AN/APG-63v3 and JHMCS?

Yes but then surely "the original N001" would be the improved one that was accepted into service :) .

Same way as you would refer to the original Su-27 as the "Flanker B" that went into production and not the rejected pre-production "Flanker A" :)

No. That is not correct. Like was stated earlier, the only modifications to the Radar have been reliability fixes done during the formative years/ inclusion of SNP. The Radar is otherwise unchanged. There are not equivalent upgrades to the N001 similar to APG-63v1, or V2, v3, etc, except when designated something other than N001. The N001 in a Flanker is just a N001, plane and simple. All Su-27S have the same radar set. It is not the same thing at all as the Flanker A comparison, and it would not matter if it was. If you want a better radar in a Su-27 Airframe, you have to go to a Su-30 or 35 etc.

Edited by USARStarkey

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Weed Be gone Needed

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. That is not correct. Like was stated earlier, the only modifications to the Radar have been reliability fixes done during the formative years/ inclusion of SNP. The Radar is otherwise unchanged. There are not equivalent upgrades to the N001 similar to APG-63v1, or V2, v3, etc, except when designated something other than N001. The N001 in a Flanker is just a N001, plane and simple. All Su-27S have the same radar set. It is not the same thing at all as the Flanker A comparison, and it would not matter if it was. If you want a better radar in a Su-27 Airframe, you have to go to a Su-30 or 35 etc.

Source?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

No. That is not correct. Like was stated earlier, the only modifications to the Radar have been reliability fixes done during the formative years/ inclusion of SNP.

SNP mode has been in the radar infrastructure since day one.

There are not equivalent upgrades to the N001 similar to APG-63v1, or V2, v3, etc, except when designated something other than N001.

There is exactly a multi-stage upgrade program for the N001 involving replacement of varies components including the data processor, additional mode for employment of RVV-AE missile and several air-to-surface modes. There is fact even a final stage which replaces the old cassegrain antenna with an electronically steered phased array antenna(called "Pero").

JJ

An Su-27SM is an upgraded Su-27S and the N001VEP is an upgraded N001 :).

Which is a Different bloody plane.

That is why it is called SM. The SM also has a variety other qualities that places it well ahead of the regular Su-27S. They are not the same plane. The point being made was that you wont find a "S" with a N001VEP for example, unless designated "SM" etc.

Which is a Different bloody plane.

That is why it is called SM. The SM also has a variety other qualities that places it well ahead of the regular Su-27S. They are not the same plane. The point being made was that you wont find a "S" with a N001VEP for example, unless designated "SM" etc.

Actually, the Su-27SM is a modernized Su-27S, and is remanufacturered from existing Su-27S/P airframes. I think some SM might have uprated engines.

However, there are some pretty big plans for the current fleet of 179 F-15Cs. Currently, the upgraded F-15C has the AN/APG-63v3, which is allegedly even more powerful (though perhaps not as sophisticated as) the F-22's AN/APG-77. It also has the AIM-9X and JHMCS combo with claimed 90 degrees off-boresight. Alternately, you also have the Israeli Python 5 missile.

I think future planned upgrades include the EPAWSS, which is supposed to be an EW, RWR and MLD combo that uses tech from the F-35, and updated mission computers. The Eagle might also be getting updated cockpit displays and an IRST, pending funding. Another thing on my personal wish list is the F100-PW-229 engines (29,000 lb class!!). Then add in the AIM-120C-7 or even the AIM-120D.

An Eagle with all of these upgrades would truly be a scary adversary.

However, there are some pretty big plans for the current fleet of 179 F-15Cs.

The upgrade is well in the process of happening. I don't know how many F-15s are completed.

I think future planned upgrades include the EPAWSS, which is supposed to be an EW, RWR and MLD combo that uses tech from the F-35, and updated mission computers. The Eagle might also be getting updated cockpit displays and an IRST, pending funding.

Pretty much already done, and IRSTs are already purchased.

Another thing on my personal wish list is the F100-PW-229 engines (29,000 lb class!!).

Not going to happen. Simply not needed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Not all of the F-15C's have the APG-63v3. I think only 18 have gotten it so far if memory serves. Hopefully many more will get it. Personally though, I saw damn the costs and cancel everything that isnt the F-35 and build more Raptors :) And I mean cancel everything that is a fighter. And Build more raptors.

I am aware that the SM is re manufactured etc. The point is if you want upgrades on a Flanker, it has a different designation.

I think only 18 have gotten it so far if memory serves. Hopefully many more will get it.

The Elmendorf birds have the v2 IIRC, everyone else is getting the v3.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

An Su-27SM is an upgraded Su-27S and the N001VEP is an upgraded N001 :).

The upgrade is well in the process of happening. I don't know how many F-15s are completed.

Pretty much already done, and IRSTs are already purchased.

Not going to happen. Simply not needed.

WAIT, does this mean the F-15 is getting DAS?

The Elmendorf birds have the v2 IIRC, everyone else is getting the v3.

I thought the Raytheon contract was for 179 v3 radars, so I'm not sure what's going to happen to the birds that already have the v2. Unless I read it wrong and it's 179 v2/v3 radars.

They're going to keep their V2s. Those were the test birds for upgrading to the v3. A v3 is an updated V2, but there's nothing wrong with a v2 ... no need to replace it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They're going to keep their V2s. Those were the test birds for upgrading to the v3. A v3 is an updated V2, but there's nothing wrong with a v2 ... no need to replace it.

Really? I was under the impression that the v3 is better than the v2 in just about every way, i.e. lighter, better T/R modules, more efficient, etc.

Which is a Different bloody plane. That is why it is called SM.

It is not a different plane - it is an upgrade to the same plane.

The SM also has a variety other qualities that places it well ahead of the regular Su-27S. They are not the same plane. The point being made was that you wont find a "S" with a N001VEP for example, unless designated "SM" etc.

You are right that the -SM upgrade involves many other things than just the upgraded radar, but so do the F-15C upgrades - whether the aircraft manufacturer decides to change the aircraft designation accordingly is just "semantics".

JJ

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I was not sure If I should make a new thread for this or not so here I go...

With the F-18C equipped with JHMCS and AIM9X and AIM120C coming out most likrly this year or very shortly after, it looks like the Eagle will soon be obsolete in real DCS gameplay. With no JHMCS, the 15C only advantage will be longer range, and the F15 will slowly disappear from the competitive tiers by most users. This is unacceptable to me and I think the JHMCS and AIM9X needs to be integrated into the Eagle when the Hornet comes out. The F18 will already have so many different missions that it is good at, but the F15C only has one use, killing everything that flies. I know this has been discussed multiple times, but a lot of those threads were way before we knew about the F18 having JHMCS and AIM9X. If ED gives/allows the F-15C to have JHMCS it will be the top fighter for NATO in the game that it is (pre Raptor). It will also drive up sales for the F15C for people who are new to sims and want an air superiority fighter or just want an easy to learn plane that has one job. This is just my opinion, should I make a new thread?

Edited by frixon28

Does the real F15C feature JHMCS? Can the real F15C carry the Aim9X?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.