Using a touch screen monitor in DCS

Hi,

I am interested in looking into buying a touch screen to set up to play DCS sims on as a second monitor and have some very basic questions about them. I wanted to confirm that they work with these sims, firstly, but I take it from what I have read on the forum that they can be used. Could anyone tell me though how complicated they are to set up? I am interested in Helios but am just a beginner with that type of thing and am still learning about it. Will Helios allow me to set up a touch screen monitor as a second monitor that I can touch a part of it to change what it is displaying, such as switching from an MFD to the radios and so on? I saw a guy online doing that with an iPad and would like to know if I can do that with a touch screen monitor? Is it an option to use a touch screen monitor in the DCS sims and just touch the buttons and flick the switches on the monitor and that will be the same as clicking with the mouse? Has it been programmed to do that with touch screen monitors for the DCS sims yet? I get the impression from what I have read that I can do this but just wanted to confirm that before I buy a touch screen monitor.

Any help is appreciated,

ozTRipwiRE

I do not have a touchscreen second monitor, but I am currently running a 29" wide screen primary and 23" secondary. I'm running helios on my second monitor using a modified version of Loz' profile. Using mouse inputs I can see that it's ideally setup for a touchscreen. All switches are click and drag and rotaries are click and turn. Based on this setup and functions used on modern tablets and smart phones, I would imagine it works about the same. Everyone I know running a touchscreen in DCS are running helios.

Look for Loz 2.1 helios profile.

I just bought a 24" Planar to use as a secondary touchscreen. I have been wanting to use a touchscreen in DCS since BS 1 came out. From my research, touchbuddy used to be the way to go but now everyone is using Helios. I have yet to get my new rig build completed, but looking forward to trying it out.

DerekM,

Thanks so much for that manual. In about 1/2 hr I've managed to get my Dell 2240T working almost perfectly.

I notice that trying to use the radio frequency buttons doesn't work too well. The numbers scroll too fast, and go out of sync with the sim.. Also the numbers go to 20 :)

Any suggestions on where I can dig around to try and fix this up ?

Otherwise, a huge time saver. Much appreciated !

Edited by andrewwong2000

DerekM,

Thanks so much for that manual. In about 1/2 hr I've managed to get my Dell 2240T working almost perfectly.

I notice that trying to use the radio frequency buttons doesn't work too well. The numbers scroll too fast, and go out of sync with the sim.. Also the numbers go to 20 :)

Any suggestions on where I can dig around to try and fix this up ?

Otherwise, a huge time saver. Much appreciated !

Glad you found it useful! Regarding the radio frequency buttons, I noticed that issue as well but haven't gotten around to investigating it. I've no idea if it's an issue with Helios and/or the Loz profile, but I have used this set-up on a normal screen and I saw no issues using a mouse for control. I hope it's not specific to the Dell 2240T, although I don't see why it should be. Maybe some tweaking in Helios is required? I'm not sure. If anyone else has seen and/or solved this issue, it would be great if they could post here as well.

In any case I won't get to investigate this for a while, so if you find a solution yourself, please post it here. Sorry I can't be any more help.

My beginner guides: [1] Export.lua [2] Dual-monitor+Helios+Cap Loz