Su-27 Open-Beta chit-chat and first impressions!

JulienBlanc

Hello pilots!

Saw the updated model of the su-27 was available on the open-beta so went and downloaded it asap!

Lots of us have been waiting for quite a while now post your first impressions!

I'll just start with the take-off, rolling down the runway feels really slippy, and once you're airborne it's pretty hard to keep her stable! I feel like she wants to pull away constantly!

As for the lovely S button allowing the "cobra" maneuver, try it at your own risk :p impressive and very hard to keep align.

Does anyone know if the manual has been updated?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

256 GB SSD + 1TB HDD Crucial+ WD Blue

16 Gb Ram DDR3-1866-C9R Mhz Veng. Pro.

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

autopilot oscillations, autopilot oscillations everywhere.

and at low speed it starts wanting to rock left and right a lot.

other than that, it climbs, and accelerates way better, and it no longer starts rolling to one side above 1600km, as well as the damage model getting some much needed extra bits.

Edited by karambiatos

autopilot oscillations, autopilot oscillations everywhere.

and at low speed it starts wanting to rock left and right a lot.

other than that, it climbs, and accelerates way better, and it no longer starts rolling to one side above 1600km

in the SFM module of the su-27 whenever crosswind's involved engaging autopilot reacts oddly and can be a very brutal transition.

As for the AFM, the oscillation is sustained instead of slowly stabilizing...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

For some reason I can't get mine faster than 1160-ish km/h without difficulty on a level flight

inverted flat spins everywhere...

Edited by JulienBlanc

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

As for the lovely S button allowing the "cobra" maneuver, try it at your own risk :p impressive and very hard to keep align.

What! ...please dont tell me the cobra is scripted...

Win 10pro x64 | i5 2500 | 16GB RAM | GTX1060 6GB | Logitech G940 | Tir5 + TC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What! ...please dont tell me the cobra is scripted...

I think the S button just shuts the G-limiter, basically "unclipping you" with wild input to point your nose any direction you want. Provided you can control the bird

---------

DO NOT try to fly inverted lol.

Edited by JulienBlanc

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

same deal?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=59940

"OK, just checked, it is different to Black shark - this is what you do (use the Rctrl-& enter indicator too.)

Press button - move & hold stick in any direction (Centre point moves slowly) - release button."

Win 10pro x64 | i5 2500 | 16GB RAM | GTX1060 6GB | Logitech G940 | Tir5 + TC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Stick to Trimmer Control Mode is New to me....I have mapped it, but what is its intended purpose?

What I've noticed so far, while bringing up the control indicator with Rctrl + Enter

As I keep the trimmer pressed down it forces lock on the current position of the controls. I can then move the controls to any desired position without it actually having any effect up to releasing the trimmer where it will take the current input

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

Maybe you press it, move the stick to wanted position, unpress it and it will trimm it in that position?

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Maybe you press it, move the stick to wanted position, unpress it and it will trimm it in that position?

scratch that, keeping it pressed, then moving the joystick is like an extra axis specifically for trim.

Edited by JulienBlanc

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

Correct.

As for the 'S' button, it's called 'Mode of Direct Control'. It doesn't disable limiters, it disables ALL flight augmentation system functions.

The Su-27 is unstable in pitch, and the augmentation system helps you maintain control. That means it alters the position of the flight control systems to give a stable flight, and consistent feeling of control, as well as force damping.

When you press S, you have direct control over the control surfaces, which is useful for cobra maneuvers, and quite dangerous for normal flight.

As far as 'it likes to rock at slow speed', that's wrong. It rocks at high AoA, which is something that all planes do - they wing rock as you approach critical AoA.

As far as 'inverted spins everywhere' ... learn to fly :)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Flanker PFM + HDD!!!!

Impressions:

1) Feels like PFM should with yaw oscillations and low speed controllability!

2) It loves to pitch UP like crazy..not sure why.

3) There seems to be an issue with pitch down and blacking out. Inverted spin soon follows.

4) Engaging ASC direct control (S) with any negative AOA results in immediate black out and then spin!

5) Very hard to recover from spin.

6) Engaging attitude/altitude hold is a bit hit and miss. Disengaging is even more unpredictable at times with crazy pitch oscillations.

6) Love the fact that for CAC modes the aiming/lock circle sticks to edge of HUD when aircraft is out of view

7) Same for waypoint indicator on HDD!

8 ) No buddy datalink without awacs?

Overall I'm very positive! There are some bugs I think and I'm sure there is a learning curve to it. I look forward to the developers comments!

Edited by ///Rage

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

The Su-27 is unstable in pitch, and the augmentation system helps you maintain control. That means it alters the position of the flight control systems to give a stable flight, and consistent feeling of control, as well as force damping.

It only starts pitching up like crazy when the stabilization is on if you press S its actually much nicer to fly, as it no longer pitches up.

Landing as well, with no stabilization its no longer rocking left and right.

Edited by karambiatos

Entered an AI su-27 with the Ralt+J command, it was flying it's own course, and as soon as I hopped in, I instantly started spinning around the pitch axis causing it to crash...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

I've finally managed to do Cobra and stuff without inverted spin. Trim is required more than in any other aircraft. Nose down tendency is sick. Also I forgot about gear down during landing. Instant high AoA is useful during landing because airbrake is not that good when diving. I will have lots of fun this weekend.

Augmentation system needs some tuning, it handles like YF-23 on ground.

The mode of Direct Control, ( 'S' button ) is really interesting, activating as long as you're pulling on the stick will keep you from pitching violently down.

Pulling is alright, but when it's time to push back down it's hard not to overshoot resulting in a violent dive towards the ground if not ending in an inverted spin, or "black-out" more of a red-out actually...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

I realize this is a open beta, but I did some quick testing and some things appear to be off, as expected in a beta. Things I have noted are:

It is way too fast. Its about 200mph too fast at altitude, as I was able to easy outpace a F-15 as I skyrocketed to 1733mph. At sea level I exceeded the generally quoted mach 1.1 top speed and hit 966mph, once again strangely faster than a F-15 by about 20 knots. The Eagle maxed out at 1474 knots at altitude, or 1690ish mph- which is much closer to its true top speed. Conditions were DCS defaults. Note: Considerable increase in fuel consumption noted. F-15 PFM consumes fuel only slightly faster than SFM. With the flanker, at SL I hit 966mph and then started slowing down as the fuel load was consumed so rapidly that the CG or something must have changed and I was slowed down by a rapid oscillation. I air-braked and attempted to re accelerate but found that I could not break 805knots and the top speed continued to descend as fuel decreased. I have no idea if this is a error regarding the fuel consumption and effects, just noting observations. For high speed tests alt was 40k.

I know its a beta, this is just stuff I've noted. Otherwise this is really cool so far. Speed thing needs fixed though. :)

Edited by USARStarkey
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Weed Be gone Needed

• ED Team
Flanker PFM + HDD!!!!

Impressions:

1) Feels like PFM should with yaw oscillations and low speed controllability!

2) It loves to pitch UP like crazy..not sure why.

3) There seems to be an issue with pitch down and blacking out. Inverted spin soon follows.

4) Engaging ASC direct control (S) with any negative AOA results in immediate black out and then spin!

5) Very hard to recover from spin.

6) Engaging attitude/altitude hold is a bit hit and miss. Disengaging is even more unpredictable at times with crazy pitch oscillations.

6) Love the fact that for CAC modes the aiming/lock circle sticks to edge of HUD when aircraft is out of view

7) Same for waypoint indicator on HDD!

8 ) No buddy datalink without awacs?

Overall I'm very positive! There are some bugs I think and I'm sure there is a learning curve to it. I look forward to the developers comments!

THe max IAS for Direct Link transition is 600 kph. AS the plane has artificial longitudinal stability system that requires pulling the stick as IAS grows, Direct Link operates near zero point, so as you stomp S button be ready to pull the stick as a mongoose.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team
I realize this is a open beta, but I did some quick testing and some things appear to be off, as expected in a beta. Things I have noted are:

It is way too fast. Its about 200mph too fast at altitude, as I was able to easy outpace a F-15 as I skyrocketed to 1733mph. At sea level I exceeded the generally quoted mach 1.1 top speed and hit 966mph, once again strangely faster than a F-15 by about 20 knots. The Eagle maxed out at 1474 knots at altitude, or 1690ish mph- which is much closer to its true top speed. Conditions were DCS defaults. Note: Considerable increase in fuel consumption noted. F-15 PFM consumes fuel only slightly faster than SFM. With the flanker, at SL I hit 966mph and then started slowing down as the fuel load was consumed so rapidly that the CG or something must have changed and I was slowed down by a rapid oscillation. I air-braked and attempted to re accelerate but found that I could not break 805knots and the top speed continued to descend as fuel decreased. I have no idea if this is a error regarding the fuel consumption and effects, just noting observations. For high speed tests alt was 40k.

I know its a beta, this is just stuff I've noted. Otherwise this is really cool so far. Speed thing needs fixed though. :)

Your sources are not accurate. 1.2 M at sea level at least. Clean Su-27 at high altitude has its envelope cut with directed limits - not energy limits. 2.35 M is not a physical limit but Mach heating and stability factors limit.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me