process for engaging hind/apache with cannon?

dooom

I think its this: Please advise,

1 lock from max range for a "tA"

2 get speed, arm weapons and cannon. Fix to schkval.

3 at max cannon range open up as ka50 cannon range is larger?

4 does laser have to be on for cannon rounds to track?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

I do not know what you mean by "fix to Shkval."

The 2A42 has a "3000m effective against air targets" and the 30mm on the AH-64A has "1500m effective, 4500m max" so I think the 2A42 is a bit better.

Laser is used for ranging so it's a good idea for it to be standby when engaging A-A cannon. It's not on 100% of the time, just in short pulses when commanded to get range. If the laser is off the cannon assumes some default range which I forget. Bullets do not track ^.^

- Select "AA" and "AA/HO" targeting modes.

- Laser must be on, as range affects the ballistic offset for the cannon.

- Don't expect your rounds to hit if they are anything but head on untill they get within 1.5 - 2 km's

Doesn't AA and AA/HO only affect the detonation range of the Vikhrs?

Do note that if your laser is on you will warn them of your presence the moment you lock them. So don't lase until you are reasonably sure that you would have an immediate firing solution.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

- Laser On;

- Airborne target and Head-on airborne target buttons pressed on the combat system control panel (on your left);

- cannon slaved to Shkval;

- Lock it up, I suggest minimal size of the tracking gate- if he's beaming you you mind have hard times puting the whole gate on him, so the smaller it is the greater are the chances of snap lock even of his rotor tip;

- once shoot autorization appears - open fire. Your cannon outranges both the AH-64 cannon and Mi-24 machine gun. Of course, from 4km in maneuvering you can't expect to hit anything but if he's also engaging you it might work. It doesn't take too many rounds to down those aircraft.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

You think low or high rate of fire? Long, med, or short burst?

Also any chance that the Skhval gate size be changed in the game so min gate size isn't the "king of all situations" it is now? I would guess that making the gates too small for the target would make the optical system have a hard time getting a lock. Right now it is impossible to lock when the gates are 1% too big but at 10% target size it's a sure thing which means most people set the gates and min and forget it.

Yes, when engaging A2A with cannon you are better to select moving target(N). AA/AAHO is only for the proximity fusing of the vikhr.

I second that. If you read the manual, you'll notice that is says that GMT mode makes the gun LEAD targets. It doesn't matter if that target is on the ground or in the air. I've tested this many, many times, and it works quite nicely.

arrogant, realism-obsessed Falcon 4 junkie

OK... I tested and this seems to work based on advice above - someone please correct me if i am still wrong.

1. Engage with cannon... You have the benefit of range and not wasting Vihkr.

2. Minimize the tracking gate.

3. lock for "tA"

4. Cannon slaved to schkval

5. laser on

6. Grnd moving tgt selected.

7. Fire at "C" authorization.

I like this because it works well and I can keep moving... with the vihkr tactic i tend to have to be stationary and had trouble in my evasives should by initial attack fail.

With cannon, i lock on and continue my flight toward the enemy hind/ apache until max cannon range and fire away multiple times until i take them down.

So now the question is... should i go in high or nap of the earth?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

So now the question is... should i go in high or nap of the earth?

If nothing else comes into play, high, as it will seriously hinder your oponents ability to fire back at you with his cannon (the fuselage blocks the cannon).

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

.....I like this because it works well and I can keep moving... with the vihkr tactic i tend to have to be stationary and had trouble in my evasives should by initial attack fail...

Another take on the Vikhr approach is as follows:

ID Targets and Engage - Laser On, A/A and Auto Turn selected, WCS switch to manual and Master Arm On. Slave HMS to Target and Set Tracking Gate to Minimum.

Now, once the Helo's are about 14 clicks out, BRIEFLY LOCK and then immediately unlock target. Reason for this is that it enables the Tracking of the Targets without the Laser Lock and attendant warning.

Now that the Gate is tracking, select Vikhrs and wait........When Helo's are about 8.5km out, fire first Vihkr. Remember that the Target is not locked - Splash One - Does not know what hit him...........:music_whistling:

Slew to second Helo and repeat - Splashed at about 7km's out, giving you more than enough time and Stand-Off range to Stay well clear of the HZ and Bug out if things turn Pear-Shaped.

[ATTACH]33477[/ATTACH]

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Another take on the Vikhr approach is as follows:

ID Targets and Engage - Laser On, A/A and Auto Turn selected, WCS switch to manual and Master Arm On. Slave HMS to Target and Set Tracking Gate to Minimum.

Now, once the Helo's are about 14 clicks out, BRIEFLY LOCK and then immediately unlock target. Reason for this is that it enables the Tracking of the Targets without the Laser Lock and attendant warning.

Now that the Gate is tracking, select Vikhrs and wait........When Helo's are about 8.5km out, fire first Vihkr. Remember that the Target is not locked - Splash One - Does not know what hit him...........:music_whistling:

Slew to second Helo and repeat - Splashed at about 7km's out, giving you more than enough time and Stand-Off range to Stay well clear of the HZ and Bug out if things turn Pear-Shaped.

[ATTACH]33477[/ATTACH]

hmmm ^^^ i just watched that track and am confused.. :)

seems you were staring at a zoomed in schkval which was scrolling abound on blank grond and then promptly pitched forward and dove to your death.

Am i missing something:music_whistling:

Am i missing something:music_whistling:

I'd Say :D

Which version are you patched to? Seems to be an irregularity in the Track Playback somehow.

Could anybody else confirm whether they are experiencing the same error. Have watched it back on my PC and all is well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i am on 1.01b... pretty sure i didnt patch to 1.01c as i have had no problems with online play.

do i have to hit esc - control so i can control views?

i just watched again and cannot see whatyou are doing in the trk... only know after death that you fired two vihkr

i just watched again and cannot see whatyou are doing in the trk...

Try this version - Same Mission/Different Track.

http://www.2shared.com/file/9213508/d47d1778/MI-282A.html

Alternate Link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/307988721/MI-282A.trk.html

Edited by 159th_Viper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

very odd... i downloaded the mission trk from the top link (the bottom requires a premuim account).

this time it allowed me to look around the cockpit with my trackir but the mission itself was very strange.

you seem to select laser/aa/uncage schkval/

fly in a gentle right turn towards an airfield. launch 2 vihkr into the ground (schkval is pointing at the ground)

then you turn left, go into a 90 degrees dive towards the ground and crahs in the trees.

assuming you have the right trk uploaded, there seems to be some disconnect in my trying to view your track properly.

At Wit's End, unfortunately......:)

If you are interested, then just duplicate what I said in the earlier post - the track just basically illustrates the wording of the Post iro Aerial Vikhr Engagements at RMAX and Beyond.

Anybody else had success in viewing the tracks or is my system wonky?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

mind if i ask what process you used to view the tracks?

I:

download track

boot DCS

click replay

browse to track

click it - use trackir to look around and view what he is doing.

what patch version are you?