Runtime error and crash

Mustang

I'm still getting these random Runtime Errors (sometimes not at all, i can fly for hours on end) when i play online, it usually ends with the exact same messeges time after time as in the following screengrabs:

runtimeb.jpg

crash1k.jpg

crash2w.jpg

I am not overclocked on anything, everything is stock speeds, temps are good, OS is a few weeks old, drivers are up-to-date, no crap running in background, i just wish i knew what gives.

EDIT: i have never experienced a crash in SP yet, so i'm narrowing it down to something in MP.

Edited by Mustang

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

say Mustang the second post is a ATI error and caused an issue, you know some times these run time error are just system randomness and what I would like to call ghost. they come out of thin air and bite ya in the ass.

"The file "protect.dll" is known to be created under the following filenames:

%ProgramFiles%\aes free\protect.dll

%ProgramFiles%\agnitum\outpost firewall\kernel\protect.dll

%ProgramFiles%\chaos se\protect.dll

%ProgramFiles%\rlpack\protect.dll

%ProgramFiles%\yok\protect.dll

%Programs%\startup\chkdisk.dll

%Programs%\startup\scandisk.dll

%System%\autochk.dll

%System%\calc.dll

%System%\protect.dll

%System%\rlpack\protect.dll

%System%\rundll\dll\protect.dll

%System%\ser_ps2\protect.dll

%Temp%\ms.dll

%Temp%\msb.dll

%Temp%\phqghume.tmp\files\protect.dll

%Temp%\protect.dll

%Temp%\rlpack\codecs\protect.dll

%Temp%\rundll32.dll

%Temp%\update.dll

%Temp%\update_chk.dll

%Temp%\yok\protect.dll

%UserProfile%\protect.dll

%Windir%\temp\msb.dll "

all this could be jiberish as some time windows just doesn't really know why it shut down.

I'm still getting these random Runtime Errors (sometimes not at all, i can fly for hours on end) when i play online, it usually ends with the exact same messeges time after time as in the following screengrabs:

crash2w.jpg

I am not overclocked on anything, everything is stock speeds, temps are good, OS is a few weeks old, drivers are up-to-date, no crap running in background, i just wish i knew what gives.

EDIT: i have never experienced a crash in SP yet, so i'm narrowing it down to something in MP.

Edited by Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

protect.dll, what is that, antivirus?

atiumdva.dll sounds like ati something, gfx driver or settings issues perhaps?

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

Haven't got any anti-virus installed at present, so that can be ruled out.

I've tried Catalyst 9.10 (skipped 9.11 through to 10.1 due to that pulsating rivers issue) 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 and now on 10.4a, and i always get the exact same crash.

Also, my current driver settings are 4xAA (Box filter) and 8xAF, no adaptive AA, i've tried Catalyst AI off/low/high and it makes no difference.

Incidentally, i flew one whole session for several hours last night on 104th without a single hiccup, yet i fly for 30 mins today and it happens again.

that protect.dll is in FC2 don't know what it does.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

The kinds of crashes you have are:

# -------------- 20100508-141847 --------------

C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

# E06D7363 at 753C9617 01:00008617

# -------------- 20100508-201937 --------------

C:\Windows\system32\d3d9.dll

# C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 6B9A7175 01:00036175

Since you had crashes in several different places,

Example, Starforce may crash because it tried to ask the system what give me a list of the files in DIR \Lockon nnnn\nnnn, got jibberish back - and then crashes horribly because it tried to use that list.

A protect.dll crash is just a symptom - not a cause. :)

To me this is a indicator of a system-problem. Mostly the kernelbase kinds of crashes, but you did have one of the other kind with a crash in the d3d9.dll.

It could mean your have problems with your filesystem (run CHKDSK), a component problem (mainboard or memory, or disk etc) or currupt windows files.

It could also be security software (Internet protection suites) who try to intercept the game and the communcation it has with the system.

It can also be some kind of devices attached to your PC, but I cannot see any incompatible devices on your PC in the DxDiag. However you could try to unplug the Saitek keyboard and use a regular keyboard just to check.

But first, run a CHKDSK as described in post #4 here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=868859&postcount=4

If you do understand how to read the eventlogs in post #4 that may be a great help for us - you may find other kinds of problems besides FC2 - which may give us an indication what the problem really is.

But CHKDSK and the reboots first, and we'll take it from there.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

It's to do with StarForce DRM.

Aha, indeed could be starforce related. I hope we can find out if anyone else is having the

same crash, otherwise I'm guessing it is probably related to something in your setup, or

triggering some rare condition/flaw in the game. If more people end up having the same crash issue though, I think we can be pretty sure it is a crash in the game itself.

Mustang do you know anyone else getting this crash?

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

protect.dll is a symptom - not a cause.

See crash.logs - I tried to emphasise on that in my previous post. And yes, it's the FC2 DRM.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Don't know if it helps but one of my mates was having crash issues. He's a complete compu-tard and I didn't have a lot of advise to offer him other than installing FC2 outside of Program Files. It cured the crashing. He's on Vista 32bit, and I see your on Win7 32bit, though it's only supposed to make a difference on 64bit OS's, but it worked for him.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 6700K, 32GB Corsair 2400Mhz, 970 NVMe 500Gb SSD, GeForce 2080 super, HP Reverb, VKB GF PRO, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster Pendular rudders, Windows + DCS :thumbup:

My youtube channel

Just out of a curiosity, any of you guys experiencing errors got paging file disabled?

Also any of you running I7 machines with either HT on or off?

Edited by Pilotasso

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

HT is on but virtual paging is off.

In video setting I have threaded optimization on auto but not sure if this is even suported in FC2 or BS?

But considering the runtime error some of the guys are gettin I would venture they need to trun it off.

Just out of a curiosity, any of you guys experiencing errors got paging file disabled?

Also any of you running I7 machines with either HT on or off?

Edited by Mastiff

You guys should try changing paging and HT settings, I got a feeling this error is related to time at which something shifts or breaks.

My PC specs below:

I have the same problem with XP 32bit. My sys. is not so powerfull, AM2NF6G-VSTA mainboard (just pci-e 8x), AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual @2200 Mhz), 2*1 GB DDR2 800, 8800GTX 768MB, 160 GB ATA Ultra DMA-33. Same kind of message: runtime error protect.dll. Just in MP modus, sometimes I play for hours, sometimes just 20 min. Some people told me itґs my weak system, but now I see thats not the reason.

It helps me to jump out of the game with alt+tab each 15-20 min.

Edited by Wodan
  • Like 1

Win10, Intel 2500K@4,4 MHz, 16GB RAM, ASUS STRIX-GTX1060, SSD CRUCIAL MX300 525 GB, 4K TV LG 50UH635V, FreeTrack, X52

Thats starforce however others are reporting DLL's related with ATI GFX or core DLL. Cant see the relation of these.

My PC specs below:

I have the same problem with XP 32bit. My sys. is not so powerfull, AM2NF6G-VSTA mainboard (just pci-e 8x), AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual @2200 Mhz), 2*1 GB DDR2 800, 8800GTX 768MB, 160 GB ATA Ultra DMA-33. Same kind of message: runtime error protect.dll. Just in MP modus, sometimes I play for hours, sometimes just 20 min. Some people told me itґs my weak system, but now I see thats not the reason.

It helps me to jump out of the game with alt+tab each 15-20 min.

That last part seems to do the trick for me Wodan :thumbup:

I alt-tab every 15 mins and i can fly and fly for several hours now, not a single runtime error or CTD in sight :)

The only side effect i get is this (and before anyone asks, i have CatalystAI well and truly disabled :D

screenshot000j.jpg

Seems to be some bad issue with videoRAM framebuffer allocation in FC2.0 1.2.1 and DCS:BS 1.0.2 with some cards/video drivers, guess this will be something i'll have to learn to live with.

edit: i've tested this more extensively the past few hours, and i can confirm that if i do not alt-tab every 15 mins or so, i am guaranteed a C++ Runtime Error. I can live with player screens going white, just as long as i can keep flying :)

Edited by Mustang

Mustang, the CatalystAI thing affects OpenGL only (The SP GUI). The game is running under DirectX.

But what you are seeing is either some general ATI thing, that others also see if they do the same.

Or if it's unique for you, pehaps you could borrow a card from someone else and test for a day or two?

i had some runtime error related crashes too. I think the 1920 x 1200 resolution was too much for the 4gb of ram I have. the memory use of lock on was at around 73% so that might caused the error.

@ Mustang Theory here for ED, alt-tabing out every 15 to 20 mins, might be that the starforce is actually checking and it may well be causing the runtime dll crash's. Food for thought.. protect.dll.

What you do when you alt tab out is to release memory. Windows memory managment will try to optimize the memory - it's a common trick to minimize an app to release memory for Windows Terminal Servers.

My personal opinion (when you view the crash logs) is that it has less to do with Starforce - more with memory management / garbage collection.

But again - these things are just the symptoms - good for diagnosing and try to get an idea more about the true cause.

So its not flushing the toilet, so to speak? :joystick::book:

So here was my experience:

1. Installed the patch and got the runtime error indicated.

2. Renamed my modded Flaming Cliffs 2 folder to Flaming Cliffs 2 Modded.

3. Installed a fresh clean copy of Flaming Cliffs 2.

4. Installed the patch.

5. Game ran successfully.

Seems that if you forget any mods (I did on the initial patch install) that can mess things up.

I also noticed that when I applied my custom graphics.cfg I also got the run time error.

As the readme says: "The patch must be installed over a clean original release version without third-party modifications."

I now have a patched copy (that I have also added my MODS to) and it works great.

Many thanks to ED for an excellent patch. I can now fly the SU25T with the shkval on and not have my system crawl to its knees. I also like the new animation when you land after ejecting. Plus many other good things (like multiplayer with Blackshark) Many thanks and keep the fixes coming.

One thing I noticed is that the zoom is now managed via the mouse wheel even though the keypad commands are mapped in the controls file. Strike that. Once I used the mouse to zoom then the keypad commands worked.

Other than that - thanks again.

Edited by Sabre-TLA

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates