Twitch2DCS - Simple twitch chat UI inside DCS

Greetings,

As promised I wanted to give everyone access to a mod I made to make my VR streaming life easier.

Description

Twitch2DCS was primarily created so that DCS World streamers who played in VR could interact with Twitch chat without the need to take the HMD off, or have Twitch chat hooked up to a text-to-speech engine. By allowing the chat to be visible within DCS the immersion of the game does not have to be broken, and VR streamers can still interact with the audience. Twitch2DCS is not restricted to VR users, it will work for single monitor and surround setups.

Current Features

• Separate in-game chat window (similar to multiplayer chat)
  • Easily installed to Saved Games directory
  • In-game twitch chat communicate both read and write
  • Join/Part messages
  • Customizable hotkey
  • Not dependent on mission start. The UI exists in every aspect of DCS (Main Menu, Config, Mission Editor, In-Mission) allowing you to always be connected to your twitch audience.
  • Random colors assigned to each user in chat (simular to twitch)
  • Colors are customizable in Config/Twitch2DCSConfig.lua
  • Ability to use Multiplayer chat instead of Twitch chat. Using Multiplayer chat will only allow you to see twitch chat during multiplayer games.
  • Viewer count based on how many users have joined or spoke in chat.

Installation

Upgrade

1. Get the latest version of Twitch2DCS from here. Make sure you download the "Upgrade" package.
  2. Extract the zip to your Saved Games DCS folder (C:\Users\ username \Saved Games\DCS)
  3. Launch DCS and enjoy communicating with Twitch from ingame.

New Installation

1. Get the latest version of Twitch2DCS from here. Make sure you download the "New Installation" package.
  2. Extract the zip to your Saved Games DCS folder (C:\Users\ username \Saved Games\DCS)
  3. Open the file Twitch2DCSConfig.lua in the Config folder with your favorite text editor.
  4. Add your Twitch username
  5. Add your Twitch oauth key from TwitchApps.com make sure you include the "oauth:" text
  6. Example of what the config should look like (Edits are in red):
    config = 
    {
    ["username"] = "[b][color="Red"]jabbers[/color][/b]", -- Your twitch username
    ["oathToken"] = "[b][color="red"]oauth:1K5JHN849HNVQA59[/color][/b]", -- Go to https://twitchapps.com/tmi/ connect your account and generate a key. Copy paste the full value including the "oauth:" example: "oauth:2mwce4mdsgasddg3ml99k3phwa9l7"
    ["useMutiplayerChat"] = false, -- Please be aware that twitch chat will only work in muliplayer.[/Code]

7. Launch DCS and enjoy communicating with Twitch from ingame.

[b]Ingame Images[/b]

Read mode:

eGTHp5F.png

Write mode:

2M2huUH.png

Ingame VR screenshot:

3WJl4Kc.jpg

Please report any bugs, issues or feature suggestions here https://github.com/jeffboulanger/twitch2dcs/issues

This is currently in its infancy and an alpha, so it may have issues.

Edited by Jabbers_
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Version 0.0.2-alpha released https://github.com/jeffboulanger/twitch2dcs/releases

New Features

• Random colors assigned to each user in chat (simular to twitch)
  • Colors are customizable in Config/Twitch2DCSConfig.lua
  • Ability to use Multiplayer chat instead of Twitch chat. Using Multiplayer chat will only allow you to see twitch chat during multiplayer games.

Installation

Upgrade

1. Get the latest version of Twitch2DCS from here. Make sure you download the "Upgrade" package.

New Installation

1. Get the latest version of Twitch2DCS from here. Make sure you download the "New Installation" package.
  3. Open the file Twitch2DCSConfig.lua in the Config folder with your favorite text editor.
  5. Add your Twitch oauth key from TwitchApps.com make sure you include the "oauth:" text
  6. Launch DCS and enjoy communicating with Twitch from ingame.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

Please make one for youtube live also! Great work :)

Hmm, I can possibly do that. Would have to look at their API and see how complex it is. Give me some time, this wont be a huge priority for me unfortunately but I will definately evaluate it's difficulty

Hmm, I can possibly do that. Would have to look at their API and see how complex it is. Give me some time, this wont be a huge priority for me unfortunately but I will definately evaluate it's difficulty

youtube.liveChatMessages.delete Deletes a chat message.

youtube.liveChatMessages.insert Adds a message to a live chat.

youtube.liveChatMessages.list Lists live chat messages for a specific chat.

https://developers.google.com/apis-explorer/#p/youtube/v3/

and: https://github.com/youtube

Edited by HiJack

youtube.liveChatMessages.delete Deletes a chat message.

youtube.liveChatMessages.insert Adds a message to a live chat.

youtube.liveChatMessages.list Lists live chat messages for a specific chat.

https://developers.google.com/apis-explorer/#p/youtube/v3/

and: https://github.com/youtube

Yup already created a bug with that information. Im in the process of refactoring all of this now so adding this is less trivial. Right now I just create a TCP connection to twitch's irc backend and wait for messages in realtime. Youtube on the other hand is a web api, which means i have to make requests. The downside to that is requests can take time to process I would need to make the request and receive the response within a frame call. Doing this the wrong way is going to really destroy framerate. So i need to give it some thought, or find someone whos done something simular in DCS.

Version 0.0.3-alpha released https://github.com/jeffboulanger/twitch2dcs/releases

Features and Fixes

• Viewer count now shows at all times
  • User chat color is now sequential instead of random

Installation

Upgrade

New Installation

Version 0.0.4-alpha released https://github.com/jeffboulanger/twitch2dcs/releases

Features and Fixes

• Fixed a bug caused by the latest DCS update that caused major frame drops
  • Fixed random colors again
  • Fixed viewer count

Installation

Upgrade

New Installation

Thanks! Yeah as soon as I made this I realized the potential for SRS and created a issue on Ciribobs github :). I was pretty amazed that no one else had done any custom UI stuff with dcs

Awesome work. Does this work for arbitrary chat clients (discord, IRC, etc?), or is something intrinsic to the twitch API that allows you to do this?

Twitch is basically a IRC backend, so it should work for anything with the same backend. I have not implemented all the commands, just JOIN/PART/PRIVMSG, so anything else would need to be coded.

Version 0.0.5-alpha released https://github.com/jeffboulanger/twitch2dcs/releases

Features and Fixes

• More changes to user color
  • Fixed viewer count, for real this time

Installation

Upgrade

New Installation

Hey mate im seeing the twitch chat box in game but no messages are coming through

Can you send me the logs from both dcs.log and twitch2dcs.log (if it exists)? The should both be located in Saved Games\DCS\Logs. Also what version are you using? I just released a new on last night. Additionally, what client version. I believe this only currently works on the latest 1.5 client code. ED made some changes that I do not believe are backward compatible for UI stuff.

Just checked the twitch2dcslog and it says [14:55:41] WARN : Unable to login, please add your twitch username and oauth key to Config/Twitch2DCSConfig.lua

But I did add my stuff in the [" "] area where it says username and oauth key or did I do it in the wrong place

Edited by FraserNZL

Just checked the twitch2dcslog and it says [14:55:41] WARN : Unable to login, please add your twitch username and oauth key to Config/Twitch2DCSConfig.lua

But I did add my stuff in the [" "] area where it says username and oauth key or did I do it in the wrong place

Did you add it to Saved Games/DCS/Config/Twitch2DCSConfig.lua?

It should look like this

config = 
{    
   ["username"] = "[b]jabbers[/b]",  -- Your twitch username
   ["oathToken"] = "[b]oauth:12345sasdwerrr[/b]", -- Go to https://twitchapps.com/tmi/ connect your account and generate a key. Copy paste the full value including the "oauth:" example: "oauth:2mwce4mdsgasddg3ml99k3phwa9l7"
   ["useMutiplayerChat"] = false,  -- Please be aware that twitch chat will only work in muliplayer.  

In the future I'm planning on making a first time setup step when you start DCS, but need to wrap my head around a few things with DCS UI first.

Hopefully the above example gives you an idea of how it should look, and its just typed in incorrectly.

Awesome, I looked at doing this a while back but it was beyond me not being able to code or work with lua, knew it was possible though, thanks so much you made my day :D

The FALSE is real, but it's not THRUTH right?

Intel i7 8700K OC4.4GHz | 16GB | GTX1080Ti | Logitech G940 | TrackIR5 |

Awesome' date=' I looked at doing this a while back but it was beyond me not being able to code or work with lua, knew it was possible though, thanks so much you made my day :D[/quote']

Thanks!

Hey Jabbers

Could you update your instructions to stress NO CAPS in twitch username.

might save people some time and head scratching getting it to work correctly, caps in the username gives unpredictable results, works a treat all lower case.

Thanks once again for an awesome mod.

The FALSE is real, but it's not THRUTH right?

Intel i7 8700K OC4.4GHz | 16GB | GTX1080Ti | Logitech G940 | TrackIR5 |

Hey Jabbers

Could you update your instructions to stress NO CAPS in twitch username.

might save people some time and head scratching getting it to work correctly, caps in the username gives unpredictable results, works a treat all lower case.

Thanks once again for an awesome mod.

Ya found that out the other day and fixed it, just need to do a release. Thanks though.

Version 0.0.6-alpha released https://github.com/jeffboulanger/twitch2dcs/releases

Features and Fixes

• Fixed a bug with username casing. Twitch2DCS will always use a lower case username to login with.

Edited by Jabbers_