HMA's cockpit build

Hansolo

Hi hansangb,

I haven't done anything to the DIFF.lua

I am still using the 3000+ numbers in the default.lua file that I exchange the original with using JSGME. Then afterwards I map the buttons DCSW. DCSW will then alter the DIFF.lua accordingly.

I think I did look into the DIFF at one time but couldn't find heads and tails on it.

Not much I am afraid :cry:

Cheers

Hans

Thanks, so you map all the buttons in DCS directly now? Or do you still edit the DEFAULT.LUA as well. I can play around with it this week and report back. I got it to work by mapping in DCS, but would like to use DEFAULT.LUA (using JSGME so it won't get wiped out) for more complicated combo functions.

How many USB controllers do you use? I'm still curious how the 3000+ numbers map to the controllers. Just when the controllers were installed? I'll have to do some investigation here.

When I add the DSD controllers, I'll see if more lines get added to the 3000+ lines.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Fuel panel looking good m8. Looks kind of weathered already. I like that you haven't tried to hide the dots/imperfections etc Hans. I'm same, if there are chips and scuffs, it makes it more realistic. :thumbup:

Thanks Weeb. I actually didn't do much. Its a real panel from an A-10A that I found on Ebay. It just needed clean up and then I made the fuel level as it doesn't come with the real panel :)

Thanks, so you map all the buttons in DCS directly now? Or do you still edit the DEFAULT.LUA as well. I can play around with it this week and report back. I got it to work by mapping in DCS, but would like to use DEFAULT.LUA (using JSGME so it won't get wiped out) for more complicated combo functions.

How many USB controllers do you use? I'm still curious how the 3000+ numbers map to the controllers. Just when the controllers were installed? I'll have to do some investigation here.

When I add the DSD controllers, I'll see if more lines get added to the 3000+ lines.

I should have made myself more clear on this, sorry. Yes I have a moddified DEFAULT.lua that I install with JSGME. Then afterwards I will do the mapping in DCS. Let me attache my default.-lua later wwhen I am off work :)

Here you go; https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d5ckrggphujvt7w/AAD-iki1xz-RvL4tbmYtVYU-a?dl=0

Cheers

Hans

Edited by Hansolo
Link for JSGME ready default.lua

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Thick8,

Then I got time to look into this.

All the files you need are located here:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts

The + 3000 is defined in command_defs.lua line 492 an onwards.

When you want to do the APU GEN you need to locate it in clickabledata.lua:

elements["PTR-EPP-APU-GEN-PWR"] = {class = {class_type.TUMB, class_type.TUMB}, hint = _("APU Generator On/Off"), device = devices.ELEC_INTERFACE, action = {device_commands.Button_1 ,device_commands.Button_1}, arg = {241,241}, arg_value = {-1,1}, arg_lim = {{0,1},{0,1}},updatable = true}

devices.ELEC_INTERFACE is found in devices.lua line 8 as counter() -- 1. Here you note down 1 (one) as you need it for cockpit_device_ID=1

device_commands.Button_1 we already found in comman_defs.lua to be + 3000, thus down = 3001 and up = 3001

{0,1} are the values for up=unactivated and down=activated thus value_down=1 and value_up=0

Then you have the full line:

{combos = {{key = "JOY_BTN89"}}, down = 3001, up = 3001, cockpit_device_id = 1, value_down = 1, value_up = 0, name = "APU generator power", category = "Electrical power control panel"}

The orange text is the original from the joystick.lua. I am pretty sure this is what it is displayed as in the game Option - Controls

Hope it made a little sense otherwise let me know.

Cheers

Hans

Hans, I have a question for you. (and thank you for the file)

How do you know which 30xx maps to which USB board? I have four boards that I'm using. Do you just count down? So if you have 16 input board, and another 16 input board, 3001 - 3017 references the first board. And 3018 - 3034 references the second board?

And I noticed you use (in AHCC) Master ARM and Master TRAIN. You don't use MASTER SAFE via SPDT switches? I can get this to work just by mapping it in DCS' built in control/settings page. But the diff file that it creates now will not let me use three position switch like in the past. I mean the DIFF lua file will let me transition to ARM or TRAIN, but not to SAFE. (I see now you give it three arguments for AHCC Master mode)

I used the in game controller setting, and got it to work for Master ARM and TRAIN, but I could not figure out how to get it to SAFE. I tried to modify the DIFF lua file, and tried every combination that I could think of, but it simply won't work without touching the defual.lua file (for three position switches, anyway)

Edited by hansangb
(I see now you give it three arguments for AHCC Master mode)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hans, I have a question for you. (and thank you for the file)

How do you know which 30xx maps to which USB board? I have four boards that I'm using. Do you just count down? So if you have 16 input board, and another 16 input board, 3001 - 3017 references the first board. And 3018 - 3034 references the second board?

And I noticed you use (in AHCC) Master ARM and Master TRAIN. You don't use MASTER SAFE via SPDT switches? I can get this to work just by mapping it in DCS' built in control/settings page. But the diff file that it creates now will not let me use three position switch like in the past. I mean the DIFF lua file will let me transition to ARM or TRAIN, but not to SAFE. (I see now you give it three arguments for AHCC Master mode)

I used the in game controller setting, and got it to work for Master ARM and TRAIN, but I could not figure out how to get it to SAFE. I tried to modify the DIFF lua file, and tried every combination that I could think of, but it simply won't work without touching the defual.lua file (for three position switches, anyway)

Hi hansangb,

First of all the 30xx numbers only refers to DCS. It's got nothing to do with the joystick controllers. I am pretty sure that the controller boards have a unique name and then input 1-16 or 0-15.

For the AHCP I am having a 3-position toggle switch but mine are on-off-on meaning that there are only closed contact in out positions and I therefore only use 2 inputs. You can get on-on-on switches and then you can use 3 inputs.

I bypass the 3 inputs by doing this:

{down = 3001, up = 3001, cockpit_device_id = 7, value_down = 0.2, value_up = 0.1, name = "Master switch ARM", category = "Armament HUD Control Panel"},

Which should be read as 'if the toggle switch is activated (value_down) then set in DCS as ARM position. If not activated (value_up) then set it in middle position i.e. SAFE

{down = 3001, up = 3001, cockpit_device_id = 7, value_down = 0, value_up = 0.1, name = "Master switch TRAIN", category = "Armament HUD Control Panel"},

Which should be read as 'if the toggle switch is activated (value_down) then set in DCS as TRAIN position. If not activated (value_up) then set it in middle position i.e. SAFE

So you see if neither of my two inputs are activated then DCS shall set in SAFE. Both TRAIN and ARM I have mapped via the game settings.

Hope it was of a little assistance otherwise let me know.

Cheers

Hans

• Like 1

Hans, I must be missing something fundamental. I get the syntax, and when I said that you're using all three arguments, I was describing what you just wrote. But how does DCS know that 3001 maps to that particular physical switch.

cockpit_device_id = 7, means AHCC. So I get that.

Value_down/up is the argument that it passed along. So I get that.

Name and Category, I get as well.

But how does 3001 map to that physical switch? That's what I'm trying to understand. I'm sorry about all the questions, but I really must be missing something fundamental.

When I added my first GPWIZ board, I had no issues. I got it all to work. But I just assumed 3001 mapped to my physical switch (INPUT 1 on GPWIZ) and 3002 mapped to INPUT 2 on GPWIZ etc. Is that not the case?

BTW, I'm not talking about using the in game controller setup screen and activating the switch. I'm talking about using the LUA to configure what my switches should do.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

(Disclaimer: the following is my understanding of how things work after having added the A-10C and UH-1H to DCS-BIOS; other modules might do some things differently for all I know. The following applies to actions that will be bound to a keyboard key or joysick button. Axis assignments are a bit different, because the concept of pushing and releasing a button is not applicable.)

cockpit_device_id = 7, means AHCC. So I get that.

Value_down/up is the argument that it passed along. So I get that.

Name and Category, I get as well.

But how does 3001 map to that physical switch?

It doesn't. The 3001 (which I'll call "command id" from now on) is used together with the cockpit_device_id ("device ID") to identify the control in the virtual cockpit.

Each entry in the default.lua file specifies an action in the virtual cockpit that you can map to a button on a physical input device. It can -- but does not have to -- also specify a button on a physical input device that is mapped to this action in the default configuration.

Any changes you make to the default configuration in the DCS settings dialog will be stored in the .diff.lua files. An entry in a .diff.lua file that does not apply to any action defined in default.lua will be ignored.

Here's two example entries from the A-10C's keyboard\default.lua file. The first example (Landing Gear lever) specifies a default mapping of the "G" key, the second one (Anti-Skid switch) doesn't:

{combos = {{key = 'G'}},						 		 down = iCommandPlaneGear, name = _('Landing Gear Up/Down'), category = _('Landing gear panel')},
{down = iCommandPlaneLGPAntiSkid, 								name = _('Anti-Skid ON/OFF'), category = _('Landing gear panel')},

Here's a breakdown of the entries of a command definition:

category -- the category in the DCS options dialog

name -- the name/description of the action

combos -- a Lua table specifying which keys / joystick buttons should be mapped by default

down -- id of the command to trigger when the assigned key as been pushed down

pressed -- id of the command to trigger repeatedly while the assigned key is held down

up -- id of the command to trigger when the assigned key has been released

value_down -- command argument to use for the "down" command

value_up -- command argument to use for the "up" command

cockpit_device_id -- used with the performClickableAction method to identify the virtual cockpit control (see below)

DCS has two different ways to issue commands to the simulator. I will call them "LoSetCommand" and "performClickableAction", after the names of the Lua functions that are used when triggering them from Export.lua.

The two approaches use different pieces of information to identify a control in the virtual cockpit.

LoSetCommand method

This is the simplest method. It requires a command id and an optional argument. I suspect that the argument is only used for axis assignments.

The command ids for the LoSetCommand method are identified by constants whose names start with "iCommand".

Most of these toggle their respective switch (e.g. the AntiSkid example above). When key bindings exist to set a switch to a specific position, they seem to get their own command ids instead of using the argument:

{down = iCommandPlaneLGPLandLight, 								name = _('Landing Lights On'), category = _('Landing gear panel')},
{down = iCommandPlaneLGPLightsOff, 								name = _('Landing/Taxi Lights Off'), category = _('Landing gear panel')},
{down = iCommandPlaneLGPTaxiLight, 								name = _('Taxi Lights On'), category = _('Landing gear panel')},

performClickableAction method

The performClickableAction method uses command ids and arguments just like the LoSetCommand method. The differences are that the argument is actually used, and the command ids are not globally unique. Instead, the command ids are only unique within a particular "cockpit device". There tends to be a separate cockpit device for each subsystem of an aircraft (e.g. electrical, weapons, avionics...) and each cockpit device handles all inputs related to its subsystem. For actions that use the performClickableAction method, you have to specify the cockpit_device_id parameter so DCS knows which cockpit device should handle the command.

For a given cockpit device, each control in the virtual cockpit that it is responsible for gets a different command id, starting from 3001 and counting up. Different positions (of a toggle switch, for example) share the same command id; they are identified by different argument values instead. For two-position toggle switches, those argument values tend to be 0 for off and 1 for on. Three-position switches tend to use 0.0, 0.1 and 0.2 or -1, 0 and 1.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Ian, thank you. Ran through it quickly as I'm under the gun. But I'll come back later and thoroughly dig into it. But reading it quickly, I think I finally got it! Oh, and I mostly fly UH1 and A10C so that's perfect. :)

And thank you Hans!

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

• 2 months later...

Baldawg CDU question

Got a question from Baldawg on DM's thread but in order not clutter his thread then I'll post the reply here.

I found a cdu just like that on ebay and was wondering how the hell I would get it working without having to build a new board. Is this picture you posted Han your own work?

Baldawg, I have attached the pinout for that CDU. I think I managed to fry the potentiometer so I do not have the pin numbers for that, Sorry.

I purchased this D-Sub connector http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-D-Sub-37-PIN-DB37-Female-Solder-Connector-Socket-/180688700516?hash=item2a11e2c464:g:0JIAAMXQhpdRvy6i

I tried to utilize an Arduino board in order to implement it with DCS-BIOS later on. This is a small (poor quality) YT of a test running this Arduino library; http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/Keypad

My idea was to use SWITCH CASE to identify the presses and then send it via DCS-BIOS. It may not work but then I can probably just use a joystick controller board and use the same matrix. I wouldn't even put in the diodes that are normally used in the matrix as only one button would be pressed at any time.

NOTE! Pinout has been updated with Arduino pins for this particular CDU to ease understanding, https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3774588&postcount=24

Cheers

Hans

C-130 CDU pinout.pdf

Edited by Hansolo
Pinout updated with Arduino pin numbers

I haven't made a move to get into arduino yet. Everything I'm using in my pit is in my signature. I purchased a book on arduino but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Not much of a programmer so the idea of trying to implement it even though it's sounds relatively easy isn't something I'm ready to get into quite yet. I did notice in your video there is a few small differences in my CDU as far as the labeling on the buttons and an on/off rotary on the bottom right of the screen. I wasn't to concerned about the on off rotary as it wouldn't apply to the A10 anyway. It does have the same 37 pin dsub connector on the back so as far as the alpha numeric keys, arrow keys and a few others the matrix pin out should apply to mine as well. What arduino board would you use in this case. MEGA perhaps? Thanks for the response and the addition to your thread. Hopefully I'll get motivated to add this to the pit someday soon

20161120_161742.thumb.jpg.1707124d2f90d5d7f331e0e0b08cecc0.jpg

Edited by Baldawg

Win 10 Pro - Intel I7 12700k@4.9ghz water cooled - ASUS TUF Z690 -EVGA RTX 3080 12G Hybrid - EVGA 1000W PSU - 32GB 3200 G-Skill XMP- Reverb G2 -Custom mip and side panels - Leo Bodnar  BBI32x2, BBI64x4 - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFD's x 3 - TM TPR pedals

Hi Baldawg,

Disregard the previous nonsence :) The UNO doesn't have enough pins. You'll need a Mega ;)

Cheers

Hans

Oh and I managed to get RS485 up and running after assistance from Ian :thumbup:

Still in early trial phase of cause :smilewink:

Edited by Hansolo
The UNO didn't have enough pins, forgot one for RS485 "enable"

....and you also need to leave a single digital pin for the Rs-487 "enable" pin.

Good job getting the bus working Hans.:thumbup:

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

Hi hansangb,

First of all the 30xx numbers only refers to DCS. It's got nothing to do with the joystick controllers. I am pretty sure that the controller boards have a unique name and then input 1-16 or 0-15.

For the AHCP I am having a 3-position toggle switch but mine are on-off-on meaning that there are only closed contact in out positions and I therefore only use 2 inputs. You can get on-on-on switches and then you can use 3 inputs.

I bypass the 3 inputs by doing this:

{down = 3001, up = 3001, cockpit_device_id = 7, value_down = 0.2, value_up = 0.1, name = "Master switch ARM", category = "Armament HUD Control Panel"},

Which should be read as 'if the toggle switch is activated (value_down) then set in DCS as ARM position. If not activated (value_up) then set it in middle position i.e. SAFE

{down = 3001, up = 3001, cockpit_device_id = 7, value_down = 0, value_up = 0.1, name = "Master switch TRAIN", category = "Armament HUD Control Panel"},

Which should be read as 'if the toggle switch is activated (value_down) then set in DCS as TRAIN position. If not activated (value_up) then set it in middle position i.e. SAFE

So you see if neither of my two inputs are activated then DCS shall set in SAFE. Both TRAIN and ARM I have mapped via the game settings.

Hope it was of a little assistance otherwise let me know.

Cheers

Hans

Hans (and Ian) thanks again. I tried this and it doesn't work for me with the latest 1.5.5..

I used the switches connected to GPWIZ to tell DCS that JOYBTN9 is ARM and JOYBTN10 is TRAIN. this is int the SETUP, CONTROLS, A10, clicking on the column for GPWIZ and using the KEY/BUTTON assignment. And as expected, the DIFF lua files are created automatically. It works as advertised for ARM and TRAIN, but not for SAFE.

The DIFF LUA looks like:

local diff = {

["keyDiffs"] = {

["d1374pnilunilcdnilvdnilvpnilvunil"] = {

["added"] = {

[1] = {

["key"] = "JOY_BTN9",

},

},

["name"] = "Master switch ARM",

},

["d1376pnilunilcdnilvdnilvpnilvunil"] = {

["added"] = {

[1] = {

["key"] = "JOY_BTN10",

},

},

["name"] = "Master switch TRAIN",

},

},

}

return diff

Then I added this to default.lua (C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\Input\Aircrafts\Default\joystick\default.lua)

And while the ARM and TRAIN works (as expected) I can't get it to recognize the UP states. I have SPDT on-off-on switches like you.

I guess I can just get DPDT switches and be done with it! :D

But before, this worked just fine - the way you're using argument 0.1 as the SAFE. It worked with the same card, same switch prior to 1.5 upgardes.

Does this still work for you in 1.5.5?

Thanks again. Now that my MPCNC is coming, I want to start building my switchboxes.

I'll keep playing around with the DIFF file. It sure looks sure "d1376pnilunilcdnilvdnilvpnilvunil" holds some promise. LIke adding [2] block to it to represent the SAFE state. or using dnil...u1075 I wish ED would document some of this. :(

Edited by hansangb
changd fonts

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

That is a bit strange hansagb,

I am running 1.5.5 and that is working. The d1374 doesn't look like it fits in.

This is the mentioned line in my defualt. luse (same as yours);

And is my diff.lua;

["d3001pnilu3001cd7vd0.2vpnilvu0.1"] = {

["added"] = {

[1] = {

["key"] = "JOY_BTN32",

},

},

["name"] = "Master switch ARM",

},

["d3001pnilu3001cd7vd0vpnilvu0.1"] = {

["added"] = {

[1] = {

["key"] = "JOY_BTN31",

},

},

["name"] = "Master switch TRAIN",

},

In mine you can recognize the syntax(?) of the defualt.lua if you look closely.

Can you confirm that the diff.lua you posted is after after you changed the default.lua code?

Cheers

Hans

It is. And the 1374 is the physical button. 1375 is the middle (off) position and 1376 is the other switch. It shows up when I activate the switch in the game config setting.

But I see in yours, it references the correct 3001.

I'll troubleshoot some more. I don't know why 3001 is not be referenced in my setup. But if nothing else, I now better understand the syntax based on your "d3001pnilu3001cd7vd0.2vpnilvu0.1"]

And just to confirm: You went into the game control setup, and clicked on the column of your switch controller (gpwiz, bodnars etc.) and clicked the switch to have it show JOY_BTN32 and 31?

And again, thanks for putting up with my inane questions. Do you happen to use Amazon? I think Amazon is somewhat limited in Denmark. And PS:. The best hot sausage I've ever had was at CPH airport. Right where you get on the train. Man...were they delicious!

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Yes I didn't do anything to the diff.lua. I only installed my version of the default.lua and the mapped the switches in game control setup.

LOL yeah it's the Steff Houlberg one by the elevators :thumbup: My old gas engineer and I used go by there when we returned from sea. A hotdog and a beer then we were ready for the train ride back home :-D

Cheers

Hans

I figured it out. I started to rule out the basics. I went looking for duplicate (original) AHCP commands and I couldn't find any. So I did a repair and looked for it again. No dice.

*THAT'S* when I realized I wasn't in he MODS/Aircraft directory. OMG!!!!!

(in case someone needs it: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Input\A-10C\joystick)

Now it's working like a charm. SOOOO many hours wasted because I didn't double-check the basics. When I teach network packet analysis, I always tell people "if you hear hooves beating, think horses, not zebras"

I went looking for Zebras for DAYS!!!

Thanks again.

Ian/Hans, PM sent. Please check.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

• 4 weeks later...

Sweeeet

Not wired up yet and the two Thrustmaster hat switches (radio and coolie hat) are not fully inserted yet. Needs final adjustment and check of the slew sensor (original).

I am anxiously awaiting the controller board Gadroc is making which will include amplifyer for the slew sensor (https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2992649&postcount=336).

Man I can wait till getting this baby hooked up :cry:

The left side head is the original one from the A-model just sanded and painted flat black. The right hand side was done by Gadroc :thumbup: Excellent quality and parts fits in like a glove. Many thanks for for making this possible Sir. Just got some primer and some flat black paint with an airbrush.

zSr3PUrh.jpg

The boat switch may be a little too big but I they where in a bundle of switches I bought last year. They were (on)-off-(on) but Deadman knew how to modify them into on-off-on. Thanks for the assistance Sir. Rest of the switches are from the original A-model, just cleaned.

Cheers

Hans

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys but credit goes to Gradoc for making these.

Been working a little more in implementing DCS-BIOS. Small steps to get some of the things up and running.

This time is was trying to get the Anti Collision light mag switch up and running DCS-BIOS over a IRF510 MOSFET to get 24VDC on the mag switch coil. I probably will lower the voltage to 12VDC because it can hold on that voltage and it means I'll have less different voltages to worry about. Plan is to hotwire a ATX power supply for 5VDC and 12VDC.

Mag switch is engaged as can be seen and then released by moving throttle pinky switch from aft into middle position

Now as can be seen it doesn't work 100% of the times. I suspect that the issue may be that toggle once will set the switch on and toggle a second time will set the switch off. Probably something I forgotten. I remember there was a discussion in the DCS-BIOS thread about implementing a HOLD function. Will have to browse that to see if I can get it to work better :huh:

Secondly it's not working correctly if throttle pinky switch is in middle position. Meaning that it you shouldn't be able to set the mag switch in on position but you can. I suspect it is the returning problem that DCS isn't exporting then correct status. I may just have to add a two pole toggle switch for the throttle pinky switch. That way I can put one of them to DCS-BIOS and the oher into the 24VDC loop for the mag switch coil. That way it only works in the correct throttle pinky switch positions.

However I will still have to figure out how to get similar logic working for the remaining mag switches, which is good because then I will not get bored in 2017 :D

Cheers

Hans

Hi Hans. Nice progress. Got my anti-col switch i place but not yet wired and able to test but a note regarding voltage. Had my other driven by 12V initially, lock was good at first attempt but failed most of times when try to reinstate "on" after release. Swapped to a 24V supply and problem gone. Relay board controlled in my case.

If you find a "hold" funtion please ping back.

Cheers

/gus

- - - -

Thanks Gus for the advice. Sound reasonable. Took the 12VDC supply from VP where they had good experience with it. Anyway it's no biggy to run the 24VDC supply also since I already have it :-)

If I find somthing good I'll let you know of cause.

Cheers

Hans