HUD and drag bombs (chute)

SspectrumM

Hi, i'm having this "issue" from a few weeks. The HUD is showing me a different image than usual when I try to use the bombs (drag bombs). The viggen is my favorite module, i have been using it for a year and i know how to use the bombs, has something changed? is it some king of bug or change to the display? if i fly higher the marks on the HUD just disappear, i'ts not an altitude issue or wrong QFE.

ili7IhH.jpg

Edited by SspectrumM

Hey RagnarDa, I appreciate your attention. I did some tests, the problem seems to be related with the marks position on the hud. At 50 m (radar) above the target i can barely see the marks on the hud but i can still notice the "too low" simbology, going up at 100 m (radar) the marks disappear of the hud, the only way to see part of the marks is standing up.

mqumaIS.jpg

u1Lkkol.jpg

RaEAcVJ.jpg

si4aV1I.jpg

Fly faster and then a little higher. The safety height for high-drag bombs are dynamically calculated (between 130-160m), the faster you fly the lower you can go. If you fly at least Mach 0.8 you’ll be able to drop them at a lowest altitude (130m).

Edit: the sight uses the barometric altitude, the radar altitude is irrelevant.

Edited by RagnarDa

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

I'm not trying to be annoying but it is impossible for me to use the bombs in the current state and I would like to know if I am doing something wrong, if there have been changes in the procedures or if there is some kind of bug. It seems that the QFE data has some kind of discrepancy.

UNSAFE* Ops!

HUVrXJX.jpg

s5zKsl5.jpg

UpQ8FT1.jpg

HUVrXJX.jpg

On the first picture, it seems like you have the HUD altitude showing radar altitude (right switch below the clock, saying "Höjd...").

Remember:

Edit: the sight uses the barometric altitude, the radar altitude is irrelevant.

And I believe you should use the QFE for the target waypoint found on the kneeboard, if you missed that.

Edited by Holton181

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

It is important to have the radar altitude on screen (hud) when you are flying very low,

is a necessary reference to know the altitude between you and the ground (and the target) and should not affect the bombs calculation.

I always check the kneeboard info and set the QFE "instrument" on the Viggen, its imperative to use the high drag bombs, that's the reference that the computer uses to do its calculations

but for a month or more something has changed and now the calculations are incoherent, i'm using the viggen from since the release, a lot, i know the procedures, what I can not understand is if it is a problem with my game or is an extended problem.

+1

I have the same problem, please fix this, I know the F14 is the hot topic now but don't forget this module

RYZEN 7 1800X 3.5ghz / 32 DDR4 RAM Crucial / Nvidia 2070 RTX EVGA / Samsung SSD 500 GB / Acer XB270H G-Sync / Trackir 5 / Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog / Oculus CV1

Yeah it's really tricky - I'm flying mach 0.9, altitude 150m, target QFE set but I can't see anything. HUD glass up or down, doesn't make a difference. If I lean over real hard over the HUD I _might_ see the top part of the HUD symbology just above the nose but usually it disappears totally.

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I thought I forgot how to use this thing. I knew how to bomb with High-Drag a couple months ago but now the symbology has me all screwed up. In order to avoid the "too-low" problem you have to be too high to actually see the symbols on the hud. idk why they changed this.

Something does feel different. I just flew around dropping bombs into the ocean (guaranteed flat surface, known QFE). Even with my head up at ridiculous angle, I can't see the initial impact point until I'm at 120m altitude or below, at a very unlikely M1.04.

I don't argue that this is the point the bombs are landing, I just wonder if something is off with the ballistics or parachute timing.

There also seems to be a discontinuity in the calculations, the pipper makes a sudden jump around 30-50m altitude.. not that you should be dropping there anyway, but it's still strange.

Finally, as a note to others like me who are experimenting, sometimes the bombs get stuck and don't want to release no matter the parameters.. in that case, you can just cycle the weapon selector out and back to PLAN.

I'm joining the club here for your same reasons, Gentlemen, so like you I'm just feeling frustrated because I tried any kind of visual and approach, but that symbology should have something magic it in to vanish so quickly.

Bah. I should have to try harder, I guess, one of these days I will succeed in finding what my error was, first of all.

With best regards,

I’ve looked into it and realized that while we don’t have much info about the aerodynamic properties of the bombs I could estimate this from how the sight is constructed (time-of-flight >5.2 seconds and a variable safety height of 130-160m at M0.55-0.8). I’ve recalculated the aerodynamics of the bombs and changed them in-game. The sight will display a little higher and the margins will be better. This update won’t be in tomorrow’s patch but probably the one after that.

Edited by RagnarDa

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

• 2 weeks later...