Intercepting B-52s with the Air-To-Ground Kh-66

Why485

While messing around in the Kh-66 training mission I got to wondering if I could use those massive air to ground missiles against other airplanes.

They’re beam riding missiles so in theory they should be able to track anything the radar locks onto, right? I mean, what do they care if that lock is in the air or in the sea? A radar beam is a radar beam.

If you’d like to try this yourself, the mission file is attached. It's your MiG armed with two Kh-66s, two R-60Ms, and very limited gun ammo. It's not particularly challenging, but it's fun to use Kh-66s as anti-bomber weapons.

Beam Rider.miz

Also, how is your plane so LOUD? Mine is extremely quiet on the inside, I can't head the wind rushing past canopy like you can....

Play with the audio sliders in game options;) I have my cockpit noise at 70% and world at 50% no GUI and no Music. Oh Helmet at 70% too. Just to be able to hear TS:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Play with the audio sliders in game options;) I have my cockpit noise at 70% and world at 50% no GUI and no Music. Oh Helmet at 70% too. Just to be able to hear TS:)

thx

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

LOL it works! Set the planes so they don't try and dodge, and is very fun!

You actually can hit a maneuvering and evading B-52, you just need to make sure you're in a lag pursuit that way the missile follows the bomber in such a way that it won't need to turn too hard.

Ow, this need fixing. The missile isn't attempting to seek the beam at all, and this should be major problem for using it in A2A.

I've been wondering about this ever since I saw the missile do one very specific (but fun) thing.

I launched the missile without any lock whatsoever. Predictably, the missile didn't know what to do so it just flew off into the sky unguided. 2-3 seconds after launch, I locked a target in front of me (and from the missiles POV about 40 degrees to the right and below) and to my surprise it started to home into my radar lock.

It self-destructed before getting near the target, and it probably wouldn't have been able to turn sharp enough to hit anyway, but that caught me off guard. By my understanding of what a beam-riding missile is, the Kh-66 should have been nowhere near the radar beam and thus would have no direction when I got that lock.

It would seem like the ingame version acts more like a dumb SARH missile than it does a beam-riding missile.

Edited by Why485

Ow, this need fixing. The missile isn't attempting to seek the beam at all, and this should be major problem for using it in A2A.

Why? The RS-2US has exactly the same guidance system and is designated air to air. I rather wonder why it doesn't work the other way round (= RS-2US for A/G) as those "dumb" missiles shouldn't be able to tell whether I lock a plane or something on the ground.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=131486

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

There's a reason for which A2A missiles have proximity fuzes. This is one of them. The further your target, the less your accuracy for a beam rider.

This might be an indication that perhaps there's no dedicated beam-riding missile code and it's being fudged somehow.

Why? The RS-2US has exactly the same guidance system and is designated air to air. I rather wonder why it doesn't work the other way round (= RS-2US for A/G) as those "dumb" missiles shouldn't be able to tell whether I lock a plane or something on the ground.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=131486

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

That's right. And if you move the nose too fast, especially the further out the missile is, it should fall out of the beam.

Basically those missiles should behave like the Vikhrs except the fact that they have more control surfaces. Therefore: The higher the distance and the more the radar beam moves, the less probable is a hit.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg