advise a 'new guy' (aka... need new PC)

advanced flight models and systems, clickable/6DOF pits, LotATC, amazing terrain and atmospherics, ambitious developers that are responsive and committed to realism...

alright, i'm super impressed with DCS and what ED is doing

but.. its been a while since i fired up a flight sim rig - i've been away for far too long and i'm caught flat-footed when contemplating the components for a decent rig

what kind of numbers/specs does a box need to have to run this sim?

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

depends on what you already have...

cheapest route would be to go with an intel 2600 system with a gtx 570 video card, which I know for a fact work perfectly for this simulator. What other peripherals do you have or need?

what kind of numbers/specs does a box need to have to run this sim?

As usual, this depends. Do you want a "most bang for little buck" solution? Then i'd go with hitmans proposition.

Do you want the "i'm going triple monitor, money is not an issue" rig, then you'll need the latest and greatest.

Also as hitman stated, there's some periphery that can be considered crucial to the enjoyment of the sim, like headtracking. Rudder pedals may be crucial depending on what platform you like to fly, but are always a good idea. Last, what stick do you have, if you have one. Stick and throttle are arguably the most important piece of kit you will need to get the most of the sim and there have been some great units out lately, so this needs to be considered too.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

yeap.. i'll be starting from the ground up

i'm typing right now on a laptop - that won't do for a flight sim

at first i was considering simply waiting till later in the year but i don't think i want to wait

i don't think i'll use more than one monitor - but i want a big one (and fast enough to keep up with all the motion)

i also def like the idea of having those MFDs

i'll certainly be getting the TM warthog stick and throttle - i like the idea of the aftermarket extension too

yes, i'll def be getting the TrackIR head-tracking gear

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Regarding the monitor, a big one... the cheapest and best option is a plasma TV and to be more exactly I would recomend you a Panasonic plasma TV, last generation available.

Main advantage is the low input lag, better than any other LED TV/Monitor. I own an 42" older generation and I am very satisfied with it. Panasonic are since few years ago the best option in plasma TV over any other brand.

As drawbacks (yes, they are some):

- higher power consumption ~150 to 180Wh

- higher working temperature

- slightly higher weight (42" at arround 25 kg)

Late generations of plasma have an almost inexistent memory effect, so no worry about this. More than that ,there is an internal (software) function to "clean up" the screen if some memory effect appears. I never used it on my 3 years old TV and is not recomended to use it unless is really needed it.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

intel 2600 - roger that

Q: any problem at all with AMD??

@abburo - plasma! love plasma TVs! now i'm going to look for BIGGUNS for my flight sim rig

heh!

: )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

intel 2600 - roger that

Q: any problem at all with AMD??

@abburo - plasma! love plasma TVs! now i'm going to look for BIGGUNS for my flight sim rig

heh!

: )

Being an AMD fanboy, no nothing wrong whit AMD. Its just that INTEL runs DCS WAY better.

As illustration, my previous setup was an AMD Phenom II at 3.4 GHZ and an AMD 6950 GFX.

Both were maxed out at 25 fps average.

I now have still the same gpu whit an I7 4770 at 3.4Ghz, still running only 30 fps average whit GFX card maxed out.

Difference is though that the most loaded CPU core doesn't get above 40% orso.

Hope this helps you.

***edit***

just looked up the 2600 cpu, but its more expensive then the 4770 by about 30 euro's average (at least in NL)

See link for side by side comparison of the two CPU whit a load of benchmarks, site is in dutch but shouldn't be a problem.

http://nl.hardware.info/vergelijkingstabel/producten/186072-114150

(make sure to scroll aaalllll the way down)

Edited by 159th_Falcon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Definitely a big monitor, 55"+ with a TrackIR. You'll feel at home when objects have a 1:1 ratio as they would to real life. Especially if you can get a 4K TV, the setup is far easier than running a triple monitor and dealing with Helios and other things that break with each version release.

Next up is definitely a Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar Displays and a decent set of rudder pedals.

I highly recommend the Slaw Device from Poland. Solid steel construction that'll last you until USB no longer exists...

Definitely a big monitor, 55"+ with a TrackIR. You'll feel at home when objects have a 1:1 ratio as they would to real life. Especially if you can get a 4K TV, the setup is far easier than running a triple monitor and dealing with Helios and other things that break with each version release.

Next up is definitely a Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar Displays and a decent set of rudder pedals.

I highly recommend the Slaw Device from Poland. Solid steel construction that'll last you until USB no longer exists...

What are these cougar displays you refer to?

Also, instead of doing the large monitor, why not just go with 3 of these?

http://www.amazon.com/MX279H-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B17C5KO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1399690086&sr=8-4&keywords=no+bezel+monitors