Is steam depreciated?

peope

I am wondering if using steam is depreciated and if ED wants us to move to buying and DL from their own shop?

The reason for asking is because of the serials on steam works on DL from ED but not the other way around.

And because of the summer sale which is only for the ED shop.

I am investing quite a bit into DCS.

Not just the modules I've bought but hardware.

And I'd like to know if the preferred (by ED) is to buy directly from them and using steam will make me loose opportunities to buy 3rd party modules and get all of the quality that DCS can give.

Would you suggest moving from steam platform to standalone downloading from ED directly or is either option equally good/preferred?

Sincerely

// Peo

I am not looking to blame anybody.

That is unproductive and futile.

I am looking to understand how things will move on in the future.

What to expect when it comes to each distribution platform.

Going steam -> ED Shop is a one way ticket.

And I would be a fool if my worry that steam will not have the same level of support it had before is not true.

Equally I would be a fool if the intent from ED is to fully support steam as a distribution-platform and I wen't over to ED as a distribution-platform that is not as simple for me to use.

I don't have the information to make a good choice.

Would you consider steam to be a depreciated platform now in favor of ED:s own distribution?

Either way I love the advanced DCS-simulators and am looking forward to all the things it will offer. Especially the "modern" PFM/EFM and interactive cocpit variants. I've had an eye out for the choppers in the discount for a long time.

However. There is a cost to moving to ED:s platform and irrevocable.

I do not know the "cost" of sticking to steam as a platform.

And it comes down to the level of support that distribution-platform is expected to have.

Without knowing more it looks like stand-alone is the preferred way that will work the best with patches, betas, programs and new aircraft coming out (as 3d party modules might not come to steam?)

Any suggestion on which distribution platform to use to "futureproof"?

Sincerely

// Peo

Edited by peope
Spelling mistakes

Peo - I didn't intend to imply blame, just wanted to give some info :)

As for a preference, if the stand-alone works well for you then it's probably (in my opinion) the most future-proof one to use. Steam brings in lots of new (and sometimes more casual) DCS World players, but modules are released here first and the ED store has shown no signs of going anywhere. Even if it did, it would be fairly impossible to imagine a scenario where wherever it headed wouldn't provide a transition/import path.

People that use the stand-alone version can still take advantage of Steam sales etc (the ED keys will work with ED always).

Hope that helps.

PS I don't speak for ED, so just an opinion, but you can imagine Valve not being happy by someone official from ED coming in here and saying 'please don't buy from Steam' as that would break the T&C's ED signed to have the Steam store listings.

• Like 1

Thank you kindly Fearlessfrog :)

I appreciate your explaining your view on how things work.

It sounds like what I was suspecting.

I've got better information on how to go forward.

Thank you very much. :)

Sincerely

// Peo

Just my 2 cents worth....

When buying a game or program, I always prefer to go to the source. I have purchased games through 3rd party suppliers before and when things go pear shaped, the 3rd Party Denies responsibility and palms you off the Manufacturer. The manufacturer then states that because you bought the game through a 3rd Party, you need to talk to them about it. And around and around you go in a eternal circle trying to sort it out.

As a rule of thumb, I always go to the source. And with Eagle Dynamics, I have never ever experienced a single problem. Anything that goes wrong, you contact them and they contact you back in a very short period. I've never had a problem that took more than 2 emails to sort out either.

I do however have 3 games on my steam account, that are not working as they should ( crashing to desktop and more ) yet I have never been able to get steam to even answer a single support ticket on any of them. And I have sent them in excess of 20 emails.

Edited by Spasticatedtoad

I agree with fearlessfrog and would like to add my 2 cents. :)

Edit: Sniped by and agreeing with Spasticatedtoad as well :)/Edit

There's no guarantee whatsoever that future modules will be available on Steam. I guess it makes sense for developers to reach Steam's audience, but we can't know if all 3rd parties or even ED themselves will sell their products on Steam in the future.

Steam collects a share from every purchase.

Let's say the customer would never have bought the product if it wasn't on Steam, then the developer still makes a sale, albeit at a lower profit - everybody wins. But if the customer is aware of the developer's own shop (and assuming the price is equal in this shop and on Steam), then the developer obviously makes less money when the customers buys on Steam.

In other words, if you wish to support ED, buy right here. :)

(Or if you wish to support Valve, it would make more sense for you to buy on Steam, it's your choice).

Because of how software deployment works, chances are that new versions and updates will be available here before they become available on Steam. If you're eagerly waiting for a patch or a new module, it would make sense to buy right here.

Personally, I like Steam and have bought tons of games there, but I bought all my DCS stuff directly from ED and never regretted doing so.

Edited by Yurgon
Better choice of words

Personally, I like Steam and have bought tons of games there, but I bought all my DCS stuff directly from ED and never regretted doing so.

Yep! :thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: