Ground units wish list

Aginor

Perhaps this should be in the CA section, but I actually think it fits better in here, because it isn't only for CA but for the whole DCSW.

IMO we are in desperate need of some ground units. Not even that many, but some important ones. Bear with me a moment while I explain why I think they are important for DCSW gameplay:

Concerning air defenses there is a "gap" at the moment that doesn't exist in real life.

We have very deadly threats for everything flying below ~15,000ft. Shilkas and small guns, MANPADS, bigger IR SAMs like the Strela, and small radar-guided SAMS like the Tunguska.

Then we have high-tech SAMs that can hit targets at almost any altitude, and you need SEAD to defeat them. In real life many countries either don't have those at all, or not many of them.

When flying the DCS A-10C for example there are two tactics (provided weather is good). If there are Radar SAMs, wait for the SEAD. If there are no radar SAMs, fly cirlces at 15,000ft. and bomb the living hell out of everything on the ground.

DCSW lacks anti-aircraft systems for medium altitude, that are not high-tech. When reading books by pilots, regardless of the era they describe, there are always threats described that force you to jink around, but can still be defeated by fighter pilots without having to rely on dedicated SEAD packages.

SA-75 / HQ-2 (SA-2 Guideline)

We don't have a high altitude capable missile of low quality in the game right now. The SAMs we have are either harmless for an A-10C (IR SAMs don't hit you above 15,000ft. and you can circle and drop JDAMs on them all day), or very dangerous (all the modern radar guided SAMs).

IMO the SA-2 would be a perfect addition to the mission editor, a SAM that could be used by rather "low-tech" enemies.

It could also be very useful when creating missions for the Vietnam-era, obviously. Maybe we will have that some day.

The SA-2 was still used during the gulf war, so it is not even that long out of service.

The Chinese built a missile called HQ-2, which is basically the same, just a bit improved. So if ED (or a third party, I don't care) builds an SA-2, they just have to copy it, rename it, and tweak the flight model so it has twice the range. Then we have two new SAMs that are not too powerful, but still dangerous enough so you cannot ignore them.

FlaK / flak guns

First of all: Yes I know it shouldn't be called "flak gun" since the abbreviation "FlaK" already contains the K for "Kanone". But the English speaking guys call those guns like that, so I'll do that as well.

To be precise this paragraph is about the bigger guns that can reach targets flying at higher altitudes, and use ammo with airburst fuses.

Examples:

- the 37mm M1929 (61-K) gun, a Russian-built gun from WW2 that was still used in Vietnam

- the 100mm KS19 gun, also a Russian one

- the 57mm AZP S-60 gun, another Russian one, still used today.

- the M-51 Skysweeper (I just wanted to mention one that wasn't Russian-built)

All those guns represent a serious threat to airplanes flying below 25,000ft., but can be defeated by just jinking around. They can be pretty deadly when guided optically or by radar (even the old German "acht-acht" guns from the 1940's were used with guidance systems), or they can just fire a barrage (that was done in Baghdad 1990 for example).

When used by mission designers it would force A-10C pilots and others to jink around, get the guns first, and move out of their comfort zone.

TL;DR:

We need flaK, and low-tech SAMs

Thanks for reading. :)

Edited by Aginor

totally agree. It would also make flying the Huey and Hip much more interesting since if you dont want to be made into swiss cheese your limited to engaging groups of unarmed units which are not defended by any AAA whatsoever. The Zu-23 is just to powerful, rapid fire rate and accurate to be anywhere near.

I also think your choices are exactly right.

+1

Edited by HOKUM52

Another ground unit I'd like to see is a Qassam rocket launcher, or something similar.

It would work like a mortar, but fires missiles.

In other words: Take a Grad BM-21 rocket, make it a bit smaller, lessen its accuracy, and instead of firing lots of them just fire one missile every 2 minutes for half an hour. The model would be pretty simple.

That would be a nice ground unit for counter insurgency missions.

Aginor, you read my mind a few weeks ago. I came onto this forum to post exactly what you said. Suggest S-60 and KS-19 medium/ heavy AAA with optional Firecan or Flap Wheel radars.

SA-2/ HQII would be my next radar SAM request. Its like an SA-11 buk that you have much better hopes of defeating.

Speaking of 3D models:

I tried some stuff in the ME lately, and a few models of ground units looked really bad. I'm not sure which ones, but I remember being shocked by the lack of quality, it was almost like looking at a Falcon 4.0 unit.

Does anyone remember a particular bad one? Perhaps we can even help ED and provide free and legal replacement models that look better and don't have too many polies so the FPS stay good.

totally agree. It would also make flying the Huey and Hip much more interesting since if you dont want to be made into swiss cheese your limited to engaging groups of unarmed units which are not defended by any AAA whatsoever. The Zu-23 is just to powerful, rapid fire rate and accurate to be anywhere near.

I also think your choices are exactly right.

+1

We need tripod mounted .30 PKM/M60 and .50 M2/NSV.

Also, same guns mounted on soft skin 4x4 trucks.