X-55 Rhino Hotas Issues and Problems

Glad you fixed your stubborn issue!

That's a weird behavior though. From what I know, not handling multiple periods in filenames properly is a bug.

I'll try to rename the file and switch between my profiles. I'll report back if it fixes my nasty BSOD.

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having used the x55 for roughly 6 months, doing my own stick extension out of brass tube, making the twist axis a switch and adding a switch to the left side of the stick that connects to twist axis. Setup as bands.

I'm getting somewhat pleased with it.

I still have a few things I need to fix.

The mouse nipple sucks, I will replace it with a PSP thumbstick if I can, 5 axis buttons if I can't.

It really needs some kind of filtering in the axis, they are jumpy when viewed in DIView, I suspect the pots in the throttle are inferior, might go to a Hall setup or try a cap in between input and

I only experience BSOD if I setup a command that is latched and try to test it in the HUD software.

I have acquired a 3d Printer, so I might try remaking some of the buttons on the throttle and maybe the POV.

Anything with a Rotary Wing is fun and challenging.

Use SRS radio.

Saitek X55 Modding

System Specs

Mixed Metals: i7 4790K@4.6, 32GB Kingston HyperX ram@2400Mhz, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, ASUS Vega 64, 3xSamsung SSD drives, FSP Aurum 1000W PSU, Custom watercooling with EK blocks, Vive, Virpil MT 50, X55 throttle.

• 3 weeks later...

So far I haven't had any problems using the Saitek X55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S but from today every time when I want to test profile in H.U.D software BSOD happens to me. The cause is SaiKa215.sys driver. So far I have used X55_Rhino_7_0_32_81_x64_Drivers, but when restarts started to have happened, I updated drivers to the latest version X55_Rhino_7_0_41_10_x64_Drivers. This of course wasn't fix the problem.

In addition I noticed software HUD doesn't load properly commands. When I change mod, so that's why I wanted to test the profiles. See attached picture.

With every change of position MODE switches (M1, M2, M3) HUD load the nonexistent command (as eg. Alt 3; Alt = 4; -Alt-3;) My OS is Win7x64 and X55 attached directly to MB USB2 ports.

I ordered a powered external USB hub, so we'll see will that solve the problems. If I knew it would be such a problem with X55 I'd bought X52 Pro.

X-55.jpg.429bddf796dbbd078ac631ed4d1796e1.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Everything is possible ...

Don't forget to submit a ticket to MadCatz about your issue.

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

I hope you'll be more fortunate than me then ;)

I submitted my ticket in december (the 15th) and the support only asked for some additional information since (back in december).

Also, thanks to the X-55 driver/software, the BSOD occured at Windows startup a few times (SaiKa215.sys involved).

I'm starting to think the X-55 is jealous of my other devices :doh:

Edited by Bourrinopathe

On Windows 7 (via Bootcamp), I get a BSOD on start-up if my throttle is in anything but the 0 position. As such, I have to make sure that the throttle is back to 0 from before until startup completes. Then it is all OK. Took me quite a bit of fiddling to figure this out!

EDIT: to clarify, by "startup" I mean Windows boot, not DCS.

Edited by Bearfoot

Ah thanks. I'll give it a shot.

My throttle is usually at 100% because it's also my headset stand with the dust cover on.

Tricky though.

Edited by Bourrinopathe

I hope you'll be more fortunate than me then ;)

I submitted my ticket in december (the 15th) and the support only asked for some additional information since (back in december).

Also, thanks to the X-55 driver/software, the BSOD occured at Windows startup a few times (SaiKa215.sys involved).

I'm starting to think the X-55 is jealous of my other devices :doh:

G'day Bourrinopathe,

It sounds like you might have an issue I battled with for a few weeks late last year. I had a Sai????.sys driver go AWOL on me. (Can't remember just yet which .sys one it was, one of about 8, I will look up my unresolved emails with MadCatz Customer Technical Service Support.) You will not fix it by uninstalling and reinstalling the Saitek software. (Worth a try though). The .sys drivers are added to the registry on the very first install, until you flush them out completely, and I mean completely, you cannot do a successful re-install. An uninstall did not work but you can try. Can you post what the BSOD is reporting please as this will confirm the issue.

I was going to record the steps and post them back when I had the trouble but looks like I might relay the process here? MadCatz were never ever going to resolve my problem...

To be sure do you have the SaiKa215.sys in your Windows\System32 directory?

Also could you go to the properties of both X-55 devices in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers and post what entries are listed there under the hardware tab. Should be six entries in both.

I bet you don't see a Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino Throttle (HID) entry...

(I've found my ticket and it was 18/04/2015 with Jared.)

Edited by BrassEm
Found ticket.

No idea what goes wrong but almost every time I have this one:

iEvNDxP.jpg

SaiKa215.sys and its buddies are in Windows\System32\drivers.

I just reproduced that BSOD and I tried to start my OS with the throttle unplugged. I plugged it back in, and it does not crash when I switch profiles back and forth that way, but it crashes if I turn the Modes selector switch.

If the throttle is connected before start-up, it crashes when I switch from a custom profile to another one.

I even tried to switch back to the default and notably basic profile before selecting another custom profile but it does not trick the beast.

For now, the best way to change profile is to get out of the cockpit, go get a drink while it's rebooting, and then hop into the new aircraft with the fresh profile ready to kick-in. Much more realistic. That must be a feature, not a bug. :thumbup: Saitek

(I had no issue with W8.1 and the previous non-64bit W10 beta drivers)

Edited by Bourrinopathe
Moar BSOD

If you can get it to work with other setups then that means the hardware is not scrambling its connection with the software driver causing the thread exception. It is then a software issue. Have they told you to do a re-install just in case a saiKa215.sys file is corrupted?

I am assuming that you have the base three drivers for the throttle registered to the device?

saitek_throttle_drivers.png

I have the very same thing in the throttle properties.

The current W10 64 drivers and software are the same they released as beta versions (same version numbers and sizes) (and I reinstalled both, using these "official" versions).

And unfortunately they didn't suggest anything.

As everything was ok with W8.1, I really think they have to improve the W10 versions.

X-55 Strange Behavior

Need help if someone knows this one.

I don't know if this is a bug, conflict or else with X55 + Keyboard plus DCS Game.

This is what happens in sequence:

- I start flying on DCS

- Then I need to press a command on the Keyboard (Logitech Wireless)

- The keyboard won't respond at first

- To make it work I need to change X55 Rhino to Mode 2

- Then I press the whatever on the keyboard and it works

- I go back to flying

- Now I need to press something on the keyboard again

- It won't work again

- Then in order to work I have to change X55 Rhino mode to Mode 1

- And the keyboard responds again.

And it goes on and on.

This also true for commands already mapped to throttle and Stick

- I start flying on DCS

- Then I need to press a button, let's say pinky (B) for air brake

- and it doesn't respond.. B air brake is mapped to all modes

- To make it work I need to change X55 Rhino from Mode 1 to Mode 2, or Mode 2 to 1, or 3 etc..

- Then I press pinky again and it works

- I go back to flying

- And need to press pinky again..

- and I have to go back to switching modes 1 to 2, or 3 etc..

Commands that are mapped inside DCS will remain working.

But commands mapped through X-55 profiler need the work around described above.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Does this happen on every command/key?

Are you using TeamSpeak?

Are your x55 plugged into a powered USB hub?

I also have an x55 for 2 years, and a Logitech wireless keyboard..

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

...But commands mapped through X-55 profiler need the work around described above. Any ideas?
The first idea came in my mind is that X-55 is firing constant commands (as Kobac stated) because of your rotaries.

Check two rotaries on throttle, and check two rotaries on the base. If you assigned commands on them via profiler, you may need to keep them at zero point (rotaries on the base) or the center (rotaries on throttle) when you're not playing a game.

But, if you say "no, they're working just as axis", then my idea goes garbage. :)

Edited by Devrim

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I have also written to Saitek support about problem that I have with BSOD due SaiKa215.sys drivers, so they sent yesterday to me, new drivers. I have Win7x64 but you have on this link version for 32 bit systems also, if you want to try.

Same here. The v7.0.53.6 drivers have fixed my BSoD issue for now (support sent me the same link). I didn’t test it (W10 64) thoroughly but there's no problem so far.

Better late than never…

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks for all the information on the X-55 and contribute with my problem and solution, so far! I have (as a lot of people) had some problems with my X-55 and specifically the throttle. My theory is that the software isn't great...and that the throttle need some extra power from either a USB 3 or a powered usb hub as many other already have stated :P

My computer:

AMD 8320 cpu

ASUS Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 motherboard

I haven't discovered anything new but my problems were these:

1. Ghost input activating buttons when using throttle

2. Computer freezing after disconnecting the throttle

3. Not being able to plug my X-55 in to my USB 3 ports

What I have done to fix my problems it (haven't had the possibility to test it that much so far but USB3 works and no ghosting in HUD software):

1. BIOS, went in to bios and made sure usb3 ports were active and activated EHCI (I DON'T think this changed anything actually)

2. Uninstalled everything related to the X-55 stick and throttle (Thanks to Alkaline in post #141)

3. Unplugged everything USB related in my computer and then only plugged in my X-55 stick and throttle in the USB3 ports (very important for the solution of ghosting I think). Reinstalled the Mad Catz HUD software.

4. I have now slowly started to plugg in everything else USB related making sure nothing is incompatible with the X-55 software.

5. I have still not installed the new drivers for the X-55 and only tried the X-55 in the HUD software but no ghosting so far.

Maybe this can help someone else :)

I will update as soon as I have had the chance to fly with the X-55 a bit.

Edited by Zky

It took me a little more time to realize that certain commands sent by the X55 do not work well in DCS. I programmed profile using H.U.D software. When I crashed a couple of times flying in the "Black Shark", I realized the H.U.D command-profile incorrectly sent and recognized by the simulation.

After numerous tests, I realized that H.U.D doesn't identify keys LSHIFT and RSHIFT. As you can see from the attached photo. Although command made well eg. "LSHIFT + H" test window and simulation is identified only as H. In the second picture you can see "RSHIFT" also doesn't recognize correctly, instead "RSHIFT+L" we get "SHIFT+L"

Can You solve this problem?

Regards

X-55_HUD1.jpg.463c9cbcb821d7b894cda939b555a4d3.jpg

X-55_HUD2.jpg.fff10dd349189bc4ae6827e4156c5cfe.jpg

Hi seeing your pictures, it seems you used 'add a new command' or 'new macro' instead of 'add a new keystroke' on your bindings.

Have a look at this.

HW : 4790K @4.6 / GTX 1080ti 11GB / 16 GB / Asus ROG Formula VI / Acer Predator 32" 4K Gsync / X-55 Rhino / Oculus Rift-S / TrackIR

• Combined Arms/Supercarrier/Nevada TTR/Persian Gulf/Normandy
  • F-16C/FA-18C/AV-8B Harrier/F5-TigerII/SA342-Gazelle/M2000-C/L-39 Albatros/C-101/MiG-21/F-86F Sabre/Mi-8MTV2/UH-1H Huey/A-10C Warthog/Black Shark 2/Flaming Cliff 3/Hawk T1A(RIP)
  • WWII : Spitfire/Bf-109 Kurfurst/Fw-190 Dora/P-51D Mustang

My H.U.D Test window also fails to differentiate left or right modifier keys but it sends the correct input to the sim (custom Su-27 profile).

I never had your issue with the Test window failing to report a ShiftKey input though.

I'd say it looks like a bug.

Are you using the latest versions?

I have the v7.0.41.10 software and v7.0.53.6 driver installed (Windows 10 x64).

I'm a little thought and I remembered - yesterday I installed new drivers and software for TIR. It's possible this is caused improper operation H.U.D and X55 profiler. So I uninstalled everything -H.U.D and drivers for X55, and after that re-installed the latest version v. 7.0.53.6 driver and software.

For now, everything is working properly. I'll check tonight when I turn on the TIR whether it will be all right. I hope this will help someone.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone help me, please?

I tried everything possible but i can't make it work

I want to use the rotary 1 for zoom in slow /zoom out slow

With il 2 BoS it's working but not properly.

When i use the keyboard buttons ( IL 2 BoS) for zoom in slow and zoom out slow, it's much smoother and for zoom out slow, a longer distance

Thanks in advance

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5