DCS: F-86F Sabre, July?

Dudester22

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's not but I hope the Sabre will look like that in edge

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Slats are like metal strips or bars?

I don't believe you're looking in the right place. What is it that you are showing us in your picture?

Slats are high lift devices that are attached to the wings whose purpose is to energize the boundary layer of air over top of the wing surface at high AoA, producing lift. qf-86f_553865-6.jpg

Ours has wing fences, which decrease the amount of span-wise airflow that would otherwise reduce the effective lift over the wing. 588c32b2-1d2a-48e9-bc49-b0c42f2e329b_zps64eb6ac7.jpg

our version is Ball-less too...

Yes, I suppose the pilot will provide those.

Hey great pics SgtPappy!!

BTW anyonw know the date the slats were introduced? Thanks.

The slats were on the original production Sabres from F-86A to early F-86F's, as well as the F-86K. They were removed midway through the F-86F-25 and -30 production around 1952. These aircraft also have the "6-3 wing" which are the same as the regular wing but with a leading edge extended at the wing root by 6" and the tip by 3". The higher wing sweep created by the 6-3 extension also created the need for the fixed wing fence at 70% span to reduce spanwise flow as I mentioned earlier. This wing change necessitated a removable triangular prism-shaped section at the wing root to access the ammo bay doors which on previous planes were unblocked. This is probably the easiest way to see the 6-3 wing if the wing fence isn't visible. Our version is the F-86F-35 which was in production during, but showed up right after the Korean War.

After the Korean War, the F-86F-40 was introduced with the same 6-3 wing, but with a 12" wing span extension on both wings plus re-introduced slats and a straight pitot tube. The Canadair Sabre Mk.6 (a.k.a. CL-13B) also reintroduced the slats,but not with the wingspan extension.

AAC.F86-Wings.gif

Edited by SgtPappy

Thanks for the clear explanation. So we're getting a versions that didn't saw combat during the Korean war as all Sabres in Korea used the slats. Is that right?

This is correct. The F-86F-35 and F-86F-30 variants are so incredibly similar though, it would be absolutely no problem to simulate Korean War combat with our model. Just don't use the missiles. Externally, the two planes are essentially identical.

I don't believe you're looking in the right place. What is it that you are showing us in your picture?

Slats are high lift devices that are attached to the wings whose purpose is to energize the boundary layer of air over top of the wing surface at high AoA, producing lift. qf-86f_553865-6.jpg

Ours has wing fences, which decrease the amount of span-wise airflow that would otherwise reduce the effective lift over the wing. 588c32b2-1d2a-48e9-bc49-b0c42f2e329b_zps64eb6ac7.jpg

Yes, I suppose the pilot will provide those.

Thanks , for the explanation.

Edited by Emmer

Thanks for the clear explanation. So we're getting a versions that didn't saw combat during the Korean war as all Sabres in Korea used the slats. Is that right?

Negative, the 6-3 wing equipped Sabres did see a lot of action in Korean War. In fact, the US shipped lots of conversion kits straight to Korea to get the older F-86As (with wing slats) upgraded asap. The version we're getting is pretty much identical to the last production blocks used in Korea plus the missiles.

I'm surprised there's no Pre- Purchase available at the minute. I'll keep looking for it each day.

Don't ask me for advice on these Two Subjects:

1.. How to Take Off in the Dora!

2.. How to Land the Dora!

UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIE!

I'm surprised there's no Pre- Purchase available at the minute. I'll keep looking for it each day.

Why? Belsimtek has never offered a pre-purchase before and, since the A-10C, this is the first time ED has done so as well.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It was Just a statement, they might of done something different this time. Chill dude.

Don't ask me for advice on these Two Subjects:

1.. How to Take Off in the Dora!

2.. How to Land the Dora!

UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIE!

Pre-purchase as in give us money and you can download at a later date. Both of those where available for installation, and use, the day they went on sale.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Negative, the 6-3 wing equipped Sabres did see a lot of action in Korean War. In fact, the US shipped lots of conversion kits straight to Korea to get the older F-86As (with wing slats) upgraded asap. The version we're getting is pretty much identical to the last production blocks used in Korea plus the missiles.

He's not talking about the hard wing Sabres. He's talking about the F-86F-35 which is what we have. Not a single one of those were in the Korean War, but as I stated above, externally, the plane is identical to the F-86F-30 which did see war action. Also no F-86A's were converted to 6-3 configuration. Only E's and early F's.

He's not talking about the hard wing Sabres. He's talking about the F-86F-35 which is what we have. Not a single one of those were in the Korean War, but as I stated above, externally, the plane is identical to the F-86F-30 which did see war action. Also no F-86A's were converted to 6-3 configuration. Only E's and early F's.

Sorry if I misunderstood something, but I was replying regarding 'all Sabres in Korea used the slats'. All clear, I agree with what you were saying, and wanted to add that 6-3 winged Sabres have indeed seen action over Korea, and that even older slatted wing Sabres were converted to 6-3s during that conflict. :thumbup:

Sorry if I misunderstood something, but I was replying regarding 'all Sabres in Korea used the slats'. All clear, I agree with what you were saying, and wanted to add that 6-3 winged Sabres have indeed seen action over Korea, and that even older slatted wing Sabres were converted to 6-3s during that conflict. :thumbup:

Not all 6-3 Sabres were F-35s, some were F-25s.

IIIRC later Sabres aka F-86F-40s and Canadair MK6s got the slatted wings again. Provided better low speed handling.:D