F-14B HUD&PTD QUESTION

Lunatica

According to Cobra we're getting an early to mid 90s F-14B. If what I've gleaned from my, admittedly brief, research is correct, the first F-14Bs didn't fly with the Sparrowhawk until 1999, which seemingly would be outside that timeframe.

LANTIRN is very likely given the timeframe, but has not been confirmed. LANTIRN 40k is at the outside edge of the potential timeframe, but again is a possibility. I wouldn't expect any confirmations about sensor systems for a good few months at minimum.

Edited by Tirak

According to Cobra we're getting an early to mid 90s F-14B. If what I've gleaned from my, admittedly brief, research is correct, the first F-14Bs didn't fly with the Sparrowhawk until 1999, which seemingly would be outside that timeframe.

The first ones were installed as early as 1999 perhaps for testing, but it took several more years for all the issues to be ironed out it seems.

http://www.aviationtoday.com/av/military/New-HUD-for-the-Tomcat_1157.html#.VYVOXfmqqko

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

The first ones were installed as early as 1999 perhaps for testing, but it took several more years for all the issues to be ironed out it seems.

http://www.aviationtoday.com/av/military/New-HUD-for-the-Tomcat_1157.html#.VYVOXfmqqko

Dudikoff is right, the Sparrowhawk wasn't really deployed till ~2002.

The last F-14 that I saw "in the wild" - as in an operational F-14, was a VF-32 F-14B at an airshow in 2003. At that time, the pilot commented that they had just received the HUD and really liked it for A-G deployment. So given the timeframe for the LNS F-14B, it will be the standard HUD.

The HUD is less useful than most HUDs that were still in service in the 1990s, but on the bright side, the essential flying instruments (airspeed, AOA, and altitude) sit at the top of the panel and are easy to see with a reasonable field of view (excluding serious zoom for moderate range gun kills, for example). Compared to the the F-15C where the AOA gauge is buried in the cockpit (except during Nav mode for the HUD).

-Nick

• 4 years later...
Holy necro batman

LoL

Was the HUD installed separate from the rest of the upgrade? If so, it would seem an easy variation that adds a bunch of convenience. If not, and only coupled with avionics, etc , it would be tied to a hypothetical D update/module.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

What about the F-14D? ;)

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2