Swirling tailwheel

HiJack

Disregard my last

After further consideration, and bit more experience in this bird, I agree with Joker68.

Differential braking helps here, but a blast of power with the rudder opposite and stick forward, does nothing as he accurately points out.

Our SNJ had a P-51 tailwheel and that ship didn't handle anything like this one -- and the gear on the SNJ is much narrower than P-51.

Edited by Tailspin45

Blue Skies & Tailwinds

tailspinstales.blogspot.com

Sorry, but not for me.

I'm a rl taildragger pilot, and when I press full rudder in some direction and then gently apply power, the plane starts to go to that direction after going forward for a few inches.

In P51, if I put the stick forward and start to do a *very gentle* turn to either side, *no matter what I do after*, it will not go to other side, nevermore. It will just stay there doing donuts.

I can stop the plane, apply full rudder in the opposite direction, and as soon as I apply power, it will start to continue his previous turn, regardless of my rudder position. Doesn't matter if I put full power or not. In other words, it behaves like I don't have a rudder (no authority at all). I can do several complete donuts applying rudder in the opposite direction, it just doesn't matter, it's "game over".

This is unrealistic, IMHO.

Would be nice to see it addressed, I agree. I have CH pedals and, even with the differential toe braking, they seem next to useless for taxiing.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Just a tid bit of info,

At legends this week we had the Real Horsemen come and fly DCS with us, including taxi'ing round an airfield, They said that it was so so close to being the same handling as the real thing that bar sitting in one it wasnt going to get much closer.

Personally I have never had any problems taxi'ing now that I have rudder pedals but hey ho.

Thought you might appreciate knowing what 2 real Mustang Pilots said about it, We also had Steve Hinton Jnr flying it as well and he seemed to think it was as good as you can get in a sim

Pman

Knew Ed Shipley when he was learning to fly. Have watched his trajectory with interest. Proud of my 1920s biplane, SNJ, and C-45 flying time, but a far cry from his!

Have a new set of CH pedals arriving today. Will report back.

Edited by Tailspin45

Blue Skies & Tailwinds

Knew Ed Shipley when he was learning to fly. Have watched his trajectory with interest. Proud of my 1920s biplane, SNJ, and C-45 flying time, but a far cry from his!

Have a new set of CH pedals arriving today. Will report back.

Just for clarity we were using Saitek Pro Flight pedals

Now you tell me! :(

PS: I second the motion regarding an F-86/MiG for DCS. I enjoyed the IL2 mod, but something with the fidelity of P-51 would be awesome.

Edited by Tailspin45

Blue Skies & Tailwinds

Be sure to push the stick forward for sharp turns. And don't forget that that it will be full swivel until you get the tailwheel straight and the pin drops in. Virtually, of course.

That works much better, thanks!:thumbup:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

The devs thought of everything!

In rl if you don't push the stick forward you can break that pin, or roll the tailwheel tire over, pinch the tube, and end up with a flat if you're not careful.

It's a handful then, as you may have discovered if you blow the tailwheel tire on a hard landing.

Edited by Tailspin45

Blue Skies & Tailwinds

Okay, back after installing new CH Pedals and everything in hunky-dory. Brakes, tailwheel, and rudder work as designed.

Held the brakes and gently increased power until the tailwheel was off the ground (something that's easy in a Cub but probably isn't a good idea in a Mustang), put the rudder hard over, and when I released the brakes the tail swung before it came down.

Last CH set was over 10 years old, pots were sick, and one toe brake was inop. Shouldn't have chimed in about the flight model until I knew my equipment was solid.

Blue Skies & Tailwinds

• 3 months later...
There also seems to be no modelling of the directional control provided by the propwash as of yet.

Exactly what I noticed. Still fiddling around with the input setting for proper taxiing as I don't have toe brakes on my pedals. Once in a "spinning" circle, opposite rudder + thust doesn't help at all. Just brakes.

In P51, if I put the stick forward and start to do a *very gentle* turn to either side, *no matter what I do after*, it will not go to other side, nevermore. It will just stay there doing donuts.

I can stop the plane, apply full rudder in the opposite direction, and as soon as I apply power, it will start to continue his previous turn, regardless of my rudder position. Doesn't matter if I put full power or not. In other words, it behaves like I don't have a rudder (no authority at all). I can do several complete donuts applying rudder in the opposite direction, it just doesn't matter, it's "game over".

This is unrealistic, IMHO.

This is just what I meant - better description :)

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

A footnote to this thread. I had the opportunity yesterday to speak with the Crew Chief for a P-51C and to observe first hand and up close the operation of the tail wheel assembly.

Caveat: This is a P-51C and not a D, however, the tailwheel assembly is essentially the same in both models.

Towing Operations

- When towing the aircraft from the primary gear, the stick in pushed forward to release the tailwheel lock to permit full movement..

- When towing the aircraft from the tailwheel location, the stick is pushed forward to release the tailwheel lock to permit full movement.

Taxi Operations

- When taxiing the aircraft under its own power, the stick the pulled back to engage the tailwheel lock and in-turn is physically linked to the rudder and rudder pedal mechanical linkage assembly. The rudder pedals are used to turn the tailwheel AND the rudder control surface.

- When taxiing the aircraft under its own power, the only time the stick is pushed forward, thus unlocking the tailwheel, is when the aircraft is being pivoted on a handstand/parking area to change it's facing position by ground crew.

There is insufficient prop wash to provide enough rudder authority to turn the aircraft at idle/taxi speeds. Using increased RPM to provided enough prop wash to provide rudder authority can and will damage the engine.

Bottom line: The aircraft rudder pedals turn both the tailwheel and rudder when taxiing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

- When taxiing the aircraft under its own power, the only time the stick is pushed forward, thus unlocking the tailwheel, is when the aircraft is being pivoted on a handstand/parking area to change it's facing position by ground crew.

There is insufficient prop wash to provide enough rudder authority to turn the aircraft at idle/taxi speeds. Using increased RPM to provided enough prop wash to provide rudder authority can and will damage the engine.

It's a wrong statement contradicting P-51 manuals, training film or everyday practice at least in Duxford.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Don't know how to respond Yo-Yo.

Yes, I know what the (orig) manual says.

But on THIS P-51, we pushed the stick forward, and the tailwheel completely unlocks - free wheel -360 degree rotation.

Pull the stick back locks the tailwheel mechanism. Pushing the rudder pedals in either direction turns the tailwheel correspondingly along with the rudder. No differential braking involved. It's not limited to a six degree movement range.

Maybe it just this aircraft....... Dunno.....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Don't know how to respond Yo-Yo.

Yes, I know what the (orig) manual says.

But on THIS P-51, we pushed the stick forward, and the tailwheel completely unlocks - free wheel -360 degree rotation.

Pull the stick back locks the tailwheel mechanism. Pushing the rudder pedals in either direction turns the tailwheel correspondingly along with the rudder. No differential braking involved. It's not limited to a six degree movement range.

Maybe it just this aircraft....... Dunno.....

That's right and it's exactly what we have in DCS.

I meant this statement: "- When taxiing the aircraft under its own power, the only time the stick is pushed forward, thus unlocking the tailwheel, is when the aircraft is being pivoted on a handstand/parking area to change it's facing position by ground crew. There is insufficient prop wash to provide enough rudder authority to turn the aircraft at idle/taxi speeds. Using increased RPM to provided enough prop wash to provide rudder authority can and will damage the engine."

Maybe it's my misunerstanding, but doesn't it mean that the plane can not change its facing itself?

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me