F-14B RWR doesn't detect MiG-31 R-33 (SARH) launch

umkhunto

I think I've encountered a bug in the Tomcat, where the MiG-31 doesn't give a launch warning for the R-33, which it is supposed to. I tested it with several playable modules, where it worked as it should. Included is a link to a video showing the behavior and attached is the mission file.

31test.miz

Edited by umkhunto

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you have a source for that? Because all information I found(both in english and in russian) state that the R-33 is INS+SARH. ARH was considered during development but was dropped in favor of a cheaper SARH system.

The RWR behaviour is indeed stange. Sometimes you get a launch warning and sometimes only a lock warning despite a missle inflight towards you. Sometimes I only got 31 ticks on the RWR, despite the missile still tracking me.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

FYI, this is appears to be an issue with all semi-actives. R-27s have been doing this for 2 patches now.

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

• 1 month later...

This issue occurred again today and doesn't appear to be fixed. Just got shot down without any RWR warning. The whole time I was only spiked by the Mig-31. Curiously enough, the radar did show something incoming...perhaps TWS actually picked up the missile, but I died shortly thereafter.

This is not an F-14 specific issue. II've had this with a lot of other modules (F-15, F-5, F-16, Su-27, Su-33...) for more than 2 years now, even filed bug reports about it in the past but no dice.

I think it has something to do with the fact that that the R-33 is supposedly SARH with ARH terminal homing, but supported by a PESA radar on the MiG-31.

PESA should have reduced emissions compared to mechanical radars, but still generate all of the familiar warnings.

There's some major jankiness in how this is simulated somewhere, resulting in missing RWR warnings.