[NOT A BUG] Anti-icing light off in manual mode

GeorgeLKMT

BUG?: The snowflake symbol on the caution and advisory lights panel should light up when the anti-icing system is put into manual mode.

The portion of the manual describing the system talks only about the green light under it, but there's also:

Snowflake symbol

Icing conditions have been detected by the icing sensor, or the system has been activated manually.

• 1 month later...

Was flying at 25000ft over NTTR last night and the light came on as well.

Turned on the Pitot heat, but otherwise did not notice any change in engine behavior or flying characteristics.

Probably something to look at?

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

It was my understanding that the "snowfake" light just advises that icing conditions exist and then the light below that comes on once the anti-icing system activates. Just from memory though. I haven't double checked at this stage.

Correct, but I'm talking about manual mode and even included a quote from the manual where it's mentioned (118).

Edited by GeorgeLKMT

• 3 weeks later...

IIRC I had a frozen pitot (lost IAS) after a 4am Maykop-Khanskaya take off where I didn't set pitot heating as I thought the auto-deice would take care of the pitots as well the engine manifold intake.

IAS quickly returned once I turned on the pitot heating

Temp was about 1°C and dewpoint -3°C with rain and a 1000m cloud base. Weather was based off RL METAR data from Oct/Nov but I reduced the 10m/s crosswind to make the L-39C's taxi easier.

I think this video shows the intake anti-icing valve/ducting at 1m42s and 4m29s

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 1 year later...

I was told that the simulated behavior is in accordance with Russian flight manuals.

As far as I understand it, from looking at the attached circuit diagrams, the Snowflake symbol is controlled by the R2 relay only and can't be enabled by the "Manual" switch. It may be an error in non-Russian -1's or simply modified wiring.

Please let me know if you think my interpretation of the circuit diagrams is wrong.

AntIce1.thumb.JPG.bbc76e1f77c502853e28b397730ca47b.JPG

AntIce2.thumb.JPG.5308f71adba66e01cb8a2ce9b001584d.JPG

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

It might as well be different wiring, especially if those russian diagrams are older than 2000, which is the date of the manual that says it should be ON in manual mode. I don't have any drawings of that system myself, so I would need to ask around to know any better.

Edited by GeorgeLKMT