TGP

awdrgyjo

That can happen for a few reasons. If the target is too far away or if the TGP reaches it's gimbal limits and has to correct (by spinning the sensors back around). In a recent patch the point tracking logic was updated and the latter issue became a more pronounced one.

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

Can anyone explain why the TGP unlocks sometimes, on a moving target, thanks in advance.

My guess is that it's masked. Carefully watch the indications on the TGP:

Track mode. If the TGP is in a track mode, this field will indicate the track mode it is in. Types include:

• AREA. The TGP has been space stabilized on an overall scene, but is not tracking a specified object. If AREA track cannot be maintained due to aircraft masking, it reverts to INR-A mode and will return to the AREA track location if track can be reestablished by unmasking.

• POINT. The TGP has established a track on a specific object/target and is stabilized on it. It will continue tracking even if the target is moving. When tracking in POINT mode, a box is drawn around the edge of the object being tracked. The object does not need to be bounded and the box will not expand to encompass the entire object—it remains a fixed size. If the object cannot be tracked due to aircraft masking, it will revert to INR-P mode, but will return to the POINT track if track can be reestablished by unmasking.

• INR-A. If the TGP is tracking in AREA mode and is masked, Inertial Area (INR-A) is displayed. The TGP will attempt to re-track the area lost when the mask constraint has been eliminated.

• INR-P. If the TGP is tracking in POINT mode and is masked, Inertial Point (INR-P) is displayed. The TGP will attempt to re-track the point lost when the mask constraint has been eliminated.

• INR. When in Inertial (INR) mode, the TGP will remain fixed on a geographic reference point

Note that "masked" doesn't mean the TGP actually can't see the target anymore. It means the fuselage or external loads are or could be blocking the TGP's LOS towards the target. Also be aware that the TGP consists of multiple sensors. What you see on the TGP screen isn't necessarily the sensor being masked.

There are also some conditions where I find that point track doesn't work- in particular in narrow view mode at longer distance. I'm quite certain this is just an absence of contrast that may happen IRL too-

But when I go full zoom on wide view mode I can track-

So sometimes you need to fuss with it a little.

All of the points above seem helpful as well-

Hope you get it figured out!

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

There are also some conditions where I find that point track doesn't work- in particular in narrow view mode at longer distance. I'm quite certain this is just an absence of contrast that may happen IRL too-

But when I go full zoom on wide view mode I can track-

So sometimes you need to fuss with it a little.

All of the points above seem helpful as well-

Hope you get it figured out!

Hmm.. that actually makes sense. The narrow view is a digital zoom, whereas the wide view fully zoomed in is an optical zoom, which would give the camera a higher quality image and conceivably better ability to detect contrast. Maybe this sim is even deeper than I thought!

Distance and cloud cover will affect it as well.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down