Help ! My KA 50 keeps spinning aaargh

Cionara

Ok here is my situation.

I start the helicopter, type in the waypoints, take off and let the autopilot do the job. When I reach the point I setup the weaponsystems and I lock the target.

Then I have to turn the KA50 to the target to let the "C" appear. But when I rotate the KA 50 to the left (where the target is) it just goes back where it was before. Route-mode is off, the 4 autopilot-options are illuminated.

When I turn to the target and set the trim it spins slowlier but it spins.

Then I noticed when I just let the controls go, the helicopter even keeps spinning clockwise till it crashes.

Could this be an effect of wind or the rotor ? Or did I setup the autopilot/trim wrong ?

I hope you can help me and sorry for the bad english :music_whistling:

Watercooled

Core i7 920 @ 4,3 Ghz @1.36Vcore

GTX280- 700/1188

6144 MB DDR3 7-7-7-18 1333Mhz

Hi Ciorona,

I think 2 things are hapenning here:

1) you have "Heading Hold" assistant on, which is good, as you should! , however, you need to understand that to tell the flight computer you want to head a certain direction (ie when turning to face a target) , that you should turn to the target , and then Trim at this heading. This will tell the flight computer to hold the current heading, as opposed to the last heading you were on.

2) Be carefull if you trim whilst having your rudder pedals depressed..if you are yawing to the left and have the left rudder pedal pressed, and then you press trim, the left rudder pedal will stay in the position you trimmed it too! My advice is to ALLWAYS return rudders to center BEFORE trimming. Also, frequently check the Ctrl-Enter guide, which will tell you in a graphical form where each of your controls are trimmed too. It is very easy to loose track of where your rudders are trimmed, which can cause tyhe problems you are having.

Remember, Allways trim to the new heading you want, and allways return rudders to neutral when trimming (obviously there are exceptions to this, but in general!)

Good luck!

you don't have to disengage it you can just retrim it or hold trim turn to heading and let go of trim but disengaging is an option.

Dell XPS 630i w/ Dell nForce 650i Sli ,Intel Q9650 @3.0 ,6.0 GB Ram @800Mhz, 2xGeforce 9800 GT 512 MB ,Saitek X52, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals ,Dell 24" 1080P HD monitor, Klipsch THX Pro Media 2.1 ,TrackIR 4, Logitech MX518

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok that with the trim seemed to work and thx for the (strg+enter) advice.

I'm confused of the trim and the autopilot buttons @.@

The heading hold keeps the heading when turned to route-mode, right ?

And when I want to change it I have to set the Ka50 to the wished heading and press t for the trim ?

Watercooled

GTX280- 700/1188

I just turn on "automatically turn to target" switch.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 3930K.

16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz.

Asus P9X79 Deluxe.

Asus GTX680 2Gb.

Auzentech Home Theater 3D Sound.

TM Warthog HOTAS.

TM Cougar MFD's.

Saitek Flight Pro pedals.

TrackIR 5.

Samsung Syncmaster P2770FH

The heading hold keeps the heading when turned to route-mode, right ?

And when I want to change it I have to set the Ka50 to the wished heading and press t for the trim ?

Not quite...

The 4 Blue buttons to the right hand side control Pitch, Roll , Heading and Altitude holds...these should be on (except for altitude) all of the time.

If you engage Route mode, it will engage another seperate mode that will autmatically fly towards the Nav point you have selected in the PVI, but even with Route mode off, Heading hold, Pitch and Roll stabilisation will still be on, and helping to control the aircraft.

If you have Route mode engaged, you will not need to re-trim to a new heading, as the Route autopilot will do this for you automatically.

You need to trim and re-trim and re-trim and re-trim all of the time when not in route mode though (including in Auto Hover!..keep trimming!!!)

Some people (myself included) use the method of pressing and HOLDING the trim button whenever you move the joystick or rudders, and only release the button when you are at the desired pitch / roll / heading / whatever...

What this does is temporarily disable the Hold's for the duration of the manuever , and automatically re-engages them when you release at the tend of the manuever, and as a result , you get the best of both worlds: intuitive control without the assistants, coupled with stability when you release.

Ah thanks for the great info =)

I will try it tomorrow. And I will catch up my new Saitek joystick from the post-office (played with keyboard the last days).

Edited by Cionara

Watercooled

GTX280- 700/1188

I just turn on "automatically turn to target" switch.

I would only rely on that after you have sustained a hover that could still mess you up because it will fight your AP if its not trimmed properly or atleast thats what happened to me when i first started . Now i just Hold the trim down when i turn then i straighten and level off then let go of the trim button setting it to my current heading,bank, and pitch.

Dell XPS 630i w/ Dell nForce 650i Sli ,Intel Q9650 @3.0 ,6.0 GB Ram @800Mhz, 2xGeforce 9800 GT 512 MB ,Saitek X52, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals ,Dell 24" 1080P HD monitor, Klipsch THX Pro Media 2.1 ,TrackIR 4, Logitech MX518

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks again :)

Helps me a lot ;-)

New problem:

Situation: I'm at autopilot towards a waypoint. I lower the pitch angle to get velocity and trim. BUT WTF. As shown on my little paint the (ingame-)Cyclic doesn't stay at the position where I trimmed it. Why does this happen ? I thought the trim should hold the cyclic there...

attachment.php?attachmentid=25189&d=1235081705

Edit: Noticed that this happens in training-mode only and without autopilot ! Also the forcefeedback does not work etheir in this mode. It seems to be a kind of bug, doesn't it ? I mean in Campaign/Instant Action/Mission it's perfect.

greetings Cionara

prob.jpg.00cd41cd048e8e53a53cdc7d84782bce.jpg

Edited by Cionara

Watercooled

GTX280- 700/1188

See the post over in the Cyborg Evo Force Joystick thread...

What I think you may be seeing above is that the control settings while you are in training mode are being set by whatever the trainer had when he recorded it. Assuming he didn't have a force feedback setup like yours, his settings probably make your stick act like a non-FFB stick. As such, after you release the trim button, if you do not then re-center your stick within 0.5 seconds, the position of your non-centered stick (without the trim button being depressed) will now get added as additional inputs to the control system (ie. 'Added' to the trimmed input that you set).

The non-FFB stick users train themselves to re-center their stick within 0.5 seconds of releasing the trim button (Unless they are using Reticuli's auto-trim scripts, or somesuch). With your FFB stick holding the trim position for you, that should not be necessary for you, but remember that training missions are (apparently) not using your controller settings, and can be expected to yield unexpected results. ;)

Edited by CyBerkut

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• 10 years later...

Old topic, but I got a similar problem. I guess there is no answer to this because I trim, use heading lock, hoover and even calibrated a dead zone to my rudder input to rule out the joystick.

Problem: My Ka-50 is obsessed to turning right slowly. I think even 100% to left trimming does not help. The only thing that would make it stop is the AP lock. BUT EVEN THEN I need to offset my direction to the left by 5-10 degrees or more, as it would force it self to right that much with AP lock on. This is on different situations and on different maps/missions.

AND if I use "Automatic turn on target" mode, it would turn, but keep that 5-10 degrees in its mind = being not turned AT the target.

What else is odd, is that I clearly have autopilot modes on when the buttons are not lit and off when lit.

Any ideas?

Edit: Tested now with ctrl+enter and with rudder trimmed 100% left, it still goes round and round to the right. Very slowly and very annoyingly. Noticeably slower, but still! And its 360 non-stop. Not a wind or a waypoint or anything.

Edited by D4niel
Updade

You are using all 3 autopilot dampers? Pitch, roll and yaw ( aka heading) All 3 should be on for normal flight. Flight Director off.

If the rudder is trimmed all the way left, your plane should be spinning pretty fast to the left.

Something is up with your rudder I think.

I cant recreate what you are describing, the spinning only happens to me in bad winds.

Im doing Instant Action > Take off from Belsan and not changing any settings.

You should be able to hover right away.

Try going to Special settings for KA50 and turn rudder trim off.

X52

You are using all 3 autopilot dampers? Pitch, roll and yaw ( aka heading) All 3 should be on for normal flight. Flight Director off.

If the rudder is trimmed all the way left, your plane should be spinning pretty fast to the left.

Something is up with your rudder I think.

I cant recreate what you are describing, the spinning only happens to me in bad winds.

Im doing Instant Action > Take off from Belsan and not changing any settings.

You should be able to hover right away.

Try going to Special settings for KA50 and turn rudder trim off.

Hey! Wow! Thanks! I went to the ka-50 special settings for the first time and the rudder trim was unchecked (already). So I checked it and now its all good! No wonder trimming didnt stop the spin :D. And Yes, Im using at least the two autopilots all the time and yaw when I wanted to stop the spin. Im yet to figure out how to use yaw full time without it interfering my heading to wherever it thinks its locked to :)

Thank you!

Im yet to figure out how to use yaw full time without it interfering my heading to wherever it thinks its locked to :)

Thank you!

Check out “Route Without Task” in the manual (10-29).

Edited by Chic

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

You need to learn and understand the logic behind the AP's and how they are ment to be used, incl. Route Mode Turn2Target Mode and how they correlate and interfere.

Once you got behind the idea of how this is ment to be used, map the buttons and switches to your HOTAS and you will be amazed how lazy the Ka-50 can be flown, how much it works in your favor.

It takes a few mind-resets to get there, we all know that, we have all been thru this initial WTF is it doing thing, haha.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

On The right off the AP channels buttons, there are two switches where another is about heading and altitude for autopilot. Manual page no: 2-68

That with combination from the collective mode, can make your helicopter to turn a direction of waypoint, or direction of the trimmed heading, target etc. Ó

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Hey! Wow! Thanks! I went to the ka-50 special settings for the first time and the rudder trim was unchecked (already). So I checked it and now its all good! No wonder trimming didnt stop the spin :D. And Yes, Im using at least the two autopilots all the time and yaw when I wanted to stop the spin. Im yet to figure out how to use yaw full time without it interfering my heading to wherever it thinks its locked to :)

Thank you!

You're welcome :)

You should be trimming all the time. Hold trim whenever you turn, then release once you have your new heading. That way you arent fighting it.

I dont use rudder trim, the real plane doesnt have it. You shouldnt ever really have to trim the rudder unless its very windy.

The yaw dampener will take care of any spinning in a hover and keep you flying straight.

The only time I turn the yaw dampener off is if I am about to die from a missile and I need 1000% control right now to do evasive maneuvers, or sometimes for landing/taxiing in a tight spot.

Edited by canox204

X52

Another tip...

You generally want the Altitude channel OFF. If you're trying to do slow approach with terrain following then you'll need it on... but generally you want alt hold off because it will kill you via tip touching.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)