Su-27 Open-Beta chit-chat and first impressions!

JulienBlanc

Same thing for the F-15 ... NASA has flown theirs to M2.69 in one of their experiments, and someone just told me they've got the FC3 eagle with PFM up to M2.6. So I think we're good.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont dont but for me Su-27 behave strangly in the air. Trim not work for me ( both system), it is very unstable in flight comparing to F-15, got much worse stall and spin characteristic.

Also there is very strange behaviout with hard push stick - plane imidietly go on back.

Also negative G redout is very quickly and pilot got blackout.

For me these new FM for Su-27 is very strange.

F-15 fly for me much more stable and smoother.

The Su-27 in my honest opinion has so far the most interesting and complex flight model.

I love it!

If you fly her well, she'll perform miraculously well, though as soon as you get yourself in a difficult position I.E. stalls mixed with loss of control or engine shut-off it's REALLY hard to get out of if you're not flying at appropriate altitudes.

Enforcing realism!

More than delighted with the results.

----------------------------------------------------

Is it me or did I notice significant changes in the damage model as well?

Got hit by 120C, in a single player mission, some shrapnel hit my nose, air brake broke off, few holes here & there,

and it actually felt like it flew accordingly

Edited by JulienBlanc

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

256 GB SSD + 1TB HDD Crucial+ WD Blue

16 Gb Ram DDR3-1866-C9R Mhz Veng. Pro.

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

Ground handling is much more believable, no more magical instant turning ability. It's much more inline with the newer FM's.

In the air it flies like a plane to me. Can't comment on specific performance figures but it feels believable. I too have noticed it likes to pitch up hard the instant you retract the gears. I thought it was FBW and thus should negate that, but perhaps not. I remember reading some of the Russian birds use only partial FBW but can't remember which used full and which did partial. For a non-FBW plane, it does everything I'd expect. It trims out nicely once over 800km/h and isn't difficult to keep trimmed, though some adjustments are needed as speed and altitude change.

Flight with direct control is interesting. I can't say much more about it without a bit more practice. But I do get the impression we'll be seeing some impressive trick shot vids in the future. In my limited time with it, I did notice you can flame out the engines while doing things you probably shouldn't.

• ED Team
It does use FBW, but I think right now Yo-Yo is the only one who knows the details of it ... maybe Frogfoot too. I could be wrong :)

Though it uses a kind of FBW, the main principles are different from F-15. THe system has artificial "stability" imitator requiring constant stick retrimming on speed to make the plane more similar to conventional stable planes without FBW. So, it resembles more Su-25 than F-15 in longitudinal channel.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Same thing for the F-15 ... NASA has flown theirs to M2.69 in one of their experiments, and someone just told me they've got the FC3 eagle with PFM up to M2.6. So I think we're good.

I cannot see how that was accomplished. Ive tested many times even before the flanker PFM and top speed is about 1474knots every time. The proof exists on the F-15C main page though, where the performance charts are posted.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Weed Be gone Needed

Your sources are not accurate. 1.2 M at sea level at least. Clean Su-27 at high altitude has its envelope cut with directed limits - not energy limits. 2.35 M is not a physical limit but Mach heating and stability factors limit.

So having done more testing I have noticed the following: I can only achieve the aforementioned speed if I start at 40k with a full tank of gas. An impossibility in real life since I have somehow climbed to altitude without using any fuel. Once I accelerate, I can briefly achieve 1506 knots before the plane rapidly decelerates once it reaches a certain fuel point at about 75% fuel. I have found that starting at any fuel load of 75% or less results in top speeds of 1460 knots or whereabouts. Is this the instability you are referring to?

Edited by USARStarkey

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Weed Be gone Needed

This thing is hard to fly, which is great as the previous version was too easy to fly. I've tried doing a cobra but usually end up in a inverted flat spin. I have tried formation online with someone and it's much harder now, I seem to be either going too fast or too slow as if the throttle is delayed slightly which means I overshoot lead or I'm too slow. I'm not sure if that's either a bug or realistic. I might just have to get used to it.

Anyway, It's a fantastic feeling flying this bird. Great work ED.

Did I miss somethinmgs for the engines Start up? The keys which are assigned by default are right shift + Home to start the engines, but when I press them, there doesnt happen anythings? No chance to start the engines...so thats why I am asking whether I missed any note about that!?

What I really really like is that the SU-27 has a Pilotbody...awesome:thumbup:

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

• ED Team
This thing is hard to fly, which is great as the previous version was too easy to fly. I've tried doing a cobra but usually end up in a inverted flat spin. I have tried formation online with someone and it's much harder now, I seem to be either going too fast or too slow as if the throttle is delayed slightly which means I overshoot lead or I'm too slow. I'm not sure if that's either a bug or realistic. I might just have to get used to it.

Anyway, It's a fantastic feeling flying this bird. Great work ED.

S key works as a toggle. Press it, pull the stick and then as the plane begins to recover press S again to turn FBW system again.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Very nice flight model, agile and fast.

Well done ED

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I already had a great time with it today - like it very much and although it´s not the easiest to fly I´ve managed to do a few cobras and some other stuff.

But I got into a few horrible situations as well from which I wasn´t able to recover :D

Sometimes it happened that I ended up heads down - no chance of getting the nose back down or rolling over again.

Not sure though what got me into this situation in the first time and if there are counter measures - does anyone know this situation and has some advice?

how do you actually download it? DCS Updater exe does not detect an available update, i ran the DCS repair and made sure my game not broken.....

you need to download the open beta: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/de/downloads/world/dcs_world_open_beta/

after it has been installed it will move all needed files from your current DCS World installation into the new OB Directories. Provide enough HD space, OB eats roundabout 16GB and I dont even have all Modules

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

you need to download the open beta: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/de/downloads/world/dcs_world_open_beta/

after it has been installed it will move all needed files from your current DCS World installation into the new OB Directories. Provide enough HD space, OB eats roundabout 16GB and I dont even have all Modules

Do you need separate keys for products and do you need to install all modules again?

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Do you need separate keys for products and do you need to install all modules again?

No, no seperate keys as you already own the Modules and yes, you need to install them all again. Once DCS World 1.2.11 has been installed and launched the first time, you need to go to the Module Manager and just press OK on the window that indicates the Modules that can be installed...the whole process is more or less automated...very easy and very userfriendly

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Im new with FC in DCS ( before i tried FC 2.0 and earlier version) but when i tried new F-15 comparing to new Su27 i think F-15 fly much more beliveable to me then Su27. F-15 react as i expect from such plane and i think it have very good flight model.

But Su27?

Negative pitch in Su27 made crazy things with plane, not possible to do in F-15. F-15 stall with negative pitch but in natural way, Su27 with negaitve pitch just suddelny move to on its back react very strange.

Also trimms for me dont do not any notiacble job. The same with alternative timm - with button3 on joy - dont make any change in trimm - i press and hold button move stick then off button - not any noticable change for me ( i got FF stick).

I think old Mig29 behave more beliveable to me then new Su27.

Did I miss somethinmgs for the engines Start up? The keys which are assigned by default are right shift + Home to start the engines, but when I press them, there doesnt happen anythings? No chance to start the engines...so thats why I am asking whether I missed any note about that!?

What I really really like is that the SU-27 has a Pilotbody...awesome:thumbup:

Try RSHIFT + L to turn on the electronics for the aircraft if you haven't already.

Try RSHIFT + L to turn on the electronics for the aircraft if you haven't already.

I figured that starting both engines at once (right Shift + Home) doesnt work (may be due to lack of electric power as you said), but when I start the engines individually (right Alt + Home = left and right Ctrl + Home = right), so it works well...

what really impresses me is the look when the HUD comes up....awesome...well done ED.

The FM might need some adjutments for low level flying as the pitch goes crazy...I try to record a video tomorrow...

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

I'm a bit disappointed, looking at the replies apparently no one else still has SFM. My Flanker is definitely still SFM for whatever reason, I get scripted stalls. I have the new HDD and physics set to sim mode.

Is the PFM Flanker only in the stand alone version for now?

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• ED Team
I'm a bit disappointed, looking at the replies apparently no one else still has SFM. My Flanker is definitely still SFM for whatever reason, I get scripted stalls. I have the new HDD and physics set to sim mode.

Is the PFM Flanker only in the stand alone version for now?

Its only in the Open Beta, are you trying it in Open Beta?

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Its only in the Open Beta, are you trying it in Open Beta?

Yes, open beta version 1.2.11.33866 Flaming Cliffs 3

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files