Low fps since upgrade to radeon R9270X

Since I upgraded from a gtx 460 768mb to a Radeon R9270x, the fps in DCS has been below 10! Changing settings to lowest doesn't help, and I hardly see any difference in fps between low settings and high settings.

I have tried the following:

-verify integrity of game cache in steam

-uninstalled old nvidia drivers (excluding physX)

-removed old drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller

-removed 13.4 amd drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller, and reinstalled Catalyst 14.3 beta

-copied 13.9 atiumd64.dll to dcs/bin folder as I found here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1985566&postcount=28

-installed latest DirectX 9.0C drivers

From what I have read up so far it seems to be the Catalyst drivers not supporting older games using directX 9 or something (similar problems with amd graphics cards and FSX I've seen)

With my old gpu I could run smoothly on medium settings.

My Specs:

processor- AMD Phenom II X4 B45 3.10 GHz

Memory- 12.0 GB

Graphics- Radeon R9270X 2GBD5 OC (previously Nvidia GTX 460 768mb)

PSU- Corsair VS550

Please help! :(

It seems, that DCSW underutilises AMD's videocards - apparently it has something to do with drivers. And secondly - Your CPU cannot load the AMD's GPU's full potential.

Edited by Gloom Demon

AMD Ryzen 3600, Biostar Racing B850GT3, AMD Rx 580 8Gb, 16384 DDR4 2900, Hitachi 7K3000 2Tb, Samsung SM961 256Gb SSD, Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, Samsung S24F350 24'

Is there no way I can make it work even on lowest settings? I am aware my CPU could do with an upgrade, but I don't mind the bottleneck for now. I can run other games like BF4 on high settings which led me to thinking its the drivers..

Is there no way I can make it work even on lowest settings? I am aware my CPU could do with an upgrade, but I don't mind the bottleneck for now. I can run other games like BF4 on high settings which led me to thinking its the drivers..

BF4 isn't using DX9. DCS is.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

As hard as it sounds: The solution is to buy an NVIDIA card or wait for AMD to build drivers that support DX9 in a way that tworks with DCS...

The problem is, AMD is promoting its GPUs with marketing hypes like "fastest" GPU, "boost in <XYZ recent ego shooter>", but fails to advertise its drivers bad performance in DX9 titles.

From my personal experience with AMD (former ATI) drivers, I would never recommend them. I never found them to be as stable and performing as Nvidia (or Matrox back in the 90ies).

In the end the 60-80 more frames in BF4 won't help if the game crashes every now and then.

I'm not saying AMD drivers are bad per se, but my experience has a strong tendency to the worse!

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Yep, our only choice is either EDGE or Nvidia... I'm using an HD7870, with the DLL injection. But I have an i5-4670K O/C to 4.4ghz. So the CPU is really helping, along with the 16GB RAM (and SSD for loading).

Setting the CPU affinity for DCS and the sound thread to use core 3 & 4, seemed to help a little too, (as that the O/S likes to default and use cores 1 & 2).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Hmm, I think I just have to change to Nvidia then :(

Going to stick with this card for now tho and try find something that works.

Apparently dx9 isnt supported with windows 7, but you can still use the vista drivers? : https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?34958-AMD-dumps-DirectX-9-card-support-under-Windows-7

My programming skills are very limited, but you think this would work using CCC for vista on windows 7?

I'm quite interested to get this working, even though I know deep down I should just buy an Nvidia card haha

I played this game on 7870xt all on high almost (FPS between 20 and 40 on the ground fighter cockpit). Try to put down settings in ati control centar to application controlled and Anti Aliasing mode to Multi-Sample AA or Adaptive Multi-Sample AA.

Just to tell you my CPU is 3570k @4.4.

Rocket brigade who retired F-117