Strapping a Monitor to a Helmet for Immersion

Ok here goes: I had a wild idea today to take my motorcycle helmet and build a bracket so my 23" flat screen could attach to it. This way when I look around, I always see the image. I taped my trackIR clip to the front. I fired up Blackshark and couldn't play more then 3-4 minutes without getting sick to my stomach!!

Has anyone else tried anything like this?? I would like to have a helmet or VR glasses that done this but I can't find a commercial one with a decent resolution....

Update: 11/8/11

VIDEO HERE:

Edited by walker450
  • Like 2

Ok here goes: I had a wild idea today to take my motorcycle helmet and build a bracket so my 23" flat screen could attach to it.

Please take some pictures next time!:D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Nice work,

This would be even better though, shame about the price but if you combine this with trackir you would get the ultimate simming experience: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/09/hands-on-sonys-hmz-t1-is-an-amazing-oled-3dtv-that-you-wear-on-your-head/

Just needs a bit higher resolution and fov and it will be perfect.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Find us at http://virtual-roulettes.forumotion.com/

I don't think 720 vertical resolution is going to come anywhere near the ultimate sim experience. :)

In order for this to work you must have enough resolution to clearly read gauges and readouts of displays in the cockpit.

I'll upload some pics of the horrendous contraption.... Give me some time.

OMG! You gotta post a video when you test this out. Just need to figure out how to get a TR working with it too. I see it back there.

Oh yeah did you feel the 5.6 EQ the other night.. my house was bouncin.

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

One more thing... You've gota give that thing a name. How about the neck snapper 2000 :thumbup:

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

To sum it up... I just think if someone can develop a helmet that gives you complete immersion, like being able to look left and right, up and down; and see nothing but the image being displayed... It would be amazingly realistic. We already have motion tracking devices such as trackIR, and full 3D clickable cockpits, and HOTAS setups that you can program way more functions that any normal person can remember.

I feel that this is the future of simming, for me.

The problem with current head-mounted-displays is that the resolution isn't high enough yet. A resolution of around 6000x1200 should provide what it would take.

I am looking forward to reading more about this.

Whatever you were smoking, I want some. That's just AWESOME! :D

Regarding feeling ill, it might also be that you end up so close to the screen that your eyes end up straining to focus. I know a lot of people experienced that with early "goggle"-type systems.

Obviously though, moving it further away would make the weight a bigger problem.

But yeah, seriously, you definitely have to make a youtube video of that. I can see that one going viral. :P (Up to you to decide if you want that kind of fame... :D )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

That is a cool idea alright. Might be pretty common in a couple of years, you never know. Might be known as the "Walker Video Headset"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

More than funny. You've had me in fits of giggles all night. :D

So awesome. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Man that's cool.. Great concept. I can't wait for a VR helmet.. Consider it sold! Did your wife video for you? If so she's cool. My wife would just rack me. F-22 and F-35 helmets can visually target through the airplane. HUD helmets

Side note: I was in the tube giving my 1 year old a bath when the water started rippling then the house started bouncing again. I went and bought 10 cases of water in case of a water main break. 3 days in a row of earth quakes. Crazy for ok.

Edited by TulsA-10

To sum it up... I just think if someone can develop a helmet that gives you complete immersion, like being able to look left and right, up and down; and see nothing but the image being displayed... It would be amazingly realistic. We already have motion tracking devices such as trackIR, and full 3D clickable cockpits, and HOTAS setups that you can program way more functions that any normal person can remember.

I feel that this is the future of simming, for me.

The problem with current head-mounted-displays is that the resolution isn't high enough yet. A resolution of around 6000x1200 should provide what it would take.

I am looking forward to reading more about this.

This should be more than doable with an led screen. It will happen but probably made for consoles first.