing the video options, otherwise it assumes a 4:3 (1.33 AR) ratio and will stretch or contract the image...

Some examples...

AR 1.25 = 5:4 ratio. (1280 x 1024 res)

AR 1.33 = 4:3 ratio. (1024 x 768 res)

AR 1.6 = 8:5 ratio. (1680 x 1050 res)

So, back to the question about FOV... If increased, it will allow you to zoom back further and thereby gaining back some of the lost view (cropped top and bottom), but it also creates a "fish-eye" effect. Is there any way to simply widen the viewable screen with a widescreen and not have fish-eye effects or bent outer edges of the view? Using default zoom has very little of this "warping", but then you're stuck with the snipped off top and bottom instead...

It's about time some developers started making games more widescreen friendly since everyone is buying them nowadays!

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

I wish i still had my 4:3 screen id show you the diffrence you get, ill try and explain.

With my 4:3 screen in the f-15 i could see all the instruments all the way down to the landing gear lights from the top of the launch lights on the canopy rail without seeing the sides of the rail.

Now with a widescreen i can see down to half the HSI up to the canopy rail but i see way behind the rails to the side.

Ill try and find a screen shot and show you.

Those screen shots arent right by the way one is in 1024x640 the other is in 1024x819...I see no 1680x1050...of course if both the shots have the same width (1024) then you wont see a difference...

They are very much correct my friend! Simple math... 1024/640=1.6 (1680/1050=1.6). Same aspect ratio. I just downsized the screenies so they wouldn't have to cover the entire forum page. Same with the other shot... 1024/819=1.25 (1280/1024=1.25). Again, same aspect ratio.

What you are referring to in your other post is exactly what is happening in the shots above. It crops the top and bottom off, if the same level of zoom is used and/or the FOV limits aren't changed.

So much for true widescreen... bah!

I realise ED have a lot on there hands but i would really appreciate some input from them on this, even if its to say they know its not supported and they dont intend to do anything about it. At least then we know what to expect.

I dont have a widescreen myself but theyre becoming increasingly popular and more widely supported and am considering getting one myself with my next (No doubt BS related) upgrade.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Second that! Half of our team now runs the sim on either a big LCD or projector. 4 out of 10 guys have 1920x1080 screens...

If you run down to the local computer dealer, there are more widescreens on the shelves than 4:3 screens now too! To neglect widescreen support would be a sin! :smilewink:

• 1 month later...

OKi... I have joined the waggon :D

click on pics for full sized ones :)

widelockon01sl2rq5.jpg

widelockon02ol8rn5.jpg

widelockon03ya8lz7.jpg

Me iz happy now... only think we need to fix is them FPS :joystick: :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

First off, thanks for everyones input and help on this topic so far. I have been unable fix this problem for myself though.

My "view.lua" file for 1.12 is slightly different then that posted and it doesn't seem to matter how I change the values, no change occurs.

-- Camera view angle limits {view angle min, view angle max}.

CameraAngleLimits = {}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_27] = {160.0, -76.0, 110.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_33] = {160.0, -79.0, 110.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_25] = {109.0, -70.0, 105.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iSu_39] = {116.0, -85.0, 110.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iMiG_29] = {160.0, -80.0, 110.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iMiG_29K] = {140.0, -65.0, 90.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iA_10] = {160.0, -72.0, 110.0}

CameraAngleLimits[PlaneIndex.iF_15] = {160.0, -81.0, 110.0}

This section has 3 values in my "view.lua" and I'm not sure how to change them so that my view is not zoomed in quite so much. I tryed copying and pasting the above solutions "{20.0, 145.0}" but no change occured. I have my resolution set to "1440, 900" and my aspect ratio to "1.6" and that works great. I would like my default cockpit view zoomed out a bit more then default, but can't seem to get any change to happen. All I have been able to do is change the default view angle by editing the "snapviews.lua" file.

i have the same problem.....does anyone have a solution to this

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]