MK84

stefaanadriansens

i tested the lethal fragmentation of the mk84 in dcs , its 350feet . the second try on same spot it disabled the infantri in a radius of 600 , while the first mk84 damaged the infantri abaut 5 percent , the ones that are on 580 feet radius. the real mk84 lethal fragmentation has a 1200 feet radius.

:pilotfly:

i7-920, 12 GB DDR3 1600, Gigabyte x58 ud3r, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, 2x500GB SSD+1x250ssd, TrackIR 5 clip, screen 42 inches, and 21 inches, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick,t500rs,th8 shifter, Saitek Pro throttle, x controller, G11 keys

Honestly, a MK84 is a very large bomb. With the amount of explosives and shrapnel caused by it, I wouldn't really doubt a 1200 feet kill radius. Though of course, those things tend to be calculated with ideal circumstances, i.e. nose fuze against infantry in the open in flat terrain that doesn't have any chances of the bomb burying itself before detonating.

Imo there are two things to consider:

1. The Mk-80 series GPBs are not really fragmentation bombs. They certainly produce some good amount of shrapnells, but the main destructive force is the blast effect. I admit, I have no hard data at hand, but I doubt that even a Mk-84 will kill everything within 400 meters ... Probably the "danger area" is 400 meters in diameter where you have a certain risk of being lethaly hit by a shrapnell ...

2. In DCS, shrapnell damage is not modelled. *sad panda.gif*

I doubt the 1200 feet radius is a 100% kill. With so much variables? How much tests did you do?

tried all fuze settings learned olso abaut the fuzes , the only thing wat is modeled is the noze or and tail , with nose fuze the bomb goes halfway in then explodes. the dsu 33 should make it explode before impact with a ecm jammer or someting. in al testst i did the second mk84 does the 600 feet radius job. for infantri , it should be with the first one.

i7-920, 12 GB DDR3 1600, Gigabyte x58 ud3r, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, 2x500GB SSD+1x250ssd, TrackIR 5 clip, screen 42 inches, and 21 inches, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick,t500rs,th8 shifter, Saitek Pro throttle, x controller, G11 keys

Imo there are two things to consider:

1. The Mk-80 series GPBs are not really fragmentation bombs. They certainly produce some good amount of shrapnells, but the main destructive force is the blast effect. I admit, I have no hard data at hand, but I doubt that even a Mk-84 will kill everything within 400 meters ... Probably the "danger area" is 400 meters in diameter where you have a certain risk of being lethaly hit by a shrapnell ...

2. In DCS, shrapnell damage is not modelled. *sad panda.gif*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_84_bomb safe distance is 3000 feet , within 1200 feet radius is dead within 1200 and 2500 feets radius survivable . in dcs a mk84 has the real mk82 death radius.

its olso , if you drop a mk84 200 feet from a bmp the bmp and poeple in it would be total loss in dcs not. i just wish they made the mk84 more deadly or powerfull in dcs

cordinates of the test is 41 51 08

041 48 19

its near the smaller airfield near wp1.

hot on ramp . the zu23 is the center of the field , if you wipe out the 600 feet radius you wil get a text in the upper right corner olso for the 1200 feet.

gp84test.miz

• 2 weeks later...

The following chart can be used to determine the effects of blast overpressure on a human subject for a given weight in TNT. While the design of the bomb can accentuate overpressure effects to a degree, it is probably safe to assume that the bomb would not be more effective than its total mass in TNT.

2dcabo2.jpg

source:http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA286212

Note that this completely ignores the effects of shrapnel.

The chart indicates a probable kill line about 30m (100ft) from a 1000kg blast. Beyond this range shrapnel is the only significant factor, which is based on probability with an inverse-square falloff.

ou1639.jpg

source: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/usmc/mcwp/3-23-1/appf.pdf

This chart indicates a Mk84 10% PI at 225m (note that the unguided Mk84 figure is inflated to 325m to account for risk of aiming error).

It is therefore likely that a Mk84 may be expected to reliably kill unprotected infantry at 100-200m range.

'Soft' vehicles would be only slightly more resilient than infantry. Assume a 50% PI of 100m. Armoured vehicles, however, would probably need to be within the overpressure zone (<30m) to be disabled.

2n6ym3b.jpg

source: created by B25Mitch

• 3 weeks later...
the last chart is absolutely wrong imho

hard to believe that the damage (PI) of the mk-84 is the same as the mk-82 (especially it those are LGBs), while the mk-84 got 5 times larger/heavier filling of tnt than the mk-82

zuni vs hyrda rockets is the same: ridiculous

Maybe an Mk84 might not produce significantly more shrapnel than an Mk82, thus a similar safe distance. Possibly the shrapnel would be propelled farther, though, but would that increase the PI (Probability of Injury, I assume?).

Mk-84 will have a larger blast-kill radius, though.

B25Mitch,

Thanks, great answer.

stefaanadriansens,

I would not use wiki as a source of information. Try looking in .mil or .gov sites.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

the real problem is vertical shrapnel. I read somewhere that the 82's shrapnel could reach 2500 feet. I wonder what A-10 pilots punch in to stave off this stuff. I'm gonna throw a number (5000, double). With 84's, probably 10,000 feet (quadruple)

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

the real problem is vertical shrapnel. I read somewhere that the 82's shrapnel could reach 2500 feet. I wonder what A-10 pilots punch in to stave off this stuff. I'm gonna throw a number (5000, double). With 84's, probably 10,000 feet (quadruple)

What do you mean 'punch in'?

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

They tail or nose kit should have little effect on the blast. The Fuses ( tail or nose), specifically their setting will have their biggest effect. Additionally the target material will affect the blast, if a bomb fuse is set to .5 mili sec and it hits sand or soft dirt, it will have a different blast that if it would hit a building and blow within.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

What do you mean 'punch in'?

minimum altitude they 'punch' in to DSMS. to avoid fragmentation.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.