SU25T A2G problem?

JP8

I am new to DCS World. I've completed the training and rehearsed so that I am reasonably proficient with the SU25T.

I have started generating missions (set on easy etc) and have no problems getting to the action and knocking out the occasional aerial threat en route. The problem is this. When I come to take on ground targets I switch to A2G then set the TV ON. (Incidentally, rather than slewing the target designator over the intended target I point the nose of the aircraft at it as I find this easier than operating the keyboard and then I hit enter). On the first round I get a positive lock and get a weapon off and a usually a hit. Circling back around for another turn I repeat the process but now I can't get the designator to lock to anything. Bashing enter doesn't work. Even using the keys to slew the designator doesn't work although the designator moves as it should. I have tried switching on + off the TV and laser designator. I have switched to A2A then back to A2G. Nothing.

I sometimes (not always) get a verbal LA but have no idea what I am locked onto. My suspicion is that I might be a bug as the pipper jumps back and forth rhythmically on the HUD sometimes. After multiple passes and no successful locks I invariably have to abandon the mission. I also thought that it might be due to multiple ground threats and that I had locked up something out of the field of vision but repeated presses of enter never locks my intended target.

Going back to a training scenario or an instant action mission and this problem doesn't occur.

1) Does this sound familiar?

2) Am I making a novice error?

3) Does repeated pressing of enter 'cycle' through targets or does is simply lock or unlock the designator?

Thanks

Edited by JP8

Just check twice which weapon you have active. Make sure you have a guided missile type selected and not an rocket or bomb. Set a weapon cycle button on your joystick just for your convenience.

"Enter" is just target lock while "Back" is unlock. Be aware, pressing Enter just stabilize your SKVAL then you have to slew it easily over the target to lock it. The AC indicator on your upper right HUD means that target is automatically locked. The KC means that you piper is just stabilized.

Edited by Abburo

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Thanks Abburo.

I had only two A2G weapons on this sortie (excluding the gun). The weapon intended to use is the Vikhr. I used this in the training so I (hopefully) have picked it up OK. I did check this was selected. I even pressed 'D' to cycle through weapons to see if coming back to the Vikhr helped but no.

just loaded into a easy fast mission w/ su25t, had not issue firing vic's, but wow those f18's come in hot! definitely fun to shoot those w/ the 73's. Also fair to note i just followed your instructions on a2g weapons deployment.. point tv at target w/ nose of aircraft lock up pressing enter, slewed to target for lock(moving convoy). laser armed. I'll presume you did this part- lining up circles for LA and destroyed targets.

Edited by will-

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

I did think about target box size - it is and was set to 10 and I was targeting out humvees. I'll revist the mission now and see what happens when changing the size. Maybe I'm making a novice error somewhere...

Thanks Will. Yes I splashed an F18 on the way in. DCS is an Incredible simulation!!! Once I'm proficient I'm going to get the A10C but no point yet If I cant get to grips with the SU25.

Edited by JP8

SU25 both A and T variants are just superb. I consider them the school planes for DCS, but not just that. They are feeling superb in flight, their systems are simple enough to get the basics of avionics, played in packs are even more wonderful. For me those are most played planes for now.

So JP8, good start for you :) !

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Sounds like the Laser is overheating

PG57 in the manual.

Turn off the laser rangefinder by pressing the [RShift-O] key. Remember that the

rangefinder/target designator has a limited, continuous duration time, which is about one minute.

After that, the device needs time to cool down or risk damage. During this cool-down time indicated by "Л", a green lamp will flash at 2 Hz; when the device has sufficiently cooled, the lamp will extinguish. The cooling time is nearly equal to the work time, and it depends on environment temperature conditions.

Nate

Looks like I'm an idiot folks!! The scenarios were launching in 'avionics' mode. I hadn't spent much time reviewing this feature as I didn't intend to use it. So this might explain why I couldn't operate the Shkval properly. It seems that by pressing ENTER caused the system to auto-cycle through available targets and not necessarily lock onto what I had point at. Also this explains why I couldn't ground stabilize the marker and as such I was pointing the nose instead.

I noticed about laser overheat and I had seen that it shuts itself off after target destroyed. I guess avionics mode simplifies that too?

Of course I might be entirely wrong in blaming avionics mode but I guess many functions are automated there?

Sorry folks......I'm new! I'm going to go back over the lessons again!

Thanks for being patient.

I see there is a game avionics mode which according to the manual 'provides arcade-style avionics' to simplify the simulation.

This is where you get the circular situational display on the top right of your monitor.

I disabled this mode and then went back to the instant action 'target practice' detail. This time I could operate the shkval normally (including ground stabilising to a target of my choice).

In avionics mode I ENTER does not ground stabilise, it cycles through the targets.

I can't verify this so I will accept corrections from the developers but this seems to be why I had the original problem. Of course in training avionics mode doesn't occur.

Hopefully I've got this right or some of it.

Nor was I intending to use it as an arcade game. If I was I probably wouldn't be asking questions of this nature here.

Interestingly the arcade mode has subtle similarities to the authentic mode and when the system initially behaved as expected I didn't think I was in arcade mode -such as when selecting initial targets.

Thanks for the input anyway Abburo and sorry if You feel I have wasted your time.

Godzila thanks for commenting that you faced a similar problem. I'm only a week into using DCS so I'm learning about it all the time.

A quick word to the developers: DCS is a truly awesome program with massive potential. For me, coming from a background of Microsoft Flight Sim and the real world of aviation (civvy not mil) this is the most realistic ever in my opinion.

Edited by JP8

• 1 month later...

What do you mean by AVionics mode?

I have many issues wiuth the SU25T, its a hard ! plane to fly ! I have tried adjusting the joy stick etx. Set GAME MODE in OPTIONS unsleected, no difference. The nose bounces all over the place, same with other aircraft... so perhaps someone can suggest a setting ? Options dont seem to work as set, the MINI HUD keeps showing up for no reason ?? Things come and go, work sometimes dont work other times.

Specifically the INSTANT Action SAM KILLER (this seemed to work fine the first few times I flew this), Now I cannot lock the radar on a target it just cycles from one to the next no matter how precise I get with the target (red triangle moves from one to the other when I use LOCK TARGET button. And ALT 1 and ALT 2 work for a bit then they go away ... Hold attitude and altitude. Is that normal?