Difference between TV or Monitor for playing

Im thinking of upgrading my Monitor to at least 27 inches, but i was wondering, what is the difference now a days between a TV and a Monitor for playing? I was looking at the specifications of many TVs and some of the Led ones have refresh rates of 200hz, isnt that better than the monitors 60hz??

Thanks for the help.

Edited by rajdary

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Im not sure about the 200hz vs others but i switched from a 20 inch monitor to a 40 inch tv and ive no regrets.

It was a basic 1080p LG tv and it had loads of options for supporting pc formats without any issues. Things like full rgb, multi resolutions and super black that can be activated on the tv and in AMD drivers.

Just wish id waited for the sales as could have got a 57 inch for only £40 more lol.

Its all about economics, you get what you pay for, the more tech advanced you have eg faster frame rate etc etc , but having said that you can find good TV for good prices. I prefer one big TV rather than multi monitors (using less resolution = less resources being used), used in conjunction with Track IR the "immersion" is fantastic. I got a 42 inch LG LED/LCD and its great. Here a link to my setup.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ua75mas01uqzbw/Simpit.png

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Cool, thanks, so its probably better to get a TV then, its always going tohave the TV part as an extra, and price wise you get more inches for the same cash? Unless i am missing some advantage that monitors have. In refresh rates max is 120hz and those are much more expensive.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

I play on 42" LG tv. I like it a lot more than on a monitor.

You will get a 60hz refresh rate, you will not get 200Hz. That's all marketing stuff based around post processing that goes on in the TV. It doesn't have anything to do with how many frames you can send to the TV from the computer.

I do have nice Full HD 55" TV, but there is no way to use it for simming - you know, family room ... wife, small kid running around smashing stuff, etc ... :D

I've tried it couple of times and it's great, however, if you want the same perceived resolution as your desktop monitor which is the same resolution, much smaller and viewed from the arms length distance, you have to sit couple of meters or more away which negates size difference - otherwise you see the pixels and the picture gets grainy.

4K, large format TV's are probably the ultimate single (or any number, for that matter) display solution for our purpose, if the PC (wallet) can handle it.

Edited by danilop

TVs and monitors are generally the same thing, they both are used to display images from a connected device. Every display has certain specs, and TVs tend to lean towards having more in some areas, and monitors in others. Here's a general guide to help.

Size: Generally, a TV is going to be bigger than a monitor at the same price.

Inputs: How you plug in your device, most displays have multiple inputs. A TV usually has more inputs and more types than a monitor. For example my monitor has an HDMI, VGA, and DVI port(3 total). My TV has 2 HDMI, DVI, VGA, 2 sets of RCA ports(6 total).

Resolution: The number of pixels on the screen. Monitors generally lean towards, or at least used to lean towards, having a higher res than TVs. However right now we're kind of stuck at 1080p for everything.

Pixel Density: Correlates to screen size and resolution, how tight the pixels are packed together. The closer/smaller they are, the sharper the image. Monitors usually win in this area since they have the same or higher resolution while being smaller.

Response time: how fast a pixel can change colors. Slow response time can make fast moving objects look weird and blurry. Monitors tend to win in this category.

Refresh Rate: How many 'pictures' a display can...display per second. For example if your computer can output DCS at 100 fps, if you have a 60hz display it can only display 60 if the 100 frames. Monitors tend to have more options for higher refresh rates.

I just upgraded to a 55" LG @ 1920x1080 from a 37" Aquos @ 1280x768 and the difference is stunning. I can't imagine what DCS would look like on a 4K but I can wait a few years for the price to drop.

If you imagine your TV as a window into your aircraft world, having a larger window, even with low resolution, means your perspective will be correct. I think for most computers and TV's out now, HDMI isn't a problem. On my 37" aquos it was only 720p so HDMI was terrible with the computer display.

I have been running DCS on a 42 inch full HD TV...

IMO, if you are going to stick to 1080P, do not go for more than 46 inch... or else you will either see some very grainy picture, or will be too far away from the screen. 4K TV is another story, which I have no experience...

Next time when I upgrade the display, I hope some personal 3D viewer, such as the one produced by sony or Oculus Rift,will be mature enough and more cost-effective...

I can't imagine what DCS would look like on a 4K but I can wait a few years for the price to drop.

Imagine no longer -- I've already posted screenshots of DCS running on my 4K TV! :)

I swapped out a 4-screen, T-shaped setup for my current single 55" 4K TV and couldn't be happier. I should note that I bought the absolute cheapest 4K line I could find (Seiki) and it has the limitation, which is a deal-breaker for many, of being limited to 30Hz refresh rate. I generally see 25-70 FPS in DCS, and at least for me, the 30Hz is really not a problem. Sure I'd love to have 60 or 120Hz, but for a quarter of the price of higher-end 4K TV, I can deal with 30.

It really is amazing to see the entire cockpit fit on a single screen but with everything still legible due to the much higher detail possible. I'd wholeheartedly recommend moving to a 4K, if anyone's considering it.

Yeah, I've seen those screenshots but looking at screenshots on a different resolution monitor really doesn't show you the real thing.

As for Blackbelters comment. I run 1920x1080 on a 55" LG and I think it looks just fine. I mean, it is...after all a computer game.

Oh, and I saw Sony's Personal 3d viewer today and was anything but impressed. I was expecting to put on the glasses and see an 80" screen, instead I found myself straining to make out the menu's of the ps3 that was plugged into it. It just looked like a regular medium size tv in a dark room.

Edited by docfu

So 40" tv will be probably the same price as 27" monitor, i think ill go for the 40"tv.

Thanks to all