Electrical System Ground Check. Impressive.

Buznee

Hey everyone,

I was curious about checking to see how the electrical system has been modeled on UH-1H and I'm pleased with the results.

First I started with setting the DC VM to battery and switching the battery switch to on and making sure the battery voltage looked reasonable. I then proceeded to load the system with strobe, landing light, fuel pump, etc. After a while you could see the battery voltage drop. I confirmed that switching the DC VM to MAIN GEN, STBY GEN, NON ESS BUS showed zero voltage. The ESS BUS showed battery voltage. Also confirmed that the main gen load meter showed zero for all these settings which makes sense since the load meter is connected to the gen only and not to the battery.

I proceeded with a start with the main gen set to off and watched as the voltage dropped on the battery as expected. Initial lightoff seems to be programmed in at roughly 10% NG. The voltage comes back after this point is reached although the engine is self sustained just under 40% NG.

I then shut down and restarted for roughly 10 times at which I was able to deplete the battery to the point that I could not restart the engine. I then asked the crew chief to hook up ground power and watched as the battery voltage showed nominal voltage.

After a successful start with ground power I confirmed that the main gen was able to recharge the battery. Also switching off the main gen but having the start switch set to stby gen also charged the battery. You can also see that the VM for the main gen and stby gen were working properly as well as the load meters for both.

Finally I tried to see if temperature effects battery performance. I set the temperature to -40C and proceeded to a battery start. I was only able to do a single start successfully. The second start did not have adequate juice. Hooking up electrical power solved that problem.

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this. :smartass:

Good Job Belsimtek! Very Impressed.

Now that I got your attention, onto my list of desires =)

FIX LIST

- EGT indication of hot start. Engine damage due to hot start.

- Engine damage due to hot EGT in flight. Loss of engine power.

- Throttle corrector proportional during throttle up to flight idle. Right now its practically like an on off switch with the governor engaged.

- Failure option in the editor for tail rotor drive failure and tail rotor control failure.

WISH LIST

- Reliability modeling for all systems (this can be an implementation for DCS World). Makes it important to actually do checks before takeoff instead of assuming that everything is perfect). This can be set as a percentage kinda like bird strike.

- Troop ingress egress animation as well as communication with troops.

- Multiplayer multicrew cockpit =) (including pilot, copilot, gunners)

- external load ops!

- sar ops! Everyone knows that DCS is in need of a CSAR machine. winch control, jumpmaster position. compliments well to multicrew cockpit =) we can add a jumpmaster position. This would be my ultimate dream. This can transfer nicely over to mi-8 as well.

- water, snow, icing and bug effects. A real need to actually use the windshield wipers.

Everything else is fantastic. Thanks again Belsimtek. Can't wait to fly the huey over in Vegas with EDGE.

• Like 2

WISH LIST

- Reliability modeling for all systems (this can be an implementation for DCS World). Makes it important to actually do checks before takeoff instead of assuming that everything is perfect). This can be set as a percentage kinda like bird strike.

I noticed the other night that the Mi-8 has a setting for an engine age factor in the mission editor. I haven't played with it to see what it does, but I wonder if that's something like what you're looking for?

Win10 x64, 16 GB RAM, Ryzen 5 1600X @3.60 GHz, 500 GB SSD, GeForce 1080 Ti

I was curious about checking to see how the electrical system has been modeled on UH-1H and I'm pleased with the results.

Great post! I suspected that there'd be a high level of detail under the hood, but some of your findings are really crazy detailed. Wow. :)

Going through the circuit breakers now and I might have found a small bug... When pulling the ignition breaker but leaving the start breaker on I can't engage the starter. I would have thought the starter would engage but you wouldn't have the ignitors sparking. tak tak tak tak.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a bigger bug: Land the chopper after a normal flight and turn off the engine. Do that by cutting the throttle and turning off the fuel pump. Then (with the blades still spinning) turn off the battery and both generators. The huey will still have power until the blades come to a full stop.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I found a bigger bug: Land the chopper after a normal flight and turn off the engine. Do that by cutting the throttle and turning off the fuel pump. Then (with the blades still spinning) turn off the battery and both generators. The huey will still have power until the blades come to a full stop.

I've noticed this too, but it only stays on until the engine has shut down. I can turn the battery off then, with the blades still winding down (for quite a while after actual engine shut down), and everything is off.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.